Logo by DarkBeam - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Support us via Flattr FLATTR Link

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 27, 2024, 01:05:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Mandelbulber v2 - 2.04  (Read 8615 times)
mfg
Explorer

« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2015, 06:12:28 PM »

Code:
I have several questions:

[code]iii) If I use 'Mandelbulb' formula with power 2, I do not obtain the same figure as  'Mandelbulb classic power 2' Why?
Different formulas. (I have no idea how 'Mandelbulb classic power 2' got it's name, to me the "mandelbulb" formula is the "classic", hmmmm)

If I understand correctly, the 'Mandelbulb classic power 2' is a rectangular representation of the hypercomplex number. The 'Mandelbulb' formula is the polar representation of the same hypercomplex number. Thus, the 'Mandelbulb' formula with power 2 (which doubles the arguments) should reproduce the  'Mandelbulb classic power 2'.[/code]
Buddhi
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2015, 06:54:00 PM »

Code:
[quote author=mfg link=topic=21444.msg85369#msg85369 date=1435594348]
If I understand correctly, the 'Mandelbulb classic power 2' is a rectangular representation of the hypercomplex number. The 'Mandelbulb' formula is the polar representation of the same hypercomplex number. Thus, the 'Mandelbulb' formula with power 2 (which doubles the arguments) should reproduce the  'Mandelbulb classic power 2'.
[/quote]

The difference between 'Mandelbulb classic power 2' and Mandelbulb with power set to 2 is in swapping between sin and cos functions. 'Mandelbulb classic power 2' uses different representation of trigonometric functions, but it's still almost the same formula.
To prove this try to use Mandelbulb formula, set power = 2, alpha angle offset = 90, beta angle offset = 90. Then you will get Classic Mandelbulb Power 2.
90 degrees shift makes swapping between sinus and cosinus.

Why this formula has classic in name? Because this the first Mandelbulb shape which was discovered by Daniel White. Look here: http://www.fractalforums.com/3d-fractal-generation/true-3d-mandlebrot-type-fractal/msg4105/#msg4105

About bailout condition, it's here (compute_fractal.cpp, line 285):

Code:
		//escape conditions
if (Mode == calcModeNormal)
{
if (r > 1e2)
{
out->maxiter = false;
break;
}
}

About coloring, the program uses some kind of orbit trap calculation (at point (0,0,0)).

Code:
		else if (Mode == calcModeColouring)
{
if (fractal->formula != mandelbox)
{
if (r < minimumR) minimumR = r;
}
if (r > 1e15)
break;
}

Color index is finally calculated as minimum distance to orbit trap point.

Code:
				default:
out->colorIndex = minimumR * 5000.0;
break;

Coloring algorithm is the same for fractal surface and intersections.

David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2015, 06:46:43 PM »

Where can I find the latest stable native OSX runtime ?

The meaning and purpose of life is to give life purpose and meaning.

http://www.fractalgallery.co.uk/
"Makin' Magic Music" on Jango
zebastian
Conqueror

« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2015, 07:24:42 PM »

Where can I find the latest stable native OSX runtime ?
You can find all mandelbulber release executables under sourceforge.
Current Version is 2.04 ( otherwise I wouldn't write in this thread smiley )

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mandelbulber/files/Mandelbulber%20v2/
--} osx
AbstractBarista
Forums Newbie

« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2015, 11:56:56 PM »

Hello all, I've been playing with Mandelbulber (v2.04) for a few days now, and have ran into a problem:

I am attempting to set up Mandelbulber on a handful of local servers I have, such that I can distribute rendering workloads from my desktop machine (Win7 64bit) via NetRender.
All of these servers are running Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit headless, fully updated, with a rather stock install.  I downloaded mandelbulber2-2.04.tar.gz from the main download page, untarred, and followed README instructions for compilation.  Everything went fine.

Upon execution via command line the executable is aborting with the error:
Code:
~$ mandelbulber2 -nogui -ip 192.168.1.4
Log file name: /home/-----/.mandelbulber_log.txt
Detected 4 CPUs
Default data directory: /home/-----/.mandelbulber/
Fatal: QXcbConnection: Could not connect to display
(qxcbconnection.cpp:290, QXcbConnection::QXcbConnection(QXcbNativeInterface*, bool, const char*))
Aborted (core dumped)

Given the documentation, I would have assumed that the -nogui option (along with -ip a.b.c.d) would simply make the program connect to server (desktop) and wait for render jobs without the need for any server-side interaction whatsoever.

Interestingly, if I run this, which after Googling seemed to show promise:
Code:
~$ mandelbulber2 -platform offscreen -nogui -ip 192.168.1.4
Log file name: /home/-----/.mandelbulber_log.txt
Detected 4 CPUs
Default data directory: /home/-----/.mandelbulber/
Fatal: QFontDatabase: Cannot find font directory /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/fonts - is Qt installed correctly?
(fontdatabases/basic/qbasicfontdatabase.cpp:99, virtual void QBasicFontDatabase::populateFontDatabase())
Aborted (core dumped)

I seem to trade one error for another.  I'm sure the problem has to do with dependency on desktop libraries or displays, but how would I go about rectifying this?  These are headless machines with nothing but default terminals.

Would love to get my Mandelbulber-Cluster up and running.  grin
Thanks for the amazing software and community.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 12:04:24 AM by AbstractBarista » Logged
Buddhi
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2015, 09:06:32 AM »

I am attempting to set up Mandelbulber on a handful of local servers I have, such that I can distribute rendering workloads from my desktop machine (Win7 64bit) via NetRender.
All of these servers are running Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit headless, fully updated, with a rather stock install.  I downloaded mandelbulber2-2.04.tar.gz from the main download page, untarred, and followed README instructions for compilation.  Everything went fine.

Mandelbulber v2 doesn't work in headless mode yet. Implementation of this feature is started, but not finished yet. Headless mode is top priority on my TODO list, so you will get this feature soon.

AbstractBarista
Forums Newbie

« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2015, 03:53:14 PM »

Ahh I see - I'll be on the lookout for that version!  Thank you!!
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: