Logo by Khaotik - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit the official fractalforums.com Youtube Channel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 19, 2024, 06:19:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Fragmentarium 3DickUlus - Notes & Suggestions  (Read 7922 times)
Description: V1.0.6 3dickulus build
Crist-JRoger
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2015, 04:20:29 PM »

Wow! That's cool, cause yesterday I was thinking about reminding you of it. Really need it, especially I am putting together a 'project framework' to share with the community including some building blocks and includable fractal formulas plus a mixer for them. Not all people using frag are comfortable coding so I am trying to make a flexible fractal mixer that will make it easy to create simple hybrids.

Priceless!
For the umpteenth time I've noticed that you're reading my mind. Good luck! I am looking forward to what will happen  wink

Patryk Kizny
Global Moderator
Fractal Fertilizer

kizny
« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2015, 02:27:04 PM »

Since there's already a 'copy group' option, I would suggest can we add subpresets - i.e. presets only for the groups?
Would be very handy.

Visual Artist, Director & Cinematographer specialized in emerging imaging techniques.
3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2015, 07:15:55 PM »

A preset can contain a subset only and is still valid
you can delete the ones you don't want
try "Copy Group" and paste in the text editor as the body of a preset, "build" and apply new preset
With two or more tabs/frags open you can "Copy Group" in one and "Paste Settings" in another
the "Paste Settings" function will paste text from any where
does not have to be a complete set
what ever is currently in the clipboard buffer and will try to interpret the lines as settings.

but I have a feeling you are after something like this...
Code:
#preset breakupandisolate
[Camera]
FOV = 0.6
Eye = 0,-0.733594,-0.415778
Target = -0.0108556,8.1012,0.541778
Up = 0.0194578,-0.102568,0.946549

[Raytracer]
FocalPlane = 1
Aperture = 0
InFocusAWidth = 0
ApertureNbrSides = 5
ApertureRot = 0
ApStarShaped = false
Detail = -6.6
DetailAO = -2.783133
FudgeFactor = 0.06
MaxRaySteps = 5000
MaxDistance = 10
Dither = 1
NormalBackStep = 1

etc...
#endpreset

I may add "Group to preset" button wink

I have seen some people's fragments with NO Default preset, although this works it is NOT recommended, the Default preset should contain ALL uniforms used in a fragment that are intended to be available in the user interface, this includes uniforms from all other #include-d fragments.

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

#B^] https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Fractals/fragmentarium
Patryk Kizny
Global Moderator
Fractal Fertilizer

kizny
« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2015, 07:25:02 PM »

I know I can do presets only for subsets in the main presets selector.
I was thinking about a separate drop-down UI widget in the group to call presets only for that group.

Visual Artist, Director & Cinematographer specialized in emerging imaging techniques.
3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2015, 07:39:18 PM »

hmmm... that functionality exists as described above, I do not want to write "preset tracking" on a group by group basis, the code base is already very complex and I think that would just amount to too much clutter for my little brain to manage, I am just barely managing as it is, bugs, typos, flakes (bad coding practices) still get through because I just don't have the time and resources to exhaustively test everything against everything to make sure all is playing nicely together, so far so good, v1.0.15 will fix a few of these that I have found but probably have not even been noticed by users that just want to explore.

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

Patryk Kizny
Global Moderator
Fractal Fertilizer

kizny
« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2015, 06:44:59 PM »

Just a question - I think I could have reported that earlier.
Is there any particular reason I can't use bitmaps wider than 2K pixels?
Can you fix it in the upcoming releases? I'd love to use really large maps for backgrounds.

Patryk Kizny
Global Moderator
Fractal Fertilizer

kizny
« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2015, 07:34:06 PM »

I can also confirm that there is some mess with the maps. Please  see attached the tracer I am using.
The map for background seems to be working randomly. Most of the time Frag does confuse file references and as a result, the texture being used for BgMap comes from EnvMapDiffuse or EnvMapSpecular.
Sometimes if I want to display a map for background, the only way is to assign it to all 3 file slots I have in my raytracer. I don't think it's related to the code I am using, looks like there's something messed internally.
What also happens is that a correct map for background seem to be assigned only right after clearing texture cache, but even without any changes, the next compile messes maps.

BgMap references are in lines 483 - 540, particularly 510 in the DE-PK-1.3.frag.
Other maps used are referenced in 925 onwards.

* Test-2.jpg (117.59 KB, 1455x1158 - viewed 565 times.)
* Test-2_Files.rar (29.36 KB - downloaded 122 times.)

3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2015, 03:37:12 AM »

again I stress that all required files should be included...

try putting your maps in Test-2_Files folder and make sure the sampler widget only has the filename without the full path
(yes this could use some work so users don't have to worry about it, like stripping path from name and gathering all maps together automatically when saving frags, I'm sure it finds the maps when running on your system)

when I load Test-2 after fixing the filenames in the preset...

Code:
Added texture: BgMap -> /home/uname/Fragmentarium/Examples/Include/Ditch-River_2k.hdr
Added texture: EnvMapSpecular -> /home/uname/Fragmentarium/Examples/Include/Ditch-River_2k.hdr
Added texture: EnvMapDiffuse -> /home/uname/Fragmentarium/Examples/Include/Ditch-River_Env.hdr
Setting texture to: /home/uname/Fragmentarium/Examples/Include/Ditch-River_2k.hdr
Setting texture to: /home/uname/Fragmentarium/Examples/Include/Ditch-River_2k.hdr
Setting texture to: /home/uname/Fragmentarium/Examples/Include/Ditch-River_Env.hdr
Fragment shader compiled with warnings: Fragment info
-------------
0(111) : warning C7011: implicit cast from "int" to "float"
0(115) : warning C7011: implicit cast from "int" to "float"
0(120) : warning C7011: implicit cast from "vec4" to "vec3"
0(127) : warning C7011: implicit cast from "vec4" to "vec3"
0(141) : warning C7011: implicit cast from "int" to "float"
0(149) : warning C7011: implicit cast from "int" to "float"
0(294) : warning C7011: implicit cast from "int" to "float"
0(1592) : warning C7011: implicit cast from "int" to "float"
0(1592) : warning C7011: implicit cast from "int" to "float"
0(1599) : warning C7011: implicit cast from "int" to "float"
0(1608) : warning C7011: implicit cast from "int" to "float"
0(1785) : warning C7011: implicit cast from "int" to "float"
0(1786) : warning C7011: implicit cast from "int" to "float"
0(1827) : warning C7011: implicit cast from "float" to "vec3"
0(1889) : warning C7623: implicit narrowing of type from "vec3" to "float"
0(2191) : warning C7011: implicit cast from "int" to "float"
0(2245) : warning C7011: implicit cast from "float" to "vec3"
0(2430) : warning C7011: implicit cast from "int" to "float"
0(2430) : warning C7011: implicit cast from "float" to "vec3"
0(1093) : warning C7050: "hitMat.diffuse" might be used before being initialized
0(1093) : warning C7050: "hitMat.specular" might be used before being initialized
0(1093) : warning C7050: "hitMat.diffExp" might be used before being initialized
0(1093) : warning C7050: "hitMat.specExp" might be used before being initialized
0(1093) : warning C7050: "hitMat.specMax" might be used before being initialized
0(1093) : warning C7050: "hitMat.glossiness" might be used before being initialized
0(1093) : warning C7050: "hitMat.dirt" might be used before being initialized
0(1093) : warning C7050: "hitMat.matte" might be used before being initialized
0(1292) : warning C7050: "totalLight" might be used before being initialized
0(1293) : warning C7050: "totalShadow" might be used before being initialized

Found texture in cache: /home/uname/Fragmentarium/Examples/Include/Ditch-River_2k.hdr (id: 3)
Found texture in cache: /home/uname/Fragmentarium/Examples/Include/Ditch-River_Env.hdr (id: 4)
Found texture in cache: /home/uname/Fragmentarium/Examples/Include/Ditch-River_2k.hdr (id: 3)

and Help->Clear Texture Cache...
Code:
Removing texture from cache: /home/toonfish/Fragmentarium/Examples/Include/Ditch-River_2k.hdr
Removing texture from cache: /home/toonfish/Fragmentarium/Examples/Include/Ditch-River_Env.hdr

after clearing textures and building script I get segfault  huh? yes needs some work  angry but I have to figure out if it is internal (C++ side) or due to the errors that show up at frag compile time.

so...

when I remove #include "Presets-Camera-Z-Up.frag" and set the filenames in the Default preset to files that actually exist Fragmentarium-1.0.15 behaves the same as Fragmentarium-master (original version) no segfault and clear cache seems to work. From this I deduce that the problem is with "Presets-Camera-Z-Up.frag" and maybe the "might be used before being initialized" and all the "implicit cast from..." warnings.

if you can correct these warnings and put the maps in the Test-2_Files folder I will be able to test...

edit: include the Milkyway_preview.jpg file too please.
tip: setting eye or target 0,0,0 is not a good idea. afaik 0 axis has always been problematic with DEs
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 04:15:02 AM by 3dickulus » Logged

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2015, 06:45:04 AM »

Just a question - I think I could have reported that earlier.
Is there any particular reason I can't use bitmaps wider than 2K pixels?
Can you fix it in the upcoming releases? I'd love to use really large maps for backgrounds.

the limit was imposed only on EXR images due to gfx card limits, I can remove the test, I understand that with GL 4.4+ sparse textures makes the limit meaningless huh? but for compatibility with older cards I would like to leave it.

have you tried other format images as textures larger than 2048? I imposed no limit for jpg png tga bmp etc...  if you find they have the same problem then I don't think there is anything I can do about it as it's imposed in areas of code I don't have control over like Qt, GL, System libs, etc...

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

Patryk Kizny
Global Moderator
Fractal Fertilizer

kizny
« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2015, 01:17:27 PM »

It's same for JPGs and other formats.

3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2015, 03:24:53 PM »

very odd, I just tested a 3840x2160 jpg texture and it seems fine  huh? v1.0.15

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

Tim Emit
Conqueror

https://www.facebook.com/
« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2016, 07:32:40 PM »

Really interesting thread, thanks and thanks 3d for all the hard work. I will work my way through it and try to get to grips. : )
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: