Logo by haltenny - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Follow us on Twitter

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 26, 2024, 10:03:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Norton problem  (Read 1553 times)
ferez
Forums Newbie

« on: August 01, 2014, 02:32:08 PM »

Just downloaded mandelbulb but Norton finds a problem and deletes the .exe.Can anyone suggest what I can do next as I always trust Norton. Are there any other downloads that would be OK?

ferez huh?
ellarien
Conqueror

I like flowers

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 05:07:10 PM »

Do you mean Mandelbulber or Mandelbulb3D? If it's Mandelbulber, you could do what I did at first and run it in a VM environment under linux. smiley But I'm pretty sure it's a false positive -- something about the installer looks suspicious, but it's really fine. Mandelbulb3d shouldn't trip anything, as it doesn't get 'installed' as such, it just sits where it's unzipped to. So if that's giving you an alarm, I would look for a different download. Did you get the official one from fractalforums.com?

lenord
Fractal Bachius

No Matter where you go there you are

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 08:41:25 AM »

My Avast pro AV did the same thing a couple weeks ago, I reported it to Avast software as a False Positive, they checked it out and supposedly an definitions update had flagged the .exe as malware, they remedied it in another Defs update, in the meantime I just addeded it to the AV exclusion list and carried on.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 08:43:01 AM by lenord » Logged
JohnVV
Conqueror

having fun

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 08:51:54 AM »

Where did you install it to ?
C:/Program Files
or the better location
C:/Mandelbulber
or
C:/Mandelbulb3D

i would not install it to the cluttered "program files"

Running OpenSUSE 42.1-64bit & ScientificLinux-6.7-64bit
I don't pitch Linux to my friends,I let Microsoft do it for me!"
Caleidoscope
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 10:01:40 AM »

I had the same with Apophysis, Norton had no problem but Malwarebytes blocked the programme for it found 2 pup.optional (something) and considered it a threat.
With Norton if I'm sure the programme must be ok, I put it on the Norton safelist. I prefer the downloads here at the forum to be as safe as possible I guess. But still scan them before installing and afterward.  What more can you do? And like John said, I also unzip the programme in a normal library file, all my fractal progr. are there. Just as easy and a bit safer I think.

"Today you create the memory for tomorrow, be sure to make it a good one"
ferez
Forums Newbie

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 12:14:11 PM »

Hi,
Sorry for late reply.
It was Mandelbulb3D that had the problem. Mandelbulber was checked and all was ok.
I know that it is probably a false positive with Norton but I would rather be safe than sorry and so will not gamble with it.
Is there another program that is similar to Mandelbulb3D that I could try?
Thanks for all of your help.

ferez  smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: