Logo by DsyneGrafix - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Check out the originating "3d Mandelbulb" thread here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 28, 2024, 10:17:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: New Animation Software Concept – Your Opinion Needed  (Read 8181 times)
juharkonen
Forums Freshman

« on: May 08, 2014, 04:05:21 PM »

I'm working on a new creative animation tool for algorithmic and fractal artists named Artificator. The application combines a number of elements that I haven't seen in other fractal software, and I'd like to hear your opinion on whether this kind of software would be of any use to you.

The application combines the following components for creating animations:
Brushes - user paints colors on the screen with mouse cursor
Background flow field - the brush strokes flow around and fade away on the background based on the flow field settings
Colors - user can adjust background and brush colors. Optionally user can also enable a Nova Ducky Julia fractal that can be set up to interact with brush strokes as well (other fractals can be added later).

Brushes, flow field, colors and fractal have a number of properties that the user can adjust with sliders on the screen. There's a playable demo here that shows you how this works.

With the upcoming editor application based on this concept, all brush strokes and slider adjustments can be recorded, replayed and looped. User can also pick a soundtrack and synchronize the recorded loops to the bpm of the music, thus making the creation of accurately timed music videos a breeze.

This tool evolved to resolve the limitations and difficulties I had in making animations with Ultra Fractal. The editor provides immediate feedback and animation preview for adjusting the various graphics properties. Also rendering times for videos are reasonable - eg. a 4-minute animation at 1080p took about an hour to render and encode to H.264 (and this could be improved further).

I've had a lot of fun with the prototype and it has enabled a faster, more intuitive workflow than any other animation software I've used for algorithmic animations. See these animations to get an idea of what I've done with it.

I've received mixed feedback about the application and I'm undecided whether this is a software worth developing further. It could be the case that people just haven't figured yet how totally awesome and unique this workflow is, or maybe it's just me unable to see that it isn't. To widen my perspective I'd like to hear what you think. If you've worked with fractal animations in the past, please share your opinions on this thread. A public beta is intended to begin around August should I decide to continue the project – more info on that later.
eiffie
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 04:30:08 PM »

Actually from your description I was expecting something different from the second video. I thought that it would be similar to fractal flames but with the first iteration being drawn by the user in real time. I thought that idea was pretty cool but that video didn't do much for me. So count me as not understanding it (yet).
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: