Logo by Fiery - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Check out the originating "3d Mandelbulb" thread here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 18, 2024, 09:38:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Triplex algebra  (Read 58655 times)
kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #75 on: December 16, 2009, 08:34:26 PM »

wait...
Unfortunately, for most triplex numbers, this log formula and the exp formulas above don't appear to be inverses of one another.
That could be a problem...

Or was that an error?
David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #76 on: December 16, 2009, 08:41:40 PM »

wait...
Unfortunately, for most triplex numbers, this log formula and the exp formulas above don't appear to be inverses of one another.

Or was that an error?

I think it's probably correct, given that for fully triplex numbers (z*z)*z != z^3 smiley

The meaning and purpose of life is to give life purpose and meaning.

http://www.fractalgallery.co.uk/
"Makin' Magic Music" on Jango
BradC
Safarist

« Reply #77 on: December 16, 2009, 08:52:21 PM »

Or was that an error?

I think that's just the way it comes out. If you use power series to define exp and ln for triplex numbers, then the resulting functions don't turn out to be inverses of each other. For example, e^{\ln (0.1,0.2,0.3)}=(0.224322,0.00416262,0.679246) and \ln \left(e^{(0.1,0.2,0.3)}\right)=(0.124986,0.217693,0.293778). I'm not sure what to think about this. It would be nice if they were inverses, but I don't know how important it is that they're not. Or it's possible that I made a mistake somewhere. I'm interested to see what bugman comes up with if he looks at it some more.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 08:55:27 PM by BradC » Logged
kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #78 on: December 16, 2009, 09:05:48 PM »

hmmm...

could you do the plane-analogy you did for e^z with ln(z), ln(e^z) and e^(ln(z)) ? smiley

this could visually express the error smiley
bugman
Conqueror

« Reply #79 on: December 16, 2009, 09:59:28 PM »

I expect the log of the triplex to have an infinite number of valid solutions because that is true of the complex case:

"every nonzero complex number z has infinitely many logarithms"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complex_logarithm

"If z = re^iθ with r > 0 (polar form), then w = ln r + iθ is one logarithm of z; adding integer multiples of 2πi gives all the others"
kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #80 on: December 16, 2009, 10:12:44 PM »

yeah, an infinite number of solutions but with a fixed distance.
And there is one solution considered as main solution...
BradC
Safarist

« Reply #81 on: December 16, 2009, 10:59:44 PM »

I expect the log of the triplex to have an infinite number of valid solutions because that is true of the complex case:

That's true, but exp(ln(z)) in particular would ideally still reduce to the identity function because in the complex case, all the various possible branches of ln all get mapped to the same point by exp, since exp is periodic with period 2 pi i.

I wonder if it would be possible, rather than defining ln as a series, to define it by solving (a,b,c)=exp(x,y,z) for x, y, and z. It looks hard, and Mathematica (32-bit) ran out of memory.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 07:39:23 AM by BradC, Reason: fix grammar » Logged
BradC
Safarist

« Reply #82 on: December 17, 2009, 08:02:23 AM »

The "z <- exp(z) + c" fractal looks kinda like stretched foam outside of the xy-plane. Sceptical My ray tracer couldn't deal with this one so I had to resort to animating 2D slices. The slices are parallel to the xy-plane:

I let z animate through the interval [0, 2 pi). Two frames stand out, z=0 and z=pi. The z=0 plane is just the complex exp fractal. The z=pi plane is unique because of the sin(z) factor in the 3rd component of the exp formula: with z=pi, this just maps everything into the xy-plane.
Snakehand
« Reply #83 on: December 17, 2009, 12:01:11 PM »

A picture of the triplex exponential map:

I think this figure might explain how the isopotential surface of the power 8 bulb transforms from genus=0 (no holes) at 3 iteration, to being full of holes (genus > 0) at 4 iterations. The exact mechanism is still unclear, but I am somewhat less puzzled by this transformation now that I have seen this figure.

kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #84 on: December 17, 2009, 01:54:14 PM »

BradC could you do a triplex log picture as you did a triplex exponential one?
(and also a gif animation of the two other planes smiley)

Could be interesting smiley
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 11:41:01 AM by kram1032 » Logged
vancefab
« Reply #85 on: December 23, 2009, 05:26:00 PM »

I am confused why the standard quaternions confined to the three dimensional sphere don't work just fine for what you are doing.  They are defined by:

a+b*i+c*j+d*k

with i*j=k, j*k=i, k*i=j, and reversing the products negates the results

and i*i=j*j=k*k=-1

and b^2 + c^2 +d^2 = 1.

the idea is that the vector (b,c,d) is the axis of the rotation and a is the cosine of the angle.  If you raise a single one to a power, you get the Chebyshev polynomials in the first term.  If you multiply them together, after normalization, it produces the new axis and the new angle.
BradC
Safarist

« Reply #86 on: December 23, 2009, 09:53:32 PM »

How do you mean exactly? If you mean that the rotations could be expressed as quaternions instead of rotation matrices Ry and Rz to derive this stuff, then I think you're right. I think Paolo Bonzini did something along these lines here http://www.fractalforums.com/theory/the-real-math-of-the-mandelbulb/
BradC
Safarist

« Reply #87 on: December 23, 2009, 10:03:46 PM »

BradC could you do a triplex log picture as you did a triplex exponential one?
(and also a gif animation of the two other planes smiley)

The log formula posted above has some discontinuities in it that are making it hard to plot. They look like they're probably branch cuts. The exp formula had a discontinuity along the z-axis, but the log is more complicated...
kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #88 on: December 24, 2009, 11:44:27 AM »

so it basically looks like a mess?

And would a ln(exp(x,y,z)) or an exp(ln(x,y,z)) work? - in theory they should give x,y,z but you said they kinda don't... would be interesting to see the exact difference...
fractalrebel
Fractal Lover

« Reply #89 on: December 27, 2009, 08:34:49 PM »

Hi everyone,

In my Ultrafractal 5 library I have a fairly complete set of quaternion and hypercomplex functions. I am starting a project to build functions for triplex algebra. Simple power, multiplication and division functions are already in the library, as these are the ones I use to generate my UF 5 raytraced images. I am adding BradC's expoential and log functions, along with a triplex power function. There will actually be two triplex power functions since multiplication doesn't commute. Does anyone have thoughts of transcendental functions that use triplex variables?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 08:36:47 PM by fractalrebel » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: