Logo by fractalwizz - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Follow us on Twitter

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 23, 2024, 12:34:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Fisheye / fulldome possible?  (Read 2297 times)
kikkomayne
Forums Newbie

« on: March 20, 2015, 08:26:50 AM »

Hi everybody!

I have been playing around with Mandelbulb 3D for a few weeks and I love it. I have been googling for a week to try to find an answer but to no avail. I have been commissioned to do a planetarium show and I have been trying to achieve the fisheye effect with the various lenses included (for example common lens with a 180 FOV, but since the lens is square, the results are like in the simple example I posted).

I am aware that Mandelbulber has the feature, but I just feel more comfortable with this software and it has been giving me the results I have been searching for. I was wondering is there something I am missing or do I just have to bit the bullet and work with Mandelbulber?

Thank you!

Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 10:48:11 AM »

Hello and welcome to the forums   afro

Do you mean the FOVy property in the Camera tab?

You can also change the Camera type if that helps.

I think that's what you need, but can't take it any further as I never tried to use it for anything so am unsure of the details.  I'd suggest that as a starting point for experimenting though.

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
Madman
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 09:24:52 PM »

Use the "pano" setting in the navigator. You'll have to convert to a dome projection, but you'll need some other program for that. hth

All I want is a warm bed, a kind word and unlimited power (Ashleigh Brilliant)
axewater
Alien

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 11:08:08 PM »

I think madman is on the right track .. I've been doing 360 panorama renders, for us in virtual reality headsets. Works great . I guess for dome projection you dont have the full 360 available, probably more like 180, so you'll need another tool to modify / convert ... I found this, I'm not sure if it helps :

http://www.lochnessproductions.com/software/imgwarper/iww.html
kikkomayne
Forums Newbie

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 01:21:20 PM »

OK, thanks for the replies! Yes I think I'll need to look into a solution similar to what axewater and Madman suggested. Yes the FOV for the fulldome is 180 degrees. I am doing the majority of the animation with C4D and Octane Render which has a decent fisheye lens, but I really want to implement some 3D fractals as well.

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 01:27:26 PM by kikkomayne » Logged
taurus
Fractal Supremo

profile.php?id=1339106810 @taurus_arts_66
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 03:30:13 PM »

Use the "pano" setting in the navigator. You'll have to convert to a dome projection, but you'll need some other program for that. hth

You can consider using Mandelbulber for that quest. you have all the features you need for that, because Buddhi (the developer) once had a simillar mission and he built in everything you need including a full dome projection for background textures.

when life offers you a lemon, get yourself some salt and tequila!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: