Logo by AGUS - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit us on facebook

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 19, 2024, 09:03:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Hello fractal forums!  (Read 1177 times)
billtavis
Safarist

« on: April 30, 2014, 11:40:12 PM »

Hello there!
My full name is Bill Tavis, but I go by Tavis.  It's pronounced TAY-viss (everybody wants to say "taaa-viss" as if they were trying to say Travis without the 'r', but unfortunately this is wrong). I have always had an interest in fractals since I was a kid but have just in recent years actually begun trying to understand and create them.  My college education was in art, but since graduation I supplemented this knowledge with some basic programming skills.  These new-found skills seemed to open up some amazing new artistic potentials for the computer, fractals certainly included.  I bought "The Science of Fractal Images" and it has been my faithful guide on this journey.
In my spare time I make trippy animated gifs for Tumblr and I use the knowledge I have gained about fractals for many of them.  See them here: billtavis.tumblr.com/tagged/fractal/
When I get stuck and can't find what I am looking for in that wonderful book I turn to the internet for help, and almost every answer I found was on this forum!  Seriously it didn't matter how obscure a topic I was searching for, I almost always found it here. Often times I also found something unexpected yet inspiring as well! That's why I joined.  Also I am excited about the newly announced contest and will hopefully have some sweet images to upload!
Chillheimer
Global Moderator
Fractal Schemer

Just another fractal being floating by..

chilli.chillheimer chillheimer
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 01:42:34 PM »

Hi Tavis,
welcome to the forum!
I'm looking forward to many fruitful discussions on fractals!
cheers,
Chilli

--- Fractals - add some Chaos to your life and put the world in order. ---
youhn
Fractal Molossus

Shapes only exists in our heads.

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 07:34:10 PM »

Welcome Tavis!

You're right that this forum houses tons of great info on many fractal-related subjects. The focus is mostly on the current topics, but I should definitely dig into that more! By the way, your "fractaleyes" animated gif is really cool. Like the way the movement is not straight, but kinda elastic-bouncy. Some other are just activators for my imagination. I keep wondering what they would or could be. Nice mix of recognition and obscuration.
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 08:44:08 PM »

Haha, hello and welcome to the forums, sou come the right time to join our compo

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
Caleidoscope
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 01:27:50 PM »

Welcome Tavis,  looking forward to see some of your fractal art. 
Have fun! 

Greetings
Caleidoscope

"Today you create the memory for tomorrow, be sure to make it a good one"
billtavis
Safarist

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 02:01:09 AM »

thanks for the warm welcome, everyone!  cheesy

youhn, thanks! On the fractaleyes gif, I zoomed straight in on a perfect Sierpinski triangle-based fractal, then as post-processing I used an evolving fractal noise map to deform it.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 02:03:07 AM by billtavis, Reason: needed to subscribe to thread » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: