Logo by DarkBeam - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Support us via Flattr FLATTR Link

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 28, 2024, 09:48:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: M3D - Render navi window exactly  (Read 6064 times)
hugen13
Forums Newbie

« on: July 24, 2014, 09:11:33 PM »

Hi,

sometimes I find the picture in the navi window more artistic than the rendered result. What parameters (light, formula, calculation...) do I need to calculate the picture from the navi window, that the result looks exactly(!) like the preview.
Unfortunately I can't figure out, how to do this. There also seems no possibility to save the picture in the navi window or preview it at higher resolution.

In the screenshot you can see the navi window on the right side and the result on the left side. But I want that the result looks exactly like the preview.

Thanks
Anton

* m3d.jpg (74.23 KB, 681x417 - viewed 703 times.)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 10:08:28 PM by hugen13 » Logged
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 10:51:43 PM »

Hi,

sometimes I find the picture in the navi window more artistic than the rendered result. What parameters (light, formula, calculation...) do I need to calculate the picture from the navi window, that the result looks exactly(!) like the preview.
Unfortunately I can't figure out, how to do this. There also seems no possibility to save the picture in the navi window or preview it at higher resolution.

In the screenshot you can see the navi window on the right side and the result on the left side. But I want that the result looks exactly like the preview.

Thanks
Anton
Hello and welcome to the forums   afro

The short answer is that you can't.

There are reasons for this like the fact that the navi uses a completely different render engine than the main program, one optimized for speed above quality.

And I too have requested a render feature from the navi window to disc, but it never happened.  Jesse  (the developer of MB3D) is on an extended leave of absence for personal reasons, so nothing in the software will change until he has been back for a while and decides to work on this again.  For the foreseeable future, the current version of MB3D will have no changes at all.

That said, there is some hope.

In the navi window, down at the bottom with the buttons for bringing in parameters and lights is a little "M" button.  Click that to store the lighting used in the navi to memory - then click an empty memory spot in the lighting tab.  This will store the lights from the navi for future use.  Then assign the lights you just saved to the main window.

After that you will in all likelihood need to adjust things like DE Stop, etc, to get it closer.

It may never be identical, but it can come close.

Hope that helps.

Good luck with it!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 10:53:22 PM by Sockratease, Reason: Speelinf Eroorz » Logged

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
hugen13
Forums Newbie

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 03:49:07 PM »

Hello,

thank you very much for your help.

It's a pity that this does not work, and it seems that there is only a very little chance to get this feature. Do you know if Jesse plans to give the code to the public like mandelbulber?

The idea to use the colors from the preview is good, but I can't get it work. If I click on the small 'M' in the 3D navi window, I get a small arrow pointing to the top, but I only can click on the 3 preset just under the 'M'. It does not work for me, if I click a preset button in the lighting tab - nothing happens. The only way for the light seems to go from the main window to the 3d navi but not versa.

Am I doing something wrong?

Anton
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 06:03:59 PM »

Hello,

thank you very much for your help.

It's a pity that this does not work, and it seems that there is only a very little chance to get this feature. Do you know if Jesse plans to give the code to the public like mandelbulber?

The idea to use the colors from the preview is good, but I can't get it work. If I click on the small 'M' in the 3D navi window, I get a small arrow pointing to the top, but I only can click on the 3 preset just under the 'M'. It does not work for me, if I click a preset button in the lighting tab - nothing happens. The only way for the light seems to go from the main window to the 3d navi but not versa.

Am I doing something wrong?

Anton

Hi.

Sorry, I think I remembered how to do this wrong!

I tried it now, and it does not work as I recalled.

Maybe it changed, or (more likely) since my brain is made entirely out of wood - I may be having termite problems again.

I know there was a discussion and this idea was proposed as a solution.  I'll have to look for it...

I do recall Jesse saying that he has no plans for releasing the code to open source as he may have other plans for it.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
ellarien
Conqueror

I like flowers

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 12:26:53 AM »

It looks as though it gets saved as 'NaviLightPreset1.m3l' and can then be loaded into the main lighting window from the file. But I suspect it's just the light that was loaded from the main window in the first place that gets saved rather than a special Navi version.
hugen13
Forums Newbie

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 11:09:47 AM »

Hi there,

thank you both very much for your hints.

As you can see in the image, I managed to come close to the Navi window. It's not exactly like it, but I played with the parameters (DE stop and others) and I uses the 'NaviLightPreset1.m3l', so the result is not bad at all.

But I have another problem. If I render under different resolutions, I get different results. In the picture you can see, that the resolution is different. I only changed that and nothing else, so I am a little bit confused, why this is happening. I could understand it, if the proportions were changed, but I kept the aspect.

Anton

* resolution.jpg (111.71 KB, 462x500 - viewed 695 times.)
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 12:06:31 PM »

... If I render under different resolutions, I get different results. In the picture you can see, that the resolution is different. I only changed that and nothing else, so I am a little bit confused, why this is happening. I could understand it, if the proportions were changed, but I kept the aspect.

Anton

Look for the "DE Stop + C" check box next to the image size thingies.

Uncheck it.

Often when using distance estimates MB3D can change the results with different resolutions.  Not sure why Jesse thought this would help with that, but I get better results without it.  It increases the DE Stop automatically with resolution.  Often I need a small increase but never as big as it seems to apply.

Hope that helps   afro

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: