Logo by KRAFTWERK - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Check out the originating "3d Mandelbulb" thread here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 29, 2024, 02:56:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Competition 2014 is over thank you for participating, these are the results !  (Read 11462 times)
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2014, 10:46:36 PM »

I feel the need to point out that we may well be overcomplicating this to the point of absurdity.

The simplest way is the way used by professional art contests, namely you get one vote for one image.  Period.

The most votes gets first place and ties are broken by a judge (or, of course, hand to hand combat - to the death!).

Who gets to be the judge?

In the contests I have been involved with, the judges are 99% of the time the sponsors of the contests.

Simple.  Straight-forward.  No overblown formulas, averaging, or anything complicated.

Often each person can vote for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place.  But often it's a single vote per person, and I like that method best.

Yes, folks can wind up voting for themselves and I see nothing wrong with that despite popular opinion.  After all, in any political election where votes actually mean something in life - candidates ALWAYS vote for themselves and nobody complains.  It's expected they will do so and only makes news if they deviate from that standard.

I may have said that already, but it was included in lists of possibilities.

This method is the one I would chose if there were a poll  (which I believe there should be!) or if I were Grand High Such-And-Such!

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
Chillheimer
Global Moderator
Fractal Schemer

Just another fractal being floating by..

chilli.chillheimer chillheimer
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2014, 07:32:57 PM »

this easiest solution might actually really be the best. I second sockrateas' proposal, also for the voting on how to vote in future votings! wink

but voting for oneself shouldn't be possible. or we'd have sth like 25 entries with one 5star vote each.

and: posted movies should be invisible until the voting period and they should be listed in randomized order to minimize the impact of the date of addition.

my 1,5cents
cheers everybody!

and congrats to all participants.
care less for votes of strangers and be proud of what you achieved! A Beer Cup

--- Fractals - add some Chaos to your life and put the world in order. ---
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2014, 10:41:07 PM »

this easiest solution might actually really be the best. I second sockrateas' proposal, also for the voting on how to vote in future votings! wink

but voting for oneself shouldn't be possible. ... 

While I always make it a point to agree with anybody who agrees with me, I have to take issue with the inability to vote for oneself!

Unless we all get to vote for 3 images.  But in that case it should be a simple 3 image vote, each getting one "point" per vote with no double-voting for the same image.  You need not vote for 3 if you don't want to, but you should not be able to place 2 or even all 3 votes for any one image.

I still see no problems with self voting though.  It just makes sense to me.  But whatever everybody else wants...

I was thinking of using the site's polling feature for voting this way.  That way nobody can vote more than their share and it would be controlled by the forum software.  It already exists and nobody would have to program anything.

The only drawback to using forum polls is that there would be no way to stop somebody from self voting  (which is fine by me   afro ).  But it gives a simple One Vote, One Point system, easily set up and easily monitored.  It can be set to not reveal poll results until the poll expires too, so no sneaky sorting the gallery to guess how things are doing and no questions of a single deadline for everybody!

Looking forward to the vote for voting techniques!

Then we shall see...

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
LhoghoNurbs
Safarist

« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2014, 11:05:04 PM »

Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2014, 11:17:46 PM »

<Quoted Image Removed>

What defines "fair" - and what is the difference between "cozy" and "simple" ?

LhoghoNurbs
Safarist

« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2014, 11:40:29 PM »

Simple = simple algorithm and internal design, also, simple to explain and understand
Cozy = convenient for the community of voters to review hundreds of entries and vote; also the possibility for voters to express their true opinion via their votes
Fair = provides ranking that most of us will consider fair, correct, acceptable; also the ranking is very hard to cheat

Example of not simple: a very complex algorithm, so that only few people can understand
Example of not cozy: a user has two favourites, but is forced to pick only one of then; or the user must vote for every entry; or the scoring scale is 0..100
Example of not fair: an easy way to boost the ranking of one entry utilizing flaws in the scoring/voting system
Viking
Forums Freshman

« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2014, 01:50:22 AM »

congrats to the winners, awsome work.  smiley

bit weird to see different rating numbers tho, guess it means people just voted for some pictures and didnt even watched through the rest.
maybe it would be better to let people post their top 3 and count it down at the end.

thank you for the contest, had a lot fun creating my entrys and that is what matters  smiley
Gregoryno6
Alien

« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2014, 02:24:17 AM »

This was the first real chance I've had to see what other people are producing in fractal art. Very interesting.
reactorman
Navigator

« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2014, 12:18:45 PM »

Hey all,

I'm not really sure how this idea will go down, but I figured I could at least try.  I'm sure most have heard of the "Razzies".  Well, maybe we could have the "Frazzies".  A collection of the worst fractals.  At least then, I may have a chance of winning something  :smiley  LOL!!!

Jim  -  reactorman
Caleidoscope
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2014, 12:40:57 PM »

Hi  Jim,
LOL,  same here so you can count me in wink   champagne toast

"Today you create the memory for tomorrow, be sure to make it a good one"
LhoghoNurbs
Safarist

« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2014, 12:51:23 PM »

Just imagegoogled "worst fractal", with the quotes. Found some really cute ones.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: