Logo by bib - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit us on facebook

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 20, 2024, 03:02:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Mandelbulber v2 - 2.01  (Read 6335 times)
Buddhi
Fractal Iambus

« on: October 10, 2014, 11:55:21 AM »

Mandelbulber v2 2.01

Free download (executables and source): http://sourceforge.net/projects/mandelbulber/

This is first release of Mandelbulber v2. The program was rewritten from scratch to have nice Qt based user interface. I hope you like it.

What is new in compare with old Mandelbulber?
- user interface is based on Qt 5 environment (before was GTK2+)
- instead of separate windows, there is big main window witch all function grouped in movable and detachable docks (View/Save window state stores favorite window configuration)
- most of edit fields has sliders to set value by mouse. Edit fields where range of value is very high, has slider with logarythmic scale.
- new camera-target functionality and navigator. There is possible to move/rotate camera and target separately. 
- new and more efficient algorithm for image refreshing. Now there is not needed to wait until first percent of image is already rendered. New refreshing method is more intelligent and for instant is able to refresh SSAO effect for only latest rendered lines of image
- textures (for background, environment mapping....) has previews
- new setting file format. I know that you will blame me, but in next version will be import function for old Mandelbulber settings (in 95% should be possible to convert)
- every edit field shows tooltip with default value and parameter name which is the same in setting files
- every parameter which is not default is bold
- every edit field in context menu has reset to default function
- new 3D cursor shows coordinates and distance from camera and actual function
- for hybrid fractals there is separate tab to set parameters for each formula
- thumbnails for settings preview are cached

What is still missing in compare with old Mandelbulber?
- animation editor
- rendering via network
- OpenCL support
- primitive objects
- some fractal formulas

What is prioritized in todo list?
- converter for old Mandelbulber settings
- primitive objects
- set of new example settings files
- add more fractal formulas (your help is needed!)

Further interesting ideas which are possible with new application framework:
- in animation editor will be possible to set different interpolation for each parameter and to change value of selected parameters for every keyframe by one click
- visual spline tangent editor for parameter interpolation
- export/import animation to/from csv file
- automatic animation of selected parameters with sound (frequency bands)

As always every feedback is appreciated!

SVN repository: http://mandelbulber2.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/
This repository is available from Google Code: http://code.google.com/p/mandelbulber2/

quaz0r
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 06:04:37 PM »

awesome!  A Beer Cup
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 07:02:39 PM »

nice! sound control is always tricky, consider various audio controls:

- bump with fallof ( peak on highest band in range, decay duration to get back to start) + direction
- continuous, e.g. for rotations the peak controlls the addition, a start end range  controls the range beetween values + direction 
   - can be combined with fallof as well
- direction controls +/-

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
Buddhi
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 09:12:01 PM »

Important: I forgot to mention that installation of Mandelbulber v2 will not overwrite old Mandelbulber. It's installed in separate folder (on Windows and Linux), so you can have old and new Mandelbulber together. So there no risk.

nice! sound control is always tricky, consider various audio controls:
- bump with fallof ( peak on highest band in range, decay duration to get back to start) + direction
- continuous, e.g. for rotations the peak controlls the addition, a start end range  controls the range beetween values + direction 
   - can be combined with fallof as well
- direction controls +/-
Thanks for interesting suggestions.

mclarekin
Fractal Senior

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 04:03:41 AM »

Thank you Buddhi for V2.01,
will the OpenCL support still have the ability to write own formulas?
a visual spline editor sounds interesting.

here is some thoughts/ wish list

Reinstate the cross hairs for middle of image;

More primitive shapes - cylinder, pyramid, cone

Multiple instances of primitive shapes;

More options for primitive shape surfaces like - gradient colouring, some  surface texture parameters , use of jpeg on a primitive plane surface
(however I realise that lots of different shapes, each with a multitude of parameters may be difficult to manage.)

Rotate/move fractal independent to water plane and background texture image; (and maybe change so that the jpeg image used is not a mirror image like it is currently.)

Mouse click options - reinstate measure (helps with estimating navigation movements, estimating primitive shape size, and sometimes I cut and paste these coordinates);

Mouse click options - reinstate set front of primitive fog ;

Choice of linear mode navigation for animating between key frames;
square or cubic functions for interpolating between keyframes to mimic acceleration deceleration

DEcombinate

Saving image shadow only.

Thanks again for Mandelbulber in all its versions
Buddhi
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2014, 10:52:09 AM »

More primitive shapes - cylinder, pyramid, cone
Multiple instances of primitive shapes;

Thanks for suggestions. Most of them I have on my TODO list. I especially like this with multiple primitives. This could give opportunity to construct some more sophisticated objects like e.g. spacecrafts. It can be useful for animations. I also think about not limited number of light sources (now is 4). Everything will take some time, but new program framework is more flexible. I have work for next years  cheesy

joe
Explorer

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 07:07:29 AM »

- visual spline tangent editor for parameter interpolation
- automatic animation of selected parameters with sound (frequency bands)

Exciting stuff! I was always hoping the audio would come back.

I'll get right onto testing the new version. Wonderful to have symmetry in layout.
Some more ideas are brewing for my wishlist.
mclarekin
Fractal Senior

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2014, 08:39:51 AM »

Gave it another trial today, seems to run quicker than 1.21 (but not as fast as 1.21 openCL)
Having a bit of trouble with the new interface but that's to be expected at the beginning

A couple of thoughts
-Could not find where to put the fractal constant
- Some parameters may need more than two decimal places

And yes you have many years of work ahead of you, but I can wait, because the inclusion of ability to write Custom Formulas in V1.21 has infinitely increased the possibilities for me. I have so far only experimented with basic mandlebox and menger modification, there is so much more to explore!

As always, I thank you Buddhi
lukesleftleg
Navigator

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2014, 04:49:07 PM »

Just to say thank you very much for all your hard work, Buddhi.

I haven't had a chance to have more than a quick look yet, but my first impressions are extremely good.

Nice one. cheesy
piotrv
Forums Newbie

Pumpkineater

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2014, 09:10:12 PM »

Please update README file in mandelbulber2-2.01.tar.gz

2. COMPILING

packages needed to run: libqt5gui5
packages needed to compile: qt5-default, libjpeg8, qttools5-dev, qttools5-dev-tools

On Ubuntu or Debian:
 # apt-get install libqt5gui5 qt5-default  libjpeg8-dev qttools5-dev qttools5-dev-tools

qttools5-dev & qttools5-dev-tools were missing . . .

Thanks for all the hard work already put into this new release  thank you post swing
Looking forward to OpenCL support (wished I could help, but I'm just a simple guy)

Dzięki !

tested with Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS x64

« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 10:25:54 PM by piotrv » Logged
quaz0r
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2014, 09:39:09 PM »

as the task at hand is compiling source, so-called "dev" packages are of course an implied requirement.
reactorman
Navigator

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2014, 09:55:52 AM »

I really haven't had the time to do anything with fractals in a while, but now that I see there's a new version of Mandelbulber, I'd like to give it a try.  I know this has just been completed recently, but I was wondering if there are going to be any tutorial(s) for this version?

Jim  -  reactorman
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: