Logo by KRAFTWERK - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Follow us on Twitter

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 29, 2024, 06:01:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: My initial ideas for continued development to MB3D  (Read 11639 times)
schizo
Iterator

« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2015, 10:37:23 PM »

I am so happy to read of continued development of MB3D joy love thank you post swing

I wouldn't focus on complete refactoring. Fixing easy to fix bug, slight improvements would be a great start.
Two ideas:
1. A quite simple but really helpful feature for setting values:
select a slider whose value you want ot change (for instance X-pos of a positional light)
press a hotkey (ie 'v' for value).
a small window opens and shows the numeric value of the slider.
you can now change the value on a numeric basis.
this would be in some situation be more accurate, when the smallest movement of the slider is still too big (I had this situation various times).

2. A pure XML-Export of the parameters could open new possibilities for automation. For instance you could create flights via scripts by setting the camera position to the wanted position or let positional lights move at a perfect sinus wave. The actual format is great for sharing but an extra more open format would be cool.

A formula editor would be also very cool. But I think this is a bigger project and good performance maybe hard to reach.

Resizable navigator - also yeah.

Thumbs up to all who help to keep Mandelbulb 3D alive.
Andreas, hit the keys  wink

thargor6
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2015, 11:53:17 PM »

Thanks!

I'm currently working on enhancing the formula-window to show changes you make on parameters and combinations on formulas automatically, and to make the window resizable, and finally increase the numbers of possible formulas of 8. Sounds not to be a big step, but the latter causes a huge number of changes, and requires new revisions for all file-formats involved, and will require a lot of testing. (Increasing the number further would need even more changes (types of certain properties has to change), but I dont want too many changes at once, because of stability reasons.

I think an XML-format would be excellent at all. Maybe even as replacement of the current *.m3p-format. It would be too large for sharing params at dA, so the current "clipboard-format" has to remain.

Andreas

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2015, 10:41:40 AM »

Regarding xml... and copy paste sharing... like i told in another thread, zip compresdion and base 64 encoding is the way to go, when compressing redundancy might not be an issue, but going straight for a json format wouldnt be wrong as well because the information density would be more compact... judt my five cents very nice to hear that you are already able to compile (what ide are you using for that huh? ) and digged into it already, getting familar to the inner structure obviously takes long time

fiddling with formula amounts might already be a too big step...

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
thargor6
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2015, 02:57:57 PM »

I think would prefer XML as there are many tools which help you create/edit such files with syntax check/highlighting.
For compression: does anybody know what is the size-limit of params in order to exchange them via deviantArt or Facebook?

I'm currently using Delphi XE6 for compiling.
ellarien
Conqueror

I like flowers

« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2015, 09:03:04 PM »

For compression: does anybody know what is the size-limit of params in order to exchange them via deviantArt or Facebook?

There's a 64K limit on text-based submissions to DA, which I guess would apply to the text that goes with an image as well. If you submit as a zipped file you can go up to 200Mb. I find it hard to imagine even the 64K being a problem for parameter sharing -- a more practical limit would be that it's a pain to copy-paste more than a couple of screens at a  time, though I have seen people post quite long flame params. It looks as though the limit on Facebook posts is just under 64K: https://www.facebook.com/schrep/posts/203969696349811

thargor6
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2015, 10:13:00 PM »

I find it hard to imagine even the 64K being a problem for parameter sharing
I think this is fine and much enough, thanks for the info!
xenodreambuie
Conqueror

« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2015, 12:20:14 AM »

As XML is quite verbose, I think it's worth minimizing the size for convenience. I find that zip plus base64 encoding cuts size of my text plus numbers parameters to about a third of the original size.

Regards, Garth
http://xenodream.com
thargor6
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2015, 12:51:41 AM »

As XML is quite verbose, I think it's worth minimizing the size for convenience.
Agree, the current idea is to make an XML-format, but save it somewhat compressed.

Maybe to make it even to a container-format (like OpenOffice-formats), allowing to include additional data (e. g. maps).
0Encrypted0
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2015, 02:34:43 AM »

Maybe to make it even to a container-format (like OpenOffice-formats), allowing to include additional data (e. g. maps).

Any chance of including the formulas themselves as assembly code so parameters with custom formulas can be easily shared?

thargor6
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2015, 01:17:31 PM »

Just an update: I will approximately need another 1-2 weeks to finish the new major JWildfire-release, then I will come back to MB3D to work on the new release
cricke49
Alien

« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2016, 10:49:21 PM »

Andreas, i like the new v190, even though i'm using the FinalBeta version, i have no complaints whatsoever, you've done a bang up job implementing the Muta-Generator, and being able to change the interface is outstanding, which i think is great, i think sometimes ppl go way beyond what MB3D is capable of performing, to me everything is simple and when you try to push the envelope that's when the crashes happen! Much applause Andreas to your valiant effort! Cantor Dance Cantor Dance joy : cheesy
thargor6
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2016, 12:45:18 AM »

Thanks for the encouraging words! Not many crashes were reported yet, but I can imagine that people are complaining a lot about them at their social platforms.
Indeed, crashes sometimes also occur at my side when chosing certain formulas. Also the JIT-formulas sometimes can cause strange behaviour.
This is not really satisfying, but difficult to solve, and probably not completely avoidable at all, without a rewrite of essential parts of the program.

Best regards,
Andreas
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: