Logo by Fiery - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Did you know ? you can use LaTex inside Postings on fractalforums.com!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 26, 2024, 01:20:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Burning Ship - Celtic Spirals 1E244  (Read 1305 times)
stardust4ever
Fractal Bachius

« on: October 20, 2014, 01:31:49 AM »

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/NDcFWGa_vJU&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/v/NDcFWGa_vJU&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1</a>

In this video I explore spiral Julia formations found in the proximity of a Celtic mini. Rendered over 8 days on an 8-core AMD using Kalles Fraktaler with 3840x2160 oversampling. Scaled to 1280x720 for 3x3 Antialias. This will probably be my last 2nd order BS zoom for a while now that are a ton of new formulas available, many of which I helped contribute. wink

Partly inspired by CommanLineCowboy / Panzerboy's zoom into a similar region:
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/WH9WFY_JUzY&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/v/WH9WFY_JUzY&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1</a>

High quality download of original video:
https://mega.co.nz/#!blVhBKpC!5T56ezIkLHthnQVCBR8C5z_f27VmVyrsZg39GUpgc2E

EDIT: Youtube trashed the video as usual. hurt Feel free to download the Mega link: CRF 26, 1.83 Gbytes.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 01:50:49 AM by stardust4ever » Logged
youhn
Fractal Molossus

Shapes only exists in our heads.

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 05:37:24 PM »

Nice render! Thanks for taking the time for supersampling.

It's like chemical flowers and butterflies. And whatever it is, I like the four-fold shape at 1.59E186. I kinda have a preference for the 2- and 4-fold shapes. More shapes just creates circles, with less focus on the "subshapes" that make up the circles.
Kalles Fraktaler
Fractal Senior

kallesfraktaler
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 06:16:55 PM »

I kinda have a preference for the 2- and 4-fold shapes. More shapes just creates circles, with less focus on the "subshapes" that make up the circles.
Or 6, as the really cool and fascinating Cubic Buffalo is full of!
And I hope very much that you succeed using the skew function for future renders (I know, it is not very easy currently... smiley )

Want to create DEEP Mandelbrot fractals 100 times faster than the commercial programs, for FREE? One hour or one minute? Three months or one day? Try Kalles Fraktaler http://www.chillheimer.de/kallesfraktaler
http://www.facebook.com/kallesfraktaler
stardust4ever
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 06:38:41 PM »

Or 6, as the really cool and fascinating Cubic Buffalo is full of!
And I hope very much that you succeed using the skew function for future renders (I know, it is not very easy currently... smiley )
You mentioned it in your release notes, but how does the skew unction work? I know I've rendered stills in the past at high resolution for manipulation in image editors. You have to use a skew command to make the oval shape perfectly horizontal or vertical, then change the aspect ratio.

I'll definitely be doing some 3rd order zooms next. Sadly I had just set up the render before the new version released, so I had to let it run it's course. but yeah, higher iteration density and double the antialias (3840 as opposed to 2560) means longer render time. I'm not doing concurrent renders as that can bog down my CPU, even with "below normal" thread priority.

Take care and thanks!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 06:42:02 PM by stardust4ever » Logged
youhn
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 07:10:56 PM »

First rotate to make sure the directional stretch is vertical or horizontal, then go to menu > Actions > Special > Special > Set Ratio (seems that it is very special...). Then DO NOT rotate to much afterwards (when using ratio of more than 1:100 or something), since it will affect the direction that the ratio is applied. It would be nice to have a semi-permanent dedicated window for both rotation and ratio, so the adjusting process works faster. Keyboard shortcuts would also be nice. I very often use the keyboard shortcuts ctrl-c and ctrl-i to go to colors or iterations.
stardust4ever
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 07:22:35 PM »

First rotate to make sure the directional stretch is vertical or horizontal, then go to menu > Actions > Special > Special > Set Ratio (seems that it is very special...). Then DO NOT rotate to much afterwards (when using ratio of more than 1:100 or something), since it will affect the direction that the ratio is applied. It would be nice to have a semi-permanent dedicated window for both rotation and ratio, so the adjusting process works faster. Keyboard shortcuts would also be nice. I very often use the keyboard shortcuts ctrl-c and ctrl-i to go to colors or iterations.
Is this setting found in the main software or the video frame renderer? I heard the resolution and temporal quality is just about halved when using rotations.
youhn
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 07:42:43 PM »

It's in the main program. Rotation only halves the resolution for dynamic rotation in videos. Rotate the view and then do a non-rotating video on it works just fine.
stardust4ever
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 07:48:27 PM »

It's in the main program. Rotation only halves the resolution for dynamic rotation in videos. Rotate the view and then do a non-rotating video on it works just fine.
Did they add this option in recently? I don't remember seeing it before.
youhn
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 08:00:52 PM »

http://www.fractalforums.com/kalles-fraktaler/hidden-treasures-revealed-kalles-fraktaler-2-7-2/

About 2 days old. Just downloaded it about 2 hrs ago.

While new areas can be explored this way, I still think it would be a challenge to really find something new. lol. Kinda is the property of fractals to challenge the whole meaning of "new"...
stardust4ever
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2014, 08:09:19 PM »

http://www.fractalforums.com/kalles-fraktaler/hidden-treasures-revealed-kalles-fraktaler-2-7-2/

While new areas can be explored this way, I still think it would be a challenge to really find something new. lol. Kinda is the property of fractals to challenge the whole meaning of "new"...
Thanks for sharing this. If the software is only 2 days old, and I spent the last 8 days rendering a fractal zoom...

Derp.
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2014, 09:29:29 PM »

right, you as fractalist should be aware of that "new" sometimes just means the same structure "new" arranged, either rotated, multiplied or something

nevertheless, the deep explorers, like kalle reveal the "new" experience for an ongoing amount of fractals that offer their beauty just far below in the ultra deep regions as you all might experience right now

what i personally find new and very interesting is the shape stacking, i wonder if that can be used to reveal something really worthfull

so, what about a true challenge for shaped stacks that really form the whole alphabet ? isnt that possible right now to actually construct those?

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
Kalles Fraktaler
Fractal Senior

kallesfraktaler
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2014, 12:23:20 AM »

Yeah I wasn't clear enough when I wrote the description of 'hidden treasures revealed'.
The very location is skewed. I sometimes think I made a mistake defining the location internally by its corners and not the center. But this turned out to be an advantage when it comes to stretching the view because the distance between pixels are different horizontally and vertically.
Further the rotation is also done before the pixel positions are calculated so there is no loss of information there either. So in summary, the view is rendered from skewed pixel mapping and no information is lost from interpolation.

Have you ever seen a deep (+e100) 3-pointed mini-Mandelbar before? Or the round wrist-watch like burning ship construction with dense pattern mixed with shallow pattern. Sure familiar but still different.
And the lovely burning ship spirals in these two movies in this thread would be more appealing, at least to me, without the skewness. If it isn't new it is at least more beautiful smiley

And yes, I am elaborating with a more easily accessible skew preview function smiley

Want to create DEEP Mandelbrot fractals 100 times faster than the commercial programs, for FREE? One hour or one minute? Three months or one day? Try Kalles Fraktaler http://www.chillheimer.de/kallesfraktaler
http://www.facebook.com/kallesfraktaler
stardust4ever
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2014, 01:08:36 AM »

right, you as fractalist should be aware of that "new" sometimes just means the same structure "new" arranged, either rotated, multiplied or something

nevertheless, the deep explorers, like kalle reveal the "new" experience for an ongoing amount of fractals that offer their beauty just far below in the ultra deep regions as you all might experience right now

what i personally find new and very interesting is the shape stacking, i wonder if that can be used to reveal something really worthfull

so, what about a true challenge for shaped stacks that really form the whole alphabet ? isnt that possible right now to actually construct those?
I have a bit of experience with shape stacking, obviously.

http://stardust4ever.deviantart.com/art/Magnum-Opus-Ex-3132-6-Zooms-274474754

With Mandelbrot, it is pretty strait forward. You find an interesting feature you want to double, so you select and inflection point within that feature. Zoom into the inflection point, to a spot approximately 50% deeper in zoom depth, and you will find your original feature neatly wrapped around the inflection point you chose, twice. In the 3rd order Mandelbrot, you pick a feature, find an inflection point not at the centroid, and zoom 33% deeper to find the original feature wrapped thrice around your chosen inflection point. Only in 2nd order Mandelbrot is it possible to line features up in neat concentric little rows.

Shape stacking operates a bit differently in formula which utilize an abs() function. Think of the ABS as a mirror. If you abs() the real value, the fractal gets reflected across the Y axis. If you abs() the imaginary value, the fractal gets reflected across the X axis. Shape stacking does work in the abs() variants, but it is not quite as trivial as with Mandelbrots.

Start with an interesting area within the Burning Ship. Pick a place you would like to replicate. Assuming the fractal is rendered so that the masts point up, when you decide upon an inflection point to zoom into, imagine a horizontal mirror being placed along that point, creating a line. Everything below that line gets reflected from the bottom half onto the top half. Then the half image is compressed to fit one fourth of the pie, and what you get is a periodic doubling with half of the information deleted, the remaining half reflected, then compressed and replicated by a factor of 2. For burning Ship, the plane of reflection is horizontal and zooming above the feature will create a more intricate pattern while zooming below the feature will create a less intricate pattern. Celtic fractals work the same way but the plane of reflection is vertical instead of horizontal. Remember, Celtic abs() the real side, Burning Ship abs() the imaginary side.

In the Buffalo Fractal, there are two planes of symmetry, so one quadrant gets reflected both ways by a factor of 4, and compressed and replicated by a factor of 2. The following image "Nuclear Clover" was generated by pattern stacking within the Buffalo set:

http://stardust4ever.deviantart.com/art/Nuclear-Clover-372268536

Here's a visual example of what I'm talking about:
Zooming into the 8 circles along the outer rim of the source image within the Buffalo fractal will produce different fractal results when using pattern stacking method. Only by zooming into the circles in the upper left quadrant, is the centroid of the original image duplicated. For Burning ship with masts pointing up, zooming into the top of the pattern creates more detail. For Celtic with needle facing left, zooming into the left side of the pattern creates more detail. For Buffalo, zooming into the quadrant above the needle generates increasing detail. Other fractals you will have to experiment.

And I'm only just beginning to learn the hidden nuances in the 3rd order fractals so far. The 3rd order Burning Ship tends to create first twofold and then six-fold symmetry with snowflake-like patterns. Remember, in third order pattern stacking, you are taking a pattern, reflecting one half while discarding the other, and compressing the result by a factor of three. this creates the beautiful six-sided snowflake designs found within the 3rd Order Burning Ship. One cool thing about 3rd order is you don't have to zoom quite as deep as 2nd to replicate stuff.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 01:26:09 AM by stardust4ever » Logged
laser blaster
Iterator

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2014, 04:11:42 AM »

Thanks for the in-depth explanation of shape stacking in the abs fractals. That'll be really useful for finding nice zoom locations.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: