Logo by JosLeys - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Support us via Flattr FLATTR Link

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 28, 2024, 03:51:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Got Fascinated with the Mandelbrot Set  (Read 505 times)
Description: ...and wrote an interactive online generator for it
edsuom
Forums Newbie

« on: May 25, 2015, 08:42:08 AM »

A few weeks ago, I was thinking about what to use for a simple demonstration of my AsynQueue asynchronous task queuing library for Python, now that I've been working on it again after a seven-year hiatus. Computation of the Mandelbrot set was listed somewhere as an "embarrassingly parallel" algorithm, and the simplicity was appealing: z=z2+c. This should be a quick one, I thought.

Well, you can guess how that turned out. Worlds within worlds! Seahorses and swirls and spirals and minibrots galore. This thing was fascinating. And then there were the wonderful challenges of computational optimization, and putting my software to work to most effectively dispatch the number crunching to the cores of my multicore CPU.

The result is online for you to play around with if you like, at mcm.edsuom.com. Just click on the image to have my quad-core virtual private server compute another one centered on that spot, zoomed in 5x. And on and on it can go, to the limits of the machine's double-precision floats.
TheRedshiftRider
Fractalist Chemist
Global Moderator
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 09:17:31 AM »

Welcome. Nice that you have been experimenting. This site is the right place to get more information about the mandelbrot set. But 3d fra
ctals. And Have a look at software section. It has some great programs to explore. Oh.. and theres a contest going on, you may be able to enter.

Motivation is like a salt, once it has been dissolved it can react with things it comes into contact with to form something interesting. nerd
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: