Logo by mauxuam - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Support us via Flattr FLATTR Link

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 29, 2024, 02:10:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Controlling speed and smoothness in animation  (Read 1830 times)
HeadyImages
Forums Newbie

« on: March 13, 2015, 10:23:15 PM »

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forum and apologize in advance if this is in the wrong category or has been asked 100xs before.

I've been playing around with this MB3D software for a few weeks and finally spent a few hours today trying to get the feel for creating animation. My question is if anyone can give me any tips on how to control the speed of the camera while maintaining a smoothness? Does rendering more subframes between keyframes make it slower?

The first video i created had the speed i desired but was very choppy. The second video I made was smoother but extremely slow camera movement. I suspect I may have over compensated on the latter. The first video I spaced out the keyframes a great deal and saved at random points, the second video I spaced out the keyframes to about 5-7 clicks and had the subframes set to 120.

Thank you in advance!
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 10:43:09 PM »

yes, the subframes control the smoothness, the more frames the smoother it becomes, you need to take care for yourself to adjust it accordingly to the distance travelled, for fractals you have to additional take the zooming factor into account, since you can zoom very much this has to be smooth as well and you can not map directly the x/y/z distance travelled to time you have to include the zoom factor as well, if you want to make an overal smooth long animation with many keyframes this is something you need to take care for

you might need to dig a bit into movement perception of humans, since you might know 25 frames is the lowest frame rate per second that achieves a "smooth" movement, but generally for digital art a higher framerate is desirable, so 50 frames are more or less super smooth and 100 frames per second (if hardware allows it ) is i think at the limit you can visually distinguish

so, rule of thumb is, 25 frames make a second, this is something you have to enter in your video encoding software, you can play any sequence of frames at any framerate you like, but the more frames you have the smoother it is ... as example, 25 frames played over 1 minute is just a slide show wink 10 frames played in 1 second is a jaggy but perceivable motion, 25 frames played for the duration exactly one second is the default cine/movie setting you see in television

ah yes, and hello and welcome! wink
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 10:49:53 PM by cKleinhuis » Logged

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
HeadyImages
Forums Newbie

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 12:57:43 PM »

Thank you for the info and the welcome  wink
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: