Logo by Cyclops - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Did you know ? you can use LaTex inside Postings on fractalforums.com!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 29, 2024, 10:13:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Feature requests - v1.2 OpenCL, Z-Buffer, IFS folding, Hybrid  (Read 1330 times)
Description: Another VFX artist's requests.
Patryk Kizny
Global Moderator
Fractal Fertilizer

kizny
« on: May 23, 2015, 06:21:21 PM »

Dear all,

I've been seriously testing all the software that is available out there.
My interest is mostly creating high-end cinematic visuals and animations for a personal project.

Mandelbulber 3D OpenCL v 1.2 is so far the most fulfilling software for what I'd like to do.
On a good 64bit machine with strong GPU the performance is great and is well beyond everything else on the market (except for latest subblue's stuff, which is out of reach for mortals).

However, there's a series of things that are blocking me with my project.
1) Very limited formulas set. I would need the ability to add foldings and symmetry or use Hybrid formulas.
I know there is support for custom formulas, but I'd need some help getting through basic implementations. Is there anyone who could help or point me to a good set of tutorials on how to implement basic stuff? I am not a professional developer, but have some basic scripting knowledge and used to do some OOP years ago. So I probably could get into the stuff pretty quickly with a bit of help, just to work around the current limitations in terms of formulas avail.

2) Z-Buffer - that's crucial for VFX pipeline and making the renderings usable.

I know there's already V2, but looks like there's no OpenCL features yet and feature set is quite limited. I know it takes time.

Is there any chance someone could help me (and hordes of other VFX folks) out and add Z-Buffer to V1.2 OpenCL?
Is there any ETA or roadmap for V2 developments?

Thank you!

Visual Artist, Director & Cinematographer specialized in emerging imaging techniques.
mclarekin
Fractal Senior

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 01:07:14 AM »

Hello and welcome to the forums

Most of what I do is using openCL custom formulas Mandelbulbers v1.21

I wrote some basic tutorials here

http://www.fractalforums.com/tutorials-b230/

Patryk Kizny
Global Moderator
Fractal Fertilizer

kizny
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 09:58:15 AM »

Many thanks. Already got through it and that helps a bit.
Now a million dollar question.

In 1.12 there was a great save layers option.
http://www.fractalforums.com/gallery-b177/image-layers-in-separate-files/

Is there any chance to get it working in 1.21 OpenCL?
Is it the matter of simply including the old code in the new OpenCL software or it needs to be recoded from scratch?
Would anybody help with this? Would make my day!

Visual Artist, Director & Cinematographer specialized in emerging imaging techniques.
youhn
Fractal Molossus

Shapes only exists in our heads.

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 11:47:31 AM »

The current development focus of Mandelbulber is on v2, see https://github.com/buddhi1980/mandelbulber2

There is no roadmap with dates, but there is a list of features with some notes:

• rendering of trigonometric, hypercomplex, mandelbox, IFS and many other 3D fractals
  • complex 3D ray-traced shading: hard shadows, ambient occlusion, depth of field, translucency & refraction, etc.
  • rich GUI in Qt 5 environment
  • unlimited image resolution on 64-bit systems
  • program compiled for x86 and x64 CPUs (Linux, Windows, OS X)
  • simple 3D navigator
  • network rendering
  • key-frame animation of all parameters (not yet in v2, currently under development)
  • OpenCL support (not yet in v2)

The main principle for this v2 version is rewrite everything from scratch. Looking at the source code can give hint at the possibilities. For example, there is a "cImage class - manipulation of multi-layer images" which sound promising.

My goal is to focus on formulas in Mandelbulber v2. Will continue as soon as I have a working PC with Linux again (at the moment only restricted laptop from work, with M$ Windows).

While it's not on the feature list, Mandelbulber v2 can do hybrid fractals.

There is also (box) folding with the IFS fractal, but I'm not sure if we are talking about the exact same thing. I've been created images like this with IFS in Mandelbulber v2:

Source: http://jeroensnake.deviantart.com/art/Pillar-of-Division-502695354

Source: http://jeroensnake.deviantart.com/art/Color-Folding-505852854
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 11:57:11 AM by youhn » Logged
Patryk Kizny
Global Moderator
Fractal Fertilizer

kizny
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2015, 02:00:03 PM »

Thank you yohun for an update.
As for V2 if you can add layers to the list of the most expected features - would be fantastic.
Import/export features for camera work would be a great thing as well, but I can live without it.

Yes, I realize V2 may be the priority, but also since it's a community driven software I don't expect quick progress.
So I thought along the lines: If there was a feature that was working in previous version and if 1.21 already has a decent feature set including OpenCL support, maybe someone would be so kind to put an hour or 2 and enable layers in 1.21. So I'm still hoping for help on this one.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: