Logo by Jimpan1973 - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Check out the originating "3d Mandelbulb" thread here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 28, 2024, 07:52:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: How does one commission an artist?  (Read 1624 times)
mackenzieh
Forums Freshman

« on: March 04, 2015, 06:59:04 PM »

How does one commission an artist? What are the rules and regulations that go into it? Examples would be nice as to how this works.

Thanks,
Mackenzie
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 07:16:54 PM »

good question, this board is a relict from the original founder, if we find a use for it we keep it, otherwise we remove this board

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
mackenzieh
Forums Freshman

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 10:38:47 PM »

good question, this board is a relict from the original founder, if we find a use for it we keep it, otherwise we remove this board

So, there is no easy answer I assume.
youhn
Fractal Molossus

Shapes only exists in our heads.

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 10:43:02 PM »

Artists ain't easy/common people, mostly non-conforming in nature. I would guess every artist has it's own approach to commissions. Better hunt for artists you like and contact them directly. Or maybe just post your request and be specific enough on your wishes and expectations.
lkmitch
Fractal Lover

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 04:35:11 PM »

As was said, it's probably best to find an artist whose work you like and then approach him or her about a commission.  Be prepared with some idea of what you want, and how the artist's work reflects that (e.g., a particular image or style).  It is common for the client to put down a deposit (~ half of the total price) before the work is done.  Depending on the nature of the work, it may be permissible for the client to request intermediate reviews and a few minor tweaks (major changes often require new contracts).  The client should also be prepared to pay a rejection fee--if everything goes according to spec and the client still hates the work, then the artist receives something for their effort.
mackenzieh
Forums Freshman

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 07:01:58 PM »

I still think there should be rules and examples for this section of the board so artists know what they are getting into when they ask for commissions. That is why I asked the question.
chronologicaldot
Forums Freshman

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 08:12:35 AM »

I still think there should be rules and examples for this section of the board so artists know what they are getting into when they ask for commissions. That is why I asked the question.
Ikmitch had some good suggestions, but if you want a template, try something like:

Thread Header: WANTED: MD3D artist for book cover
Thread Contents:

Description of desired art: 1000x2500px image of MD3D fractal. Lots of scene lighting (looks like daytime), perhaps some fog. Creativity desired. (or optionally, you could specify the kind you want, such as "Box-style" or "Amazing Surf")
Pay rate: $xxxx
Payment method: Paypal (or DA or whatever)
Deadline: 2015/xx/xx (or you could call this "Desired Completion Date")
Requirements:
- Credible website portfolio link. (No redirects to wallpaper sites) (Perhaps a reference)
- Intimate knowledge of the software. (Or: How to get what you want out of it, such as advanced fog effects, etc. This all depends on your needs.)
Terms:
- All rights to the image are transferred to the commissioner. (or: Rights are split)
- Half-pay is given up-front, and not returned even if commission is cancelled.
flexiverse
Safarist

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 04:25:09 PM »

I'm guessing you are looking for a fractal image.
The simple answer is ask artists.  Naturally find artists on artist websites like deviant art.
Simple really.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: