Logo by Trifox - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit the official fractalforums.com Youtube Channel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 23, 2024, 06:27:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: 3d-Navi shows just noise, not the actual picture..  (Read 2412 times)
Chillheimer
Global Moderator
Fractal Schemer

Just another fractal being floating by..

chilli.chillheimer chillheimer
« on: May 22, 2015, 12:04:00 PM »

Hi guys!
I found a really lovely location, but I have problems navigating to the structures I see in the final render. The 3d-Navi just shows noise.  (attached)
(full res: http://orig10.deviantart.net/2e34/f/2015/142/4/a/filigran_temple_by_chillheimer-d8ua59s.jpg

If I increase dynamic fog I get some kind if "x-ray" vision in the navi, which helps a little, but still the structures look very different than in the render.
I've noticed that during rendering in the main view, the structures only become visible after "ambient shadows" have been calculated. before its nearly as noisy as in the navi.

Any tips how I can get a "realistic" view of what is happening in the 3d-navi? With rendertimes over 1hour per pic, it's no pleasure searching blindly for the sweetspots..

* preview.JPG (56.36 KB, 644x378 - viewed 333 times.)

--- Fractals - add some Chaos to your life and put the world in order. ---
0Encrypted0
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 12:55:01 PM »

Have you adjusted the Lightness slider in the Navi?
Also, try using a simple grayscale lighting style while exploring.
pulsar69
Navigator

https://www.facebook.com/
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 04:44:49 PM »

i think it's light adjustement problem.
Can you post the parameters ?

A topologist is someone who doesn't know the difference between a cup of coffee and a donut.
Fitz
Explorer

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 01:39:04 AM »

Though I haven't looked at the parameters, the noise is probably just a result of the type of fractal you're rendering. The navigator is going to be showing things in ultra-low quality for the sake of speed and that fractal has a lot of really fine detail, so it's going to be really hard to determine what you're actually looking at until you actually do a proper render. I've noticed similar problems in the past where fractals with a lot of really thin connecting strands like in the example you posted won't show the fine detail in the navigator but whichever thicker objects are behind them will show up.

Lowering the lighting settings in the navigation window and checking the high quality box can help things, but for something like what you posted you might just have to end up doing a full render and using that as a reference point to tweak things.

e: The actual noise image you posted wasn't loading when I wrote that and appears to be much worse than what I'm talking about. Either it's an extreme example or you might have ended up moving the camera inside one of the solid parts of the fractal, which tends to produce unintelligible noise.
Chillheimer
Global Moderator
Fractal Schemer

Just another fractal being floating by..

chilli.chillheimer chillheimer
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 03:23:12 PM »

thanks fort your answers!
it really seems like this is a pretty extreme location, with very fine structures for which the preview quality just is too low.
the lighting settings didn't make any difference, but I've played around and finally found a settting of dynamic fog that helps a little when navigating..

(nope, Idon't want to post the parameters, as long as the contest is on, maybe later wink
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 12:12:09 AM by Chillheimer » Logged

--- Fractals - add some Chaos to your life and put the world in order. ---
youhn
Fractal Molossus

Shapes only exists in our heads.

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 05:32:42 PM »

Mandelbulber does not have a navigation mode, so the navigation is in the actual render window. Good thing is that you always see what you get, bad thing is it soooo slow you have to adjust the parameters (mostly resolution and detail level) to make it navigatable. Specially when settings the resolution so low that you can record a flight path for a movie, I get the feeling that I'm kind of flying blind. The end result with more detail is almost always a surprise. Seems like this is just the way it (currently) is, whatever 3D fractal program you use ...
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: