Logo by Madman - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit us on facebook

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 19, 2024, 08:24:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: True 3D mandelbrot fractal (search for the holy grail continues)  (Read 58414 times)
David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2009, 03:37:32 PM »

It should be remembered that Pythagoras (although used for distance calculations) actually relates areas rather than distances smiley

The meaning and purpose of life is to give life purpose and meaning.

http://www.fractalgallery.co.uk/
"Makin' Magic Music" on Jango
jehovajah
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

May a trochoid in the void bring you peace

« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2009, 12:22:17 PM »

I think the problem lies in the fact that i is a unary operator defined on the plane, and j and k have followed suit. To define a 3d operator is perhaps as straight forward as

i on a = ia and iia = -a and iiia =-ia and iiiia =a

i on (a,b)= (-b,a) ii(a,b) = (-a,-b) iii(a,b) = (b,-a)  iiii(a,b) = (a,b)

i on (a,b,c) = (-c,a,b,)  ii(a,b,c) = (-b,-c,a)  iii(a,b,c) = (-a,-b,-c,)  iiii(a,b,c) = (c,-a,-b,) iiiii(a,b,c) = (b,c,-a) iiiiii(a,b,c) = (a,b,c,)

We then use z in the same notation for triplex but we need a triplex transform for z2

In R^2 we use a matrix transform  0  -1 and a definition (a,b)(c,d) = (ac - bd, bc +ad)
                                                1   0

can we generalise this to punch out the above definitions for i on the triplex?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 04:56:04 AM by jehovajah » Logged

May a trochoid of ¥h¶h iteratively entrain your Logos Response transforming into iridescent fractals of orgasmic delight and joy, with kindness, peace and gratitude at all scales within your experience. I beg of you to enrich others as you have been enriched, in vorticose pulsations of extravagance!
kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2009, 05:17:04 PM »

@David Makin
that then would mean, that the plane-version would act on cubes....

that way, there indeed would be a (x^3+y^3+z^3)^(1/3)....
David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2009, 05:29:58 PM »

@David Makin
that then would mean, that the plane-version would act on cubes....

that way, there indeed would be a <Quoted Image Removed>....

I was thinking of maybe something in terms of x^2*y, y^2*z and z^2*x and/or x*y^2, y*z^2, z*x^2 smiley
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 05:31:48 PM by David Makin » Logged

kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2009, 06:11:47 PM »

I guess, trying that geometrically first would be simpler than directly doing the math...
David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2009, 09:21:04 PM »

I guess, trying that geometrically first would be simpler than directly doing the math...

If I remember correctly Pythagoras' formula was based on a geometric proof.

kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2009, 10:24:08 PM »

Yup, it was.

That's why I guess, the 3D variant might need the same first, if it's valid at all...

though, by now there are thousands of proofs both geometrical and mathematical, afaik smiley
jehovajah
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2009, 02:45:28 PM »

ForR^3 I designed a transform based on the R^2 transform in the following way:

(a,b,c) vx (d,e,f)  

(ad - be - cf, ae + bd, af +cd, bf + ce) using R^4 as a manipulation /construction space.

This i reduce to

(A,B,C,D) =(ad - be - cf, ae + bd, af +cd, bf + ce)

Using pairs from the construction bracket in the R^2 transform i obtain 6 building blocks

1 (AA - BB, 2AB)

2 (AA - CC, 2AC)

3 (-CC - BB, 2BC)

4(AA + DD, 2AD)

5 (DD - BB, 2BD)

6 (DD - CC, 2CD)

THE unary OPERATORS i and j are used to inform the manipulations so that i2 = j2 = -1 and (ij)2 =+1.

Now my intention was to rotate the planes xy, xz, yz by this construction and i assumed that was what was happening until i rechecked the construction principles. The yz plane is not the same as the other two planes with the unary operators i and j operating on the axes. Under the R^2 transform the yz plane is sheared to the xij plane whatever that is. It may be a vortex surface.

so the first constructed transform is mistaken in two counts. The manipulations were faulty and i will show the correct manipulations; but the design was mistaken as it was not tranforming to a map of geometrical space.

The expansions are as follows for the right handed form

AA = (ad)2 + (be)2 + (cf)2 - 2abde - 2acdf + 2bcef

BB = (ae)2 + 2abde + (bd)2

CC = (af)2 + 2acdf + (cd)2

2AB = 2(a)2de + 2ab(d)2 - 2ab(e)2 - 2(b)2de - 2acef - 2bcdf

2AC = 2(a)2df + 2ac(d)2 - 2ac(f)2 - 2(c)2df - 2abef - 2bcde

2BC = 2(a)2ef + 2bc(d)2 + 2abdf + 2acde

Now the first posted construction was based on combining blocks 1,2,3

supposedly giving

1\over 2 *{AA - BB + AA - CC, 2AB + BB - CC,  2AC + 2BC}

=> {AA - BB/2 - CC/2, AB + BB/2 - CC/2, AC + BC }.                                                    

[ in fact it should be {AA - BB/2 - CC/2, AB - BB/2 - CC/2, AC + BC } due to an error in the original formulation of block 3]

So clearly (when i expand it) my original manipulations were wrongly copied from page to page to screen.

But now i realise i have not combined like with like and so have to construct the following transform from blocks 1and 2 which i fear will be even less interesting than my mistaken one

{AA -BB/2 - CC/2. AB, AC}
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 04:28:38 AM by jehovajah » Logged

May a trochoid of ¥h¶h iteratively entrain your Logos Response transforming into iridescent fractals of orgasmic delight and joy, with kindness, peace and gratitude at all scales within your experience. I beg of you to enrich others as you have been enriched, in vorticose pulsations of extravagance!
jehovajah
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2009, 03:13:54 PM »

So the corrected vx is as follows

(a, b, c) vx (d, e, f)  = ((ad)2 + (be)2 + (cf)2 - 2abde - 2acdf + 2bcef -((ae)2 + 2abde + (bd)2)/2 - ((af)2 + 2acdf + (cd)2)/2,
                                       (a)2de + ab(d)2 - ab(e)2 - (b)2de - acef - bcdf + ((ae)2 + 2abde + (bd)2)/2 - ((af)2 + 2acdf + (cd)2)/2,

(a)2df + ac(d)2 - ac(f)2 - (c)2df - abef - bcde + (a)2ef + bc(d)2 + abdf + acde)

This gives  
   (x, y, z)2 = (x, y, z) vx (x, y, z) = (x4 +  y4 + z4 - 4x2y2 - 4x2z2 + 2y2z2,

(2x3y - 2xy3 - 2xyz2 + 2x2y2 - 2x2z2,

(2x3z -  2xz3 - 2xy2z + 4x2yz   )

I would like to see if that makes alot of difference to the rendering please David if you have the time.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 04:30:50 AM by jehovajah » Logged

jehovajah
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2009, 05:39:35 AM »

The left handed formulation requires the following

DD = (bf)2 + 2bcef + (ce)2

2AD =  2abdf + 2acde - 2bc(e)2 - 2bc(f)2 - 2(b)2ef   - 2(c)2ef

2BD =2ac(e)2 + 2(b)2df + 2abef + 2bcde

2CD = 2ab(f)2 + 2(c)2de + 2bcdf + 2acef

Now from the 6 blocks i can construct 3 linked formulations abbreviated as followa

{AA - BB/2 - CC/2, AB, AC}                           RIGHT HANDED

{(AA + DD - BB - CC)/2, BC + AD}                 A MIRROR PLANE  at \pi\over 4 to the xy plane but here plotted in xy to have a look

{DD - BB/2 - CC/2, CD, BD}                          LEFT HANDED

THIS STRUCTURE i think might be interesting even if the mandelbrots are not. Particularly the plane as it may contain reflections of details in the brots not visible in the 3d brots.

Any way is any one interested as i am in seeing what this system looks like? I will expand it and find the vx for (x, y, z) if you are.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 11:06:46 AM by jehovajah » Logged

jehovajah
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2009, 05:09:43 AM »

David you said that the cut down quaternion would lathe and i think paul shows such a rendering, so can you explain what is happening in these renderings? The first is a 3d representation of z=z2 +c. The second and third if it shows are

z= z2- 2yzij +c which should be the same as

real(z)2-imag(z)2-imaj(z)2 +2*real(z)*imag(z)*i+2*real(z)*imaj(z)*j+c

which is x^2-y^2-z^2+2xyi+2xzj + c.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 08:30:52 PM by jehovajah, Reason: to save space » Logged

David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2009, 05:21:15 AM »

David you said that the cut down quaternion would lathe and i think paul shows such a rendering, so can you explain what is happening in these renderings? The first is a 3d representation of z=z2 +c. The second and third if it shows are

z= z2- 2yzij +c which should be the same as

zre2-zimagi2-zimagj2 +2*zre*zimagi*i+2*zre*zimagj*j+c

which is <Quoted Image Removed>.

I don't see how "-2yzj" is the same as "+2xzj" ?

Did you remember to avoid variable corruption ?

I mean you can't do:

zri = zri^2+cri
zj = 2*real(zri)*zj + cj

You have to do (for example)

zj = 2*real(zri)*zj + cj
zri = zri^2 + cri
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 05:27:04 AM by David Makin » Logged

Dranorter
« Reply #57 on: December 29, 2009, 08:23:22 PM »

Hi all, I apologize for not keeping up with this (or Mandelbulb discussion), but I hope this thread is an OK place to post an interesting 3D mandelbrot set-like render I ran into.

http://www.hevanet.com/bradc/MiscMathStuff.html

It is probably too chaotic overall, but I thought looking at the bifurcation diagram was interesting.
BradC
Safarist

« Reply #58 on: December 30, 2009, 03:16:49 AM »

Hey I recognize that picture smiley
kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #59 on: December 30, 2009, 08:54:52 PM »

hmmm....

looks much like a solidified Version of a rotated Buddhagram by Melinda Green...

Or the mix of a Mandelbrot and a logistic map (which are closely related anyway) smiley
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: