Logo by mclarekin - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Follow us on Twitter

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 23, 2024, 07:14:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Bot-accusation for using feedly  (Read 1599 times)
kram1032
Fractal Senior

« on: August 18, 2014, 11:55:41 AM »

I recently installed feedly so I'd not have to constantly check all the various sites I regularly visit for updates. One of the feeds I added was of this forum.
This works nicely, however, when I clicked on the link from feedly to a post I was interested in, fractalforums thought I'd be a bot and asked me to solve two additions and leave two fields blank.
And after solving those, I was linked to the main page, instead of the post I wanted to visit.

I know that this spam protection measure might be very necessary. But I wonder if you could somehow make it so I won't be detected as bot from following the link from a RSS feed, or at least that it remembers the page I wanted to go to, so that, after solving the tests, I land where I want to be, and not at the main page.
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 12:06:00 PM »

please provide a link that creates such behaviour, i am totally unaware of this feature, though i like it wink but i understand it is quite annoying and i try to remove it, are you browsing with that feedly browser ? perhaps it is as simple as adjusting the user agent of such

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 12:36:12 PM »

feedly is a plugin for browsers. I used chrome.
However, the issue appears to be not so simple after all. Maybe I was just unlucky that time around: For this post, I got right here without any spam alert. I will update you once it happens again.
The actual page I landed at is this one though: http://www.fractalforums.com/warning.php
Rodriges
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 07:23:48 AM »

We are an expert remodeling company  with providing expert interior painting and renovation services in the Parallel Universe area and surrounding suburbs.
http://fractalforums.com/
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 09:47:26 AM by Sockratease, Reason: Removed Spam Links and modified their url / description for fun. » Logged
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 07:40:21 AM »

We are an expert remodeling company  with providing expert interior painting and renovation services in the Parallel Universe area and surrounding suburbs.
http://fractalforums.com/

lol, how did this spamm slip through ?!?!?huh? ? huh?? huh?? huh? huh? huh?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 09:48:22 AM by Sockratease, Reason: Removed Quoted Spam Links and modified their url / description for fun. » Logged

---

Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 09:51:10 AM »

lol, how did this spamm slip through ?!?!?huh? ? huh?? huh?? huh? huh? huh?

Easy.

Probably not a bot, had a legit email and no reason to not approve the membership.

People manually spam too, like this guy who has been banned and reported to StopForumSpam.com

I edited your post, Christian, because quoting spam links only gives them double exposure!

Don't worry, he wont be back  police

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 10:16:36 AM »

i see, lol thanks sock, funny that it choose this thread for his spam, rolling on floor laughing

---

kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 10:20:22 AM »

xD this is insane
I'd think that this was on purpose though, specifically targeting threads about spam.
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 10:29:36 AM »

xD this is insane
I'd think that this was on purpose though, specifically targeting threads about spam.

Possible.

But knowing spammers, it is equally likely because this thread had the most recent post in the top section of the forum at the time he posted.  Which is actually more of a bot behaviour pattern than a human spammer.

Doesn't matter.

He's gone and the only reason the post was not deleted was because Christian quoted it and I wouldn't feel right deleting the Boss's posts   cop

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2014, 11:17:19 AM »

it would be ok, if in doubt just moving it to the admin area is another option, but it is good rule of engagment because i tend to overly eager and early deleting stuff, which i try to dismiss myself from wink

---

Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2014, 06:10:08 PM »

Ha-ha!

It just tried to register again!

But this time, thanks to StopForumSpam.com the registration appears as a known spammer  cheesy

See:

Hey Roddy - if you are reading this and are a human with an interest in Fractals who mistakenly thought we'd welcome your rude and blatant advertising, contact us!  We are reasonable and forgiving people and if you let us know that post was a mistake, and apologize (and assure us it will not happen again), I am sure we can remove you from the list of known spammers in the StopForumSpam.com database and you can still be a welcome and valued member of our community.

However; if you are, as I suspect, just another spambot - your presence in the StopForumSpam.com database will allow many other websites to reject your membership before you even get the chance to post your spam!!

Sorry to hijack this thread like this, but I find it both amusing and educational to do so.

kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2014, 12:01:40 PM »

Ok, I have come here through feedly several times now, never having the same issue again. I think it's save to say that it was an anomaly. I will report here if it happens again but thus far everything seems fine.
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2014, 12:08:43 PM »

ok, we did not change anything on our side, that spam protection is obviously highly important cheesy

---

kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2014, 12:17:28 PM »

indeed it is, as was made clear by a certain someone ironically in this very thread cheesy
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2014, 12:45:54 PM »

indeed it is, as was made clear by a certain someone ironically in this very thread cheesy

You'd be surprised at how much you never even see!

From rejecting obvious spambots before they register to catching things like this one and just deleting it quickly enough that only a couple members even get to see it.

Thanks for the update and I'm glad the security isn't too strict for the rss feed tool you use  afro

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: