Logo by dainbramage - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit the official fractalforums.com Youtube Channel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 25, 2024, 10:54:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Newcomer from Paris trying to build a "wall of concave cubes"  (Read 731 times)
ezekiel
Forums Newbie

« on: August 22, 2014, 05:52:51 PM »

Hello,

I'm ezekiel, I'm digging creative writing and hopefully I will succeed in this field before I'm 62 (I'm 28 right now).

I'm working on my first novel and through the writing process I began to incorporate images such as screen captures from Google Street View, textile patterns and computerized drawings.

I'm fully dedicated to create all these images by myself and I now need to create a 3D image. I'm not sure yet that Mandebulb 3D is what I need so I logged in here to try figuring out.

I might open a specific topic for it but here are a few lines about what I'm trying to create :

An endless wall made of big cubes. Each cube has a concave face, as if a semi sphere section had been extracted from it.

It's quite simple and note necessarily fractalish and I know I could use many softwares to create this wall. I picked Mandelbulb 3D because I like the lightning and coloring options. My cube unite would look like the following image but with a spherical cut inside the cube and without the "plants".

« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 06:17:24 PM by ezekiel » Logged
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 10:37:00 PM »

Hello and welcome to the forums   afro

Sounds like you'd be best off with a standard 3D Modeling/rendering package rather than fractal generators.

I use Carrara and it could do this with a cube and a replicator.  Probably a bit of other tricks like a modifier to punch a hemispherical indentation to the cube before replicating.

That would give uniform cubes though.  You'd need to use more if you want the varying sizes of the Menger you posted.  But Carrara and other 3D packages have far superior lighting and coloring options to MB3D.

Hope that helps..
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 11:26:29 PM by Sockratease, Reason: Speelinf Eroorz » Logged

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: