Logo by Tglad - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Did you know ? you can use LaTex inside Postings on fractalforums.com!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 29, 2024, 05:58:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Fragmentarium 3DickUlus - Notes & Suggestions  (Read 7694 times)
Description: V1.0.6 3dickulus build
3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2015, 06:06:01 AM »

FIXED:
3) Really annoying, but I guess it is something coming from QT - when I want to type in an value into textfield next to slider it after each keystroke it parses the value and pads it automatically so it is not possible anymore to enter next digit. You have to select next digit manually, delete it and then type again.

in file VariableWidget.h

line 56                connect(spinner, SIGNAL(editingFinished()), this, SLOT(spinnerChanged()));
line 92            void spinnerChanged() {
line 172                connect(spinner, SIGNAL(editingFinished()), this, SLOT(spinnerChanged()));
line 183            void spinnerChanged() {

these lines are all that is needed to make ALL float/int input boxes trigger update only when <ENTER> is pressed or the widget looses focus cheesy will be in the next posting of source and exe files at digilanti.org/fragmentarium/ ... comming soon wink

@PK tnx for pushing the issue A Beer Cup

edit:ok it's a tad more complicated than that but I do have it working nice wink
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 07:33:36 AM by 3dickulus, Reason: working nice » Logged

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

#B^] https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Fractals/fragmentarium
Patryk Kizny
Global Moderator
Fractal Fertilizer

kizny
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2015, 04:29:50 PM »

For example I wanted to animate int frame slider (since time wasn't reliable).
Another case - I needed a few params to tweak the matrix transformations on a vector. Just to dynamically multiply by -1/0/1. Ivec3 would be handy but did not work.

Visual Artist, Director & Cinematographer specialized in emerging imaging techniques.
3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2015, 04:09:01 AM »

When adding things to Fragmentarium source I try to consider "How does this help me explore fractals?" the weight of the answer determines how much the idea will dominate my tinkering with the code.

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

Patryk Kizny
Global Moderator
Fractal Fertilizer

kizny
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2015, 07:36:56 PM »

I think there's a few bugs probably introduced when the spacebar toggle feature was added.

Step by step:

1. Start fragmentarium, defaults to progressive mode, select a preset.
--> At this step [stop] button won't stop the subframes increments

2. Switch to animation mode and apply an animated preset
--> [stop] button does not stop animation. You need to hit spacebar to stop toggle.
--> [play] button does not start animation either.
--> [<<] button wont rewind to first frame.
3. Switch back to progressive
Now it is not possible to have subframe buffer increment at all. Play button won't work.
Sometimes it works if you click on buffer image and drag

Visual Artist, Director & Cinematographer specialized in emerging imaging techniques.
3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2015, 08:36:10 PM »

check the date of the most recent package v1.0.9 on my website, yours must be pre Aug 01
has nothing to do with the spacebar play/stop toggle, this happened while getting some things straightened out with scripting and I forgot to put it back

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

Patryk Kizny
Global Moderator
Fractal Fertilizer

kizny
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2015, 09:01:01 PM »

I must have missed the minor change. The latest build fixed that, thanks.

Another handy UI suggestion - doublclicking the slider's handle could reset UI widget to default.

3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2015, 09:10:53 PM »

no

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

Patryk Kizny
Global Moderator
Fractal Fertilizer

kizny
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2015, 09:50:03 PM »

I noticed Frag does not behave as expected regarding one aspect - properly interpreting #ifdefs.
It looks like it ignores them for clreaing UI widgets.

Say:
Code:
#ifdef USE_BACKGROUND
uniform bool BgUseMap; checkbox[false]
uniform bool BgExcludeFromPost; checkbox[false]
uniform bool BgMapEquirectangular; checkbox[false]
uniform sampler2D BgMap; file[Ditch-River_2k.hdr]
uniform vec3 BgMapScale; slider[(0,0,0),(1,1,1),(1,1,1)]
uniform vec3 BgMapOffset; slider[(0,0,0),(0,0,0),(1,1,1)]
#endif

Regardless of whether I use the #define USDE_BACKGROUND or not, it always adds the sliders on build.

Syntopia
Fractal Molossus

syntopiadk
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2015, 12:29:26 AM »

The way I originally implemented the GLSL -> widget thing, was to scan the script for these special uniform lines. This scanning process does not respect #ifdef's. That is probably still the same.
3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2015, 04:48:25 AM »

yes, the magic of converting to shader program is not something I messed with.

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

Patryk Kizny
Global Moderator
Fractal Fertilizer

kizny
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2015, 11:37:47 AM »

Ok, would be handy to add it if its not a problem.
As the code grows and one focuses on efficiency and optimization it looks like a good idea to use IFDEFS rather than if statements and it would be good if UI responded to it. In my version of the raytracer it's already pretty crowded there so hiding unused tabs would be of value.

3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2015, 03:25:45 PM »

you could just comment them out  undecided

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

Patryk Kizny
Global Moderator
Fractal Fertilizer

kizny
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2015, 02:56:03 AM »

Here's one more thought.
Currently I think it is not possible to add include paths to network drives.
I guess this is because Frag seems to be taking all strings as relative to Frag folder.
Would be nice if it was possible.

Please consider this (and all the stuff above) a suggestion for consideration, not a 'want it now' feature request.

3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2015, 03:24:28 AM »

here I use full path and it seems to load files from anywhere but I don't have network drives,
for included files it searches first in the folder you loaded the frag from then looks for includes folder relative to the executable, if you can load a frag from network drive it should look there first for included files.

PS: you can set the default search path by selecting the menu item Edit->Preferences
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 07:29:46 AM by 3dickulus » Logged

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

Patryk Kizny
Global Moderator
Fractal Fertilizer

kizny
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2015, 02:26:05 PM »

I have just updated the files on my website, all you need is the exe-only zip file, preserve your current exe's by renaming or moving before putting the new ones in their place just in case.
this update should run smoother on both nV and AMD, post a note in the threads if you have any problems or successes.

On NV this works, but I don't see a significant boost.
On the wicked machine with R9280 it works as expected.
What's weirdest is that now 1.09 and earlier versions work too! And I did not touch windows or drivers. Pretty weird.

However, I am not sure if it is this version on matter of moving to NV, the compiler sees to behave unpredictably, sometimes boasting 2 minutes compile time and sometimes falling out of memory errors. My frags have grown a bit, but not enormously and this is a 32GB Ram and 12GB VRam machine. And it's sort of random - same frag sometimes would compile in 500ms and sometimes it gets stuck.

Is there any way of troubleshooting that? i.e. some sort of insight into what tasks take that much time and what are the parts where the compiler gets stuck?

« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 03:26:59 PM by Patryk Kizny » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: