Logo by Fiery - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Follow us on Twitter

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 18, 2024, 04:25:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: A different 3d mandelbrot idea  (Read 2346 times)
Description: 3d mandelbrot without singularities
Tglad
Fractal Molossus

« on: November 18, 2009, 07:13:46 AM »

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I've been looking at the marvellous 3d mandelbulbs rendered in the last few days. Awesome (a shot from inside a cave looking out would be cool).
I wonder whether the remaining whipped cream effects are because the coordinate system has singularities... if many values (e.g. all thetas when omega is 180 degrees) have the same physical position then they will get the same c in the formula, which will dilute out the fractal variation in places... perhaps.

Anyway, there is no mapping (or direction to move) on a sphere that is singularity free... (the hairy ball problem). So it would be really interesting to try it on a donut which is singularity free, theta is around the small radius and omega angle is around the big radius.

So each iteration:
  theta *= n
  omega *= n
  vec.x = cos(omega)*(2-cos(theta))
  vec.y = sin(theta)
  vec.z = sin(omega)*(2-cos(theta))
  vec *= pow(vec.magnitude, n-1) // raise length from origin to power n
  vec += c

If would be interesting to see what this would look like. I have no way to try it out, let me know if anyone can help.
 Thanks,
   Tom.
cbuchner1
Fractal Phenom

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 09:32:37 PM »

This idea has merits. Someone should investigate. wink
kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 10:32:37 PM »

several atempts on tori where made sofar and the results where that it just looked like the spherical mandelbrot but on a torus with more or less similar amount of whipped cream...

Actually I don't really care about the whipped cream all that much. I doubt there would be too much to do about it.
under circumstances, whipped cream is unavoidible for higher dimensions...

there was an other try with tetrahedron-foldings, resulting in a tetrahedralish Mandelbulb. It has less whipped cream overally but it's more or less concentrated on the bottom side of the tetrahedron...

I guess, though, in the end it's relatively unimportant, on which geometric object to map a 3D-Madelbrot.
In the end, it will just look the same basically but wrapped around that object. smiley

I think what wasn't tried sofar was an alternating geometric system like...

spherical z²

+c

toric z²

+c

spherical....

or

spherical z²

+c

toric z²

-c

spherical....

or something alike...
mrrgu
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 04:50:04 PM »

Hi

Great idea;D

Started to implement this..
But realized the way my code wotks is that it starts with cartesian coordinates...
Converts to polat modifies angles and length vector and then back to cartesian.

So is there an inverse for the toroid equations ?

So I can get from (x,y,z) to (vec.magnitude,omega,theta)

Can not find this on the web.. maybe not possible?  sad

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I've been looking at the marvellous 3d mandelbulbs rendered in the last few days. Awesome (a shot from inside a cave looking out would be cool).
I wonder whether the remaining whipped cream effects are because the coordinate system has singularities... if many values (e.g. all thetas when omega is 180 degrees) have the same physical position then they will get the same c in the formula, which will dilute out the fractal variation in places... perhaps.

Anyway, there is no mapping (or direction to move) on a sphere that is singularity free... (the hairy ball problem). So it would be really interesting to try it on a donut which is singularity free, theta is around the small radius and omega angle is around the big radius.

So each iteration:
  theta *= n
  omega *= n
  vec.x = cos(omega)*(2-cos(theta))
  vec.y = sin(theta)
  vec.z = sin(omega)*(2-cos(theta))
  vec *= pow(vec.magnitude, n-1) // raise length from origin to power n
  vec += c

If would be interesting to see what this would look like. I have no way to try it out, let me know if anyone can help.
 Thanks,
   Tom.
BradC
Safarist

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 10:29:53 PM »

There's a version of toroidal coordinates described in this thread: http://www.fractalforums.com/theory/toroidal-coordinates/

See the original message and also reply #4.
Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

nahee_enterprises Nahee.Enterprises NaheeEnterprise
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 05:52:00 PM »

Hi, I'm new to this forum.  I've been looking at the marvellous
    3d mandelbulbs rendered in the last few days.  Awesome....

Greetings, and a belated Welcome to this particular Forum !!!      cheesy

Always interesting to have new ideas put forth for people to discuss and try out.  That is what this forum is all about!!!

« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 02:28:21 AM by Nahee_Enterprises » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: