Logo by Trifox - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit the official fractalforums.com Youtube Channel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 26, 2024, 12:25:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Geometric Fractals Help  (Read 938 times)
lancelot
Forums Newbie

« on: December 14, 2014, 01:37:49 AM »

Hello, i'm studying software engeneering and in order the teacher to let to exams i need to this home work cheesy, so please help me i can't do it.
Here is some photos of the work i need to do. We are using IFS Builder 3D

You help will be really appreciated
youhn
Fractal Molossus

Shapes only exists in our heads.

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 02:52:01 AM »

We are not going to do your homework. Pointers is all you can expect, but most probably your teachers already gave the most practical pointers/hint/sources.

If you need more hints, please use the search function (on this forum) on keywords you mention.
lancelot
Forums Newbie

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 09:40:04 AM »

Here is the thing this is like a 20 hours course and i won't be able to learn fractals for this time nor i will need them in my specialty.It's just something my university wants to try out, but i don't like it very much and i don't think that this this taskas would be very hard for you guys after the thinks i saw you do with fractals i really think you could do this for 5 min please be helpful to me.
youhn
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 02:45:41 PM »

Ok, then read fast (in no particulary order):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iterated_function_system
http://fractals.nsu.ru/method_en.htm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fractal
http://math.rice.edu/~lanius/frac/
http://blog.hvidtfeldts.net/index.php/2011/06/distance-estimated-3d-fractals-part-i/

And then do focused searched on keywords on this forum.
youhn
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2014, 04:21:11 PM »

The IFS Builder 3D software is actually nice and easy to use. Works for both Windows and Linux, although the Linux version is command line only. This is fine by me, as you have to edit text files to change the fractal. The package has LOTS of examples included. For the linux version these are to be found in the file "ifsb.examples", which is a normal text file. For the windows version you can reach all examples easier through the menu. Most important specific source of information:

http://fractals.nsu.ru/builder3d-lang_en.htm
lancelot
Forums Newbie

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 11:10:19 PM »

What is the big deal to help me ?   sad
kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 12:50:50 AM »

If you don't recognize youhn's efforts thus far as help then, I'm afraid, you can't be helped.
What are you expecting?
You should be thinking about your homework yourself, regardless of how necessary you deem it to be to your future success.
Ultimately, a solution you just copy without thinking it through won't help you anyway.
Ask specific, clear questions - problems you stumble over while thinking these things through. Then we may or may not be able to help more effectively.
Do not ask for a full-fledged solution. That's up to you to discover.
lancelot
Forums Newbie

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 04:55:19 AM »

The thing is i don't like fractals, i won't need them and they won't  help me become better at programming. Most likely i won't do this anyway  even tought i need it. It's not like this is a realy big deal about my master degree but i will have poor grade on this course, so why can't you guys help with this simple task and i will be very gratefull to you and you shall be happy you helped other person.
0Encrypted0
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2014, 05:18:47 AM »

The thing is i don't like fractals, i won't need them and they won't  help me become better at programming. Most likely i won't do this anyway  even tought i need it. It's not like this is a realy big deal about my master degree but i will have poor grade on this course, so why can't you guys help with this simple task and i will be very gratefull to you and you shall be happy you helped other person.

This is more about math and learning about recursion.
Both are important in programming.
asimes
Fractal Lover

asimes
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2014, 04:50:15 PM »

The thing is i don't like fractals, i won't need them and they won't  help me become better at programming

Wow, you certainly did not pick the correct forum to post that to. Many people have become distinguished programmers on the www though this forum working almost exclusively with fractals and visualization techniques related to them

0Encrypted0 is right as well, this is a near perfect example of recursive programming. You can see if you programmed it correctly instantly, the fractal will look wrong if the code is wrong
lancelot
Forums Newbie

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2014, 05:03:14 PM »

How exactly a fractal  can show if for example my C++ code is wrong , or do you mean if i code a fractal wrong it will show immidiatly that it's wrong ? I make recursion algoritms  I need, even without knowing fractals
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 05:05:56 PM by lancelot » Logged
kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2014, 05:20:35 PM »

What asimes is saying is that, if you do it right, the fractal will look right, if you do it wrong, the fractal will look wrong. Fractals are a very visual and thus intuitive way to learn about recursion. It is well worth your time. If you can't do a simple recursive algorithm, and that, if I got that right, for a Masters degree, you are probably not studying the right subject.
lancelot
Forums Newbie

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2014, 05:41:25 PM »

Yes the thing is i do know how to make recursive algoritms and this fractal course is for the first time in my specialty and they want to test if it is good and helpful course but i don't like it
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2014, 06:10:29 PM »

Learning to do things you have no interest in, and even dislike, is among the best preparation for real world programming work there is!

Surely you don't think that once you become a programmer that you will only get jobs you like, coding only things you enjoy?

Try it.

Make an effort and let us know where you get stuck (include the steps you took up to that point), and then get a few hints to move to the next step.

If we do it for you - you will learn nothing.

Plus, since we encourage Educators and Students to use this forum, it would tarnish our reputation to help you cheat (not figuring out anything and being handed answers is cheating in most people's view).  We want to be known for helping people, but not for helping people cheat   police

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: