Logo by bib - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Follow us on Twitter

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 28, 2024, 09:38:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Render size vrs. amount of memory  (Read 5544 times)
haltenny
Safarist

« on: December 14, 2014, 06:48:25 PM »

Just curious about this. I have 12 gigs of memory on a windows 7 64 bit machine. The largest render (with Mandelbulb 3D) I can seem to get with good quality settings, etc. is 'around' 11,000 X 11,000 pixels give or take a bit. Any larger and I get the out of memory message. My question is whether anyone has more memory, and how much larger they can render because of it. I have had several occasions now where I need to render quite a bit larger so I can anti-alias and such.

I've also used the big render utility, but can't seem to get anywhere near as nice looking shadows and quality...
lenord
Fractal Bachius

No Matter where you go there you are

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 02:59:31 AM »

MB3D is a 32 bit app, the memory access limit on any 32 bit app is 4 Gig, in actuality less than that about 3.5 Gig because of headroom used by the OS and running BG resources so anything over 4 Gig of RAM is not accessible by the program anyway. If you want a very large Render at HQ render settings you have to use the Big Render Option and Render in Blocks to be assembled after all Blocks are rendered. BiG renders have a lot of drawbacks, most post process renders Shadows, Reflects, DoF are handled differently so it's an experiment getting a Huge Render right. As far as Antialiasing I never do it with MB3D, I always save 1:1 and use another Editor for AA because most have a capability of choosing different Algorithms for the process and are more flexible and efficient at the job
haltenny
Safarist

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 11:25:41 AM »

MB3D is a 32 bit app, the memory access limit on any 32 bit app is 4 Gig, in actuality less than that about 3.5 Gig because of headroom used by the OS and running BG resources so anything over 4 Gig of RAM is not accessible by the program anyway. If you want a very large Render at HQ render settings you have to use the Big Render Option and Render in Blocks to be assembled after all Blocks are rendered. BiG renders have a lot of drawbacks, most post process renders Shadows, Reflects, DoF are handled differently so it's an experiment getting a Huge Render right. As far as Antialiasing I never do it with MB3D, I always save 1:1 and use another Editor for AA because most have a capability of choosing different Algorithms for the process and are more flexible and efficient at the job

Ahh... that's right, I totally forgot about that. I had remembered getting a render size increase a good while back. I thought it was when I added RAM and went from 2 to 4 gigs. But it was probably when I went from 32 bit to 64 bit windows.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: