Logo by haltenny - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit the official fractalforums.com Youtube Channel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 20, 2024, 03:42:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: pixels resolution control MD3D  (Read 6184 times)
jpuget
Alien

« on: April 09, 2015, 12:01:13 PM »

Hello people, I have a problem rendering in MD3D. I need a really high quality render, i am trying with BIG render and also with the option high and improving the presets parameters ...

is there any way to control the pixels resolution? My images are big enough but they don't have enough resolution.

I have read some tutorial and that one thing that can help is the option 1:3 antialiasing but I get a bigger size image but with the same pixel resolution.

I would really appreciate any help. Thanks
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 12:10:47 PM by jpuget » Logged
ellarien
Conqueror

I like flowers

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 01:07:39 PM »

I'm not sure what you mean by 'pixel resolution'. The final resolution depends on what size you want to print/view the image. For example, to make a 6x4 inch print at 300dpi you'd need 1800x1200 pixels; you could multiply those numbers by 3 (5400x3600) and then use the 1:3 scale when saving the image to get the anti-aliasing effect. However, the amount of detail in the image depends on the DEstop -- unless you uncheck the DEstop+C checkbox at the top of the main window, Mb3D will automatically scale up the DEstop when increasing the size of the image, so you won't gain detail and might even lose some.  Not increasing it can have unexpected effects (parts of the fractal becoming so thin they disappear) but you might want to try that.

Also, check on the infos tab to see if the average/max iterations are too close to the max. iterations number you set at the bottom of the formula panel -- if they are, try increasing the max iters.

If the problem is that the image is noisy, you can try adjusting the other parameters on the calculation tab -- decrease Raystep Multiplier first, then Stepwidth Limiter if that doesn't help. Don't reduce either by too much at once -- try a factor of two, see what that does, then repeat if necessary. It should rarely be necessary to take Stepwidth Limiter below about 0.3, but I've had fractals that needed Raystep Multiplier as low as 0.01 to get a clean effect.

The final thing that can affect the level of detail is the calculation precision -- if you zoom in too far (past 1e12 or so) you hit the double precision limit and it isn't possible to render any more detail. Sadly there's nothing to be done about that except zoom out again.

thargor6
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 01:34:50 PM »

I'm not sure what you mean by 'pixel resolution'.
Maybe he just means the resolution-setting inside the image, i. e. how large it is displayed?
I can't remember an option inside MB3D to change this (per default it is probably some screen-dpi), but most external image-processing-tools should allow an option to adjust this.
jpuget
Alien

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 02:07:52 PM »

Maybe he just means the resolution-setting inside the image, i. e. how large it is displayed?
I can't remember an option inside MB3D to change this (per default it is probably some screen-dpi), but most external image-processing-tools should allow an option to adjust this.

Thank you. Yes I meant that, I want to know how to control the dpi , I can control the size and there rest of render parameters, but I can not get a very detailed imaged because of the quality of dpi. I would like to get at least a 300 dpi image.

I  am trying now uncheking the DE stop + C bottom, I will se if it works.

Thank you once again.
youhn
Fractal Molossus

Shapes only exists in our heads.

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 03:22:06 PM »

Do not try. It will not work.

You really want the resolution to be HIGH, let's say 7200 x 5400. That is all you need.

Pixel = Dot

DPI = Dots Per Inch

So you can show the picture on a smartphone, a tablat, a computer screen and a cinema screen. The same picture will have very different DPI, but the resolution will stay exactly the same. So the DPI has nothing to do with the digital picture, but only how big it is shown/printed.

Oh, the "Viewing" settings 1:1, 1:2, 1:3 etc are not DPI, but for antialiasing. For example, if you use 800 x 600 for width and heigth in "Image" together with 1:2 in "Viewing", the image will be rendered at 800x600 and then scaled back (with AA) to 400x600. This give nice smooth edges instead of funny noise, grainy things. So make sure to use a high resolution and chose "Viewing" 1:2 or higher.
DarkBeam
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Fragments of the fractal -like the tip of it

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 03:38:27 PM »

There is a "image splitting" option but don't remember where. You can render image portions then stitch again smiley

No sweat, guardian of wisdom!
ellarien
Conqueror

I like flowers

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 05:21:03 PM »

There is a "image splitting" option but don't remember where. You can render image portions then stitch again smiley

'Big Render' on the Utilities tab. But it doesn't work for DOF and restricts the ambient-shadow options.
jpuget
Alien

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2015, 05:37:20 PM »

Thank you!

I make my images 8000x6500 and they dont get HIGH RESOLUTION.

I have also tried BIG render, but does not work. What i want is to make a normal zoom and see something clear and not a diffuse drawing. Anyway it seems it is the highest quality I can get.
youhn
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2015, 06:27:00 PM »

LOL

8000x6500 = HIGH RESOLUTION

Do you have an example image of the quality you want to reach? And also one of your images to compare would be nice.
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2015, 12:37:09 AM »

Thank you!

I make my images 8000x6500 and they dont get HIGH RESOLUTION.

I have also tried BIG render, but does not work. What i want is to make a normal zoom and see something clear and not a diffuse drawing. Anyway it seems it is the highest quality I can get.

Another possibility is that you may have the "viewing" setting at something other than 1:1.  MB3D saves images at the resolution of the displayed image, so if you render huge then use the viewing feature to change the display you will get the image saved at the size displayed on your screen instead of the size at which it was rendered.

But that is just a guess as I do not understand your problem.

If none of these answers presented so far help, please post a screen shot of the settings and maybe give a little more specific details about what you want done, and what you are getting as results.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 02:03:55 AM by Sockratease, Reason: Clarity » Logged

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
lenord
Fractal Bachius

No Matter where you go there you are

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2015, 02:32:43 AM »

I'm not understanding the question is completely either....if it's DPI that's not controllable in MB3D it will take an external Editor to change the DPI from 72 or 100DPI whichever MB3D is on Jpeg images, I always save in PNG and convert to 300Dpi in Photoshop for any Jpeg for print quality.

If your just talking Image resolution/Size it's whatever you make it, pick the Resolution/Size you want Render at 1:1 and save at 1:1 and it will be Full Resolution for the Image Size chosen...If your talking Quality of the Render then your talking Render settings Stepwidth Limiter/Raystep Multiplier number of steps etc.

On Size alone you need to remember MB3D is a 32 bit program thus you only have 4Gig of RAM available to the program which will limit the maximum size, if you want Huge Size you will need to use the Big Render option, Render in sections and stitch them together in an External Editor.

It almost sounds like to me you're talking Quality of Render which is Render settings.....the High Quality Render settings (the Button for HQ) is just an arbitrary starting point you can change them for what ever you want to try. The lower the SWL/RSM and higher number of steps increase Render quality....The Higher quality the Render settings the Longer the Render Time.
jpuget
Alien

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2015, 02:38:06 PM »

this png image is 13 Mb. I made the render with HQ and with a size of 8000x6000 and saved it as 1:3 aa. When I zoom in in photoshop everything is a bit blurred even if I transform it to 300 dpi. Is there any way to improve the image definition without using BIG Render?

Thats all, sorry if I don't know to explain it better...

* Screen Shot 2015-04-15 at 14.37.42.png (202.91 KB, 351x260 - viewed 2114 times.)
ellarien
Conqueror

I like flowers

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2015, 03:11:45 PM »

If you save at 1:3 aa you should use sharp=3 for the best results. Other than that, it's bound to look blurry if you zoom in past the "actual pixels" point where one screen pixel corresponds to one image pixel, regardless of the dpi setting -- that applies to any image, not just Mb3D.

youhn
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2015, 08:26:59 PM »

I've got the feeling your expectation are just unreal. Zooming in digital images ALWAYS ends up in blurriness. Could you post the original PNG for us to inspect?
Madman
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2015, 09:20:20 PM »

There's a lot of confusion going on here... First let's look at the dpi issue. dpi is only useful if we are talking about printing pictures. The dpi value is a measure for the printed resolution of the picture. There is no relation at all with the screen resolution (= # of pixels). A 1920 X 1080 picture will always be full screen on a 1920 X 1080 monitor, no matter if you have defined it as a 150 dpi picture or as a 300 dpi picture. If you print it however, the 300 dpi picture will be 0.25 times the size of the 150 dpi picture.

However, PS does something to the image if you change the dpi value and have the wrong boxes ticked.. If you have "resample image" selected and you increase the dpi value, PS will increase the screen resolution of the picture, trying to guess the pixels in between, thus keeping the printed size the same. The result is in most cases close to awful and resampling will only work OK if you scale down the image (you are effectively anti-aliasing the image in that case).

Now to the problem of jpuget: If you render a picture in M3D @ 8000 X 6000 and 3 X AA, your resulting image will be 2667 X 2000. At that resolution, the picture should be razorsharp if you have set the"sharpen factor" to "3". If you try to blow it back up to 8000 X 6000 in PS it will indeed be blurry for the reasons just explained.

If that's not your problem, I'm at a loss, just like all the other posters here  embarrass. In that case you better post a part of the 100% picture in this thread and / or post the parameters if you want us to help. If you don't want to make your parameters public, you can always PM me  Azn.

All I want is a warm bed, a kind word and unlimited power (Ashleigh Brilliant)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: