Logo by Fiery - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit the official fractalforums.com Youtube Channel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 29, 2024, 03:19:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Large m3i-file won't load (Mandelbulb3Dv189x1)  (Read 2000 times)
subarachnid
Forums Newbie

« on: October 25, 2014, 02:39:01 PM »

I am trying to load a very large m3i-file (~2,2GB). My System has 8GB of RAM. Whenever I hit load, MB3D just shows loading: myfile.m3i in the info-panel, but nothing happens at all cry The program remains completely responsive, showing the previous formula. Has anyone else encoutered this issue? Is there any way to open this file?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 02:49:33 PM by subarachnid » Logged
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 02:51:19 PM »

I am trying to load a very large m3i-file (~2,2GB). My System has 8GB of RAM. Whenever I hit load, MB3D just shows loading: myfile.m3i in the info-panel, but nothing happens at all cry The program remains completely responsive, showing the previous formular. Has anyone else encoutered this issue? Is there any way to open this file?

Hello and welcome to the forums   afro

Your file may be too large to load.

MB3D is a 32 bit program and as such is limited to about 3GB of RAM (some can use 4 if Large Address Aware). You can have more RAM on a 64 bit system, but all 32 bit programs are still limited by their nature. They simply can't use any more. It's possible the overhead has been reached by the processes needed to load it.

It's best with such large files to save the parameters as m3p parameter files so you don't lose the information needed to re-create them later. Sometimes the m3i files are simply too big for the system.

Or it may be a corrupt save.

Has it ever loaded before and just stopped working, or is this the first time trying to open it after a save?

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
subarachnid
Forums Newbie

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 03:00:29 PM »

Wow, thank you for this fast response! Yes, it is the first time I tried to open the file after saving it.
It might be a corrupt save. I just noticed that the preview-image in the open-file-dialog looks scrambled sad
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 10:48:18 PM »

Wow, thank you for this fast response! Yes, it is the first time I tried to open the file after saving it.
It might be a corrupt save. I just noticed that the preview-image in the open-file-dialog looks scrambled sad

Sorry to hear that   cry

Best advice I have is to always save an m3p file with your m3i files - they only contain the information needed to generate the image and are usually only a few kb.  They don't waste much space and make a good back-up in case of these sorts of problems.

Can you recreate something close from memory?  If not, there may be people here who can extract the formulas from the corrupt m3i file - though how to transfer such a huge file may be problematic   head batting

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
lenord
Fractal Bachius

No Matter where you go there you are

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 01:04:41 AM »

Check in the History Folder, you probably have it in there somewhere I'd bet....load it from there then when saving M3i Files that are huge with downsized Images instead of Full size they are easier to load. I've saved large image M3i files that work later but the largest I ever saved was about 350meg and 7200x4050 that must be one huge image to take Gigs, no wonder MB3D had trouble saving and loading it.
maddog
Forums Newbie

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 07:54:57 PM »

Thanks for the save as m3p tip. I also had a problem with a large rendered image that gave me an out of memory message when I tried to reload the m3i, but I just lowered the saved image size and it was good to go. Thanks for the History Folder tip. Works great. I thought they were gone forever. I would load a large M3I with a corrupted image, it would ok the parameters and then nothing would happen. Using the History Folder m3p, I was good to go. Thank You!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 08:15:05 PM by maddog » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: