Logo by reallybigname - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Check out the originating "3d Mandelbulb" thread here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 20, 2024, 05:24:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Fractals in VFX  (Read 2129 times)
brasnacte
Conqueror

« on: January 21, 2015, 09:34:48 AM »

For those interested in exploring the possibility of using Mandelbulb3D in a VFX environment, here's a talk I did on the subject.

<a href="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=117291999&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=01AAEA" target="_blank">http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=117291999&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=01AAEA</a>
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 10:51:45 AM »

wonderful talk, thank you for that

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 11:10:42 AM »

in fact there is something going on, one of the programmers of bryce is working on a gpu based shader, mandelbulber might be open source and stable enough to include some special features like camera import/export

beside of that, the way to go for the "professional" render software is to include a full implicit surface definition system in their guis, most of the software already uses implicit surfaces to define e.g. spheres, BUT most of the software relies on a pure triangulated scene. so a combination of implicit(fractals)/explicit(triangles) surfaces is the way to go ...

this is certainly coming, in my opinion the implicit surfaces will get far more weighting when virtual reality like occulus is kicking in more and more, because for the virtual realities it is desirable to get objects that can be viewed from as close as possible without getting blurry

---

mclarekin
Fractal Senior

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 12:53:51 PM »

Very interesting and informative. The possibilities are immense. Thank you very much for this talk smiley smiley smiley
bib
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

At the borders...

100008697663777 @bib993
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 01:51:34 PM »

Excellent video!

Between order and disorder reigns a delicious moment. (Paul Valéry)
brasnacte
Conqueror

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 01:55:01 PM »

in fact there is something going on, one of the programmers of bryce is working on a gpu based shader, mandelbulber might be open source and stable enough to include some special features like camera import/export

beside of that, the way to go for the "professional" render software is to include a full implicit surface definition system in their guis, most of the software already uses implicit surfaces to define e.g. spheres, BUT most of the software relies on a pure triangulated scene. so a combination of implicit(fractals)/explicit(triangles) surfaces is the way to go ...

this is certainly coming, in my opinion the implicit surfaces will get far more weighting when virtual reality like occulus is kicking in more and more, because for the virtual realities it is desirable to get objects that can be viewed from as close as possible without getting blurry

Thanks a lot for the information, this may be helpful.

I am curious to see what mandelbulber will come up with. For me it's just a bummer that I'm going to have to learn a whole new interface while I'm so comfortable with M3d...
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 02:31:17 PM »

mb3d has certainly its role and versality, especially when it comes to formulas and animation

since mandelbulber is open source and actively developed with a gpu formula editor it might overtake at some point the mb3d world

---

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 08:37:47 PM »

@brasnacte that photo to 3d object method could be worth an own tutorial wink as far as i know few fractalists use this method, i think it is a rather costly method in terms of no free software available

---

asimes
Fractal Lover

asimes
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 02:21:44 AM »

First, very nice video. I was wondering what the fractal around 14:15 is?
bib
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

At the borders...

100008697663777 @bib993
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 09:54:01 AM »

@brasnacte that photo to 3d object method could be worth an own tutorial wink as far as i know few fractalists use this method, i think it is a rather costly method in terms of no free software available

I confirm I tried the other free software Julius mentions (123 catch) but the result was really messy and low res.

Between order and disorder reigns a delicious moment. (Paul Valéry)
brasnacte
Conqueror

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2015, 10:04:21 AM »

I confirm I tried the other free software Julius mentions (123 catch) but the result was really messy and low res.
Indeed 123d catch isn't as good but it's free. Maybe it works when inputting lots of views, like in the tutorial. Photoscan is not free.

First, very nice video. I was wondering what the fractal around 14:15 is?

It's a Menger4. I used it to demonstrate a 4D rotation, (which it does after the zoomout)
but I used this material just to fill in some holes in the talk- it doesn't really hold any relation with the subject.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: