Logo by stereoman - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit us on facebook

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 20, 2024, 05:54:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: More VR fractals, with Chillheimers score  (Read 1984 times)
brasnacte
Conqueror

« on: February 17, 2015, 09:22:38 PM »

<a href="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=119763115&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=01AAEA" target="_blank">http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=119763115&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=01AAEA</a>

pre-rendered, for the oculus.
wearvr.com/#game_id=game_776;
schizo
Iterator

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 08:44:04 PM »

Hi Julius,
well I don't have a VR device yet but that looks interesting. What do I need to create such animations for VR?
1. camera=360 Panorama
2. aspect 2:1
3. high resolution (is there a minimum?)
4. ambient shadow = SSAO24/SSAO24r/DEAO (any advice on that?)
5. pack everything into a normal video
Thats it?

And how about stereo rendering. Can you view a youtube stereo video at VR devices the way it is (a side-by-side youtube upload) or needs the video some additional modification?

Actually rendering my first 360 panorama images...  Azn

all the best
schizo

brasnacte
Conqueror

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 12:40:28 PM »

Hi Julius,
well I don't have a VR device yet but that looks interesting. What do I need to create such animations for VR?
1. camera=360 Panorama
2. aspect 2:1
3. high resolution (is there a minimum?)
4. ambient shadow = SSAO24/SSAO24r/DEAO (any advice on that?)
5. pack everything into a normal video
Thats it?
And how about stereo rendering. Can you view a youtube stereo video at VR devices the way it is (a side-by-side youtube upload) or needs the video some additional modification?

Hey schizo,
Indeed, you're not far off. Set the cam to 360 pano indeed.
aspect 2:1 is correct
i render at 4k (4096x2048) and use anti-aliasing. this is enough for GearVR or Oculus headsets. For now. They will quickly become higher res, and you would need to scale accordingly. I'm currently rendering 8K for a dome projection project. (planetarium-style)
there is obviously no mininimum, but less then 3k will be very very blurry.
DEAO. It doesn't use any tricks, so the seam will be perfect. You should probably use this one anyway- it really has much less artifacts. (rendertime is obviously higher though)
and indeed pack into normal video. I use some post processing effects, but very minimum. (coloring etc)

You can't do stereo and 360 at the same time. The position of the eyes are dependent on the rotation of the head, so this needs much more complex rendering algorithms that you just can't do in M3d.

good luck! let us know when you have something!
schizo
Iterator

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 07:24:32 PM »

Thanx for the infos Julius.

Yep you cant do stereo and 360 prerendered. My brother had the same enthusiastic idea and I also had to told him that this is not possible because of the rotation of the two viewpoints  undecided
What I wanted to know is: Can you see normal youtube stereo videos with VR devices as stereo film (direct support)? Of course without any reaction to movement of head.

About 360 film resolution...
Well 3K sounds for me like: "Wait for your next computer"
Because I don't have access to 8 machines ;-)

Meanwhile I experiment with 360 panorama fractal images. Check out my first results here (needs Flash):
http://sky.easypano.com/user/153044/

marius
Fractal Lover

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 12:43:00 AM »

Yep you cant do stereo and 360 prerendered.

I built a set of recent boxplorer2 windows binaries that do DK2 in "realtime" 3d:
https://drive.google.com/#folders/0Bx141fJ34StsRzZMeFBBNmdZWlk (code.google.com won't allow new downloads..)

But that requires serious GPU teraflops to be palatable for the more complex shaders. Think titan / 7970+.
And leveraging multi-gpu is a pain with current opengl; holding out for vulkan at this point.

fwiw, that build also understands --spherical, --cubes or --dome to render flights as series of 360ish views. In mono  undecided
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 01:16:27 AM »

with dk2 you mean oculus devkit2 ?
i experienced your boxplorer with devkit1 and i can confirm it is awesome wink too bad i have no rift at my disposal currently

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
marius
Fractal Lover

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 12:52:24 AM »

with dk2 you mean oculus devkit2 ?
i experienced your boxplorer with devkit1 and i can confirm it is awesome wink too bad i have no rift at my disposal currently

Yeah, Oculus devkit2.

Still sdl/opengl, so extended mode, etc. And tracking head orientation only, not the additional position info that DK2 tries to offer.
Work in (slow) progress, but made a cut recently for someone that is doing a series of movie clips to be projected on a dome.
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 12:57:52 AM »

Yeah, Oculus devkit2.

Still sdl/opengl, so extended mode, etc. And tracking head orientation only, not the additional position info that DK2 tries to offer.
Work in (slow) progress, but made a cut recently for someone that is doing a series of movie clips to be projected on a dome.

lol, what is going on? i am now hearing from the third dude preparing dome projections, that should be listed somehow ... fractal events around the globe, including the enormous amount of exhibitions various people are holding ... taurus, lmarkoya....

i am thinking about reactivating the calendar feature of our forums ... hmm  hrmm  hrmm  hrmm

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
schizo
Iterator

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2015, 09:34:48 PM »

Yeah. YouTube has now a 360° mode  shocked That means you can control your view during the video using Chrome Browser or the Android Youtube App.
See the following blog for details, link to example videos and how to prepare videos for 360° mode (some technical stuff):
http://youtubecreator.blogspot.de/2015/03/a-new-way-to-see-and-share-your-world.html

Some 360° panorama fractal videos would be very nice.

@Julius: maybe you can upload yours at youtube.

schizo
Iterator

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2015, 09:37:45 PM »

i am thinking about reactivating the calendar feature of our forums ... hmm  hrmm  hrmm  hrmm

yes please  joy

brasnacte
Conqueror

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2015, 09:36:41 AM »

@Julius: maybe you can upload yours at youtube.

Well, I've actually been uploading some 360 videos on other platforms, which are similar. One is called Littlstar,

and the other one is still beta but should be out soon: called Vrideo.com

These are really designed for VR. I'm kind of avoiding youtube as much as I can. (video quality is really a lot worse then Vimeo etc)
Todarac
Forums Newbie

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2015, 07:22:43 PM »

Julius! I absolutely love this render, I found it through the share.oculus.com website. I use it with dev kit 2 and have shown it to many of my friends, they all love it  grin
Videos like these (and the previous one, Foreign Nature), are what inspired me to start making fractal animations, and I plan to make them with the Rift soon as well!

As much as I love this fly through, I have had some issues with it, though. It think it is really amazing that you have a video that is 1) 360 degrees, 2) 4k resolution, and 3) almost 7 minutes long, that must have taken ages to render! But at the same time, whenever I run these with the Rift (MaxVR is my preferred program), the videos are quite laggy, jumpy, and essentially unwatchable. What I have to do is actually downscale the videos to 1080p, which makes it lose the music as well... This solution looks great in the Rift and runs butter smooth, but it feels like a huge disgrace to the video. All of this time that went into it is wasted. I thought it might have been the video player I used, but I tried it on two other oculus video players and got the same jittery-ness. It might be my computer, but I have a decent high-end gaming rig, that can run most modern games at 60fps. Do you have the same problem? Do you have a possible solution? I would love to view these videos in the Rift in their full glory  grin

Anyways, keep up the amazing work, I plan on joining you on making VR fractal flythroughs soon!

Cheers

Edit: Oh, and if I might add, VR fractal fly throughs are absolutely amazing when the fractals are morphing around you. I noticed you did this a bit at the end of Foreign Nature, but I cant get enough of it cheesy I would love to see more of this with videos of your quality in the future
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 07:26:18 PM by Todarac » Logged
brasnacte
Conqueror

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2015, 07:53:32 PM »

Thanks, Todarac,

great to hear you like it. Rendertimes were indeed high smiley

In fact, on my pc it really doesnt stutter at all, but it's a pretty good rig. I've heard this complaint before though, not sure what to do about it ATM. Hopefully in the future these things will get standardized.

Julius
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: