Logo by Sockratease - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Check out the originating "3d Mandelbulb" thread here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 19, 2024, 11:42:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Kalles Fraktaler 2 - Open project  (Read 7198 times)
Kalles Fraktaler
Fractal Senior

kallesfraktaler
« on: March 19, 2014, 06:27:46 PM »

I don't have the time to make Kalles Fraktaler compile-able on Bloodshed DevC++ and gcc, I give up this.

Instead I have updated the source and ensured it can be compiled on Visual Studio 10.
http://www.chillheimer.de/kallesfraktaler/fraktal_src.zip

Code:
// COVERED CODE IS PROVIDED UNDER THIS LICENSE ON AN "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTY
// OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, WARRANTIES
// THAT THE COVERED CODE IS FREE OF DEFECTS, MERCHANTABLE, FIT FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE
// OR NON-INFRINGING. THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO THE QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE OF THE COVERED
// CODE IS WITH YOU. SHOULD ANY COVERED CODE PROVE DEFECTIVE IN ANY RESPECT, YOU (NOT
// THE INITIAL DEVELOPER OR ANY OTHER CONTRIBUTOR) ASSUME THE COST OF ANY NECESSARY
// SERVICING, REPAIR OR CORRECTION. THIS DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTY CONSTITUTES AN ESSENTIAL
// PART OF THIS LICENSE. NO USE OF ANY COVERED CODE IS AUTHORIZED HEREUNDER EXCEPT UNDER
// THIS DISCLAIMER.

Want to create DEEP Mandelbrot fractals 100 times faster than the commercial programs, for FREE? One hour or one minute? Three months or one day? Try Kalles Fraktaler http://www.chillheimer.de/kallesfraktaler
http://www.facebook.com/kallesfraktaler
Chillheimer
Global Moderator
Fractal Schemer

Just another fractal being floating by..

chilli.chillheimer chillheimer
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 02:26:11 PM »

Thank you so much for this generous gift to the public!!

If everyone would act like this, sharing their work, the world were a much nicer place wink

If I could programm, I'd be on this right away!
I really hope others who can will take this chance..

--- Fractals - add some Chaos to your life and put the world in order. ---
youhn
Fractal Molossus

Shapes only exists in our heads.

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 08:09:37 PM »

the wave  thank you post swing

This should indeed be encouraged more often. Thank you very much Karl Runmo! I've already looked under the hood. But since I'm only at the level of a script-kiddie (I know some programming words), I did not understand much of it. But then again, I was expecting far too much I think. Most of the code looks pretty bare. Would be nice to see some more comments.
thargor6
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 09:51:51 PM »

Another fine open product, nice!  A Beer Cup A Beer Cup A Beer Cup :-)
simon.snake
Fractal Bachius

Experienced Fractal eXtreme plugin crasher!

simon.fez SimonSideBurns
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 11:44:59 PM »

I wonder how much effort it would be to port this to mobile platforms?

It would give me something new to play with on my Nokia N8 (Symbian) while waiting for the price of the Samsung Galaxy S4 to go down (good job I've got patience)...

To anyone viewing my posts and finding missing/broken links to a website called www.needanother.co.uk, I still own the domain but recently cancelled my server (saving £30/month) so even though the domain address exists, it points nowhere.  I hope to one day sort something out but for now - sorry!
LionHeart
Explorer

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 09:04:53 PM »

Hi Kalles Fraktaler,

I tried to download the source but got an error 404 message. I would love to build it with Visual Studio 10.

Any chance for a copy?

Thanks.

Paul the LionHeart
Kalles Fraktaler
Fractal Senior

kallesfraktaler
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 09:44:20 PM »

Hi Kalles Fraktaler,

I tried to download the source but got an error 404 message. I would love to build it with Visual Studio 10.

Any chance for a copy?

Thanks.

Can you try the link on http://www.chillheimer.de/kallesfraktaler
You may also try Claude's version with gmp, there is also a link on my site

Want to create DEEP Mandelbrot fractals 100 times faster than the commercial programs, for FREE? One hour or one minute? Three months or one day? Try Kalles Fraktaler http://www.chillheimer.de/kallesfraktaler
LionHeart
Explorer

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 10:34:53 PM »

Got it smiley

Many thanks.

Paul the LionHeart
LionHeart
Explorer

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2017, 11:37:20 AM »

Hi Kalles Fraktaler,

I can't find the file "afxres.h" called in line 10 of the fractal_sft.rc in the zip file.

Would you please send it to me.

Thanks  smiley

Paul the LionHeart
Kalles Fraktaler
Fractal Senior

kallesfraktaler
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 02:26:37 PM »

Hi Kalles Fraktaler,

I can't find the file "afxres.h" called in line 10 of the fractal_sft.rc in the zip file.

Would you please send it to me.

Thanks  smiley
Hello
I cannot find such file on my machine.
I think this is something that is generated when compiling.
What compiler do you use?

If you are not using Visual Studio 10 or later, you may try claude's version instead, https://mathr.co.uk/kf/kf.html
There are instructions on that page how to compile with mingw

Thanks

Svarvsven
Forums Freshman

Mandelbrot mostly

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2017, 02:37:37 PM »

I too had problem with compiling the source provided (I was using the fractal_src_2.11.1 that I think is the most recent?)

If you open up the solution file the 2nd project referred is, though not included so I removed it

Code:
Project("{8BC9CEB8-8B4A-11D0-8D11-00A0C91BC942}") = "test1", "..\test1\test1.vcxproj", "{C3F54BBD-0D37-4DF9-99DC-7AC0604C5A5B}"
EndProject

Then when you try build from Visual Studio there are some include references that are wrong

listbox.cpp
Code:
#include "..\..\commongetimage.h"

fraktal_sft.cpp
Code:
#include "..\..\commonparallell.h"
#include "..\..\commonStringVector.h"
#include "..\..\commongetimage.h"

Remove the first "..\" part of all four and the files are found.

Then after that I get stuck on a couple of errors

Code:
Error 146 error LNK1104: cannot open file 'jpeg_static.lib' fraktal_sft
147 IntelliSense: cannot open source file "CDecNumber_old.h" fraktal_sft
149 IntelliSense: cannot open source file "CDecNumber_old.h" fraktal_sft
150 IntelliSense: identifier "CDecNumber" is undefined fraktal_sft
152 IntelliSense: identifier "CDecNumber" is undefined fraktal_sft
151 IntelliSense: identifier "decContext" is undefined fraktal_sft
148 IntelliSense: identifier "DECNUMDIGITS" is undefined fraktal_sft

Maybe I am supposed to compile it from command line and not using the GUI? Or something else is missing that I cant figure out?

I did also get the kf-2.211.1+gmp.20170508.zip that included the source and had similar problems with it. Maybe both of you have the common directory in another location than is presented in the zip files? The kf.exe file included did work, it is a fast drawing fractal program for sure...I guess what would be my main interest (other than just see it compile) is to save the result as PNG rather than JPG and also a simple / quick way to exchange x, y, zoom level, max iterations to / from that program and mine (or others) rather than copy / paste each one of those at a time...

Edit: the backslash wasn't showing
claude
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2017, 04:56:41 PM »

I did also get the kf-2.211.1+gmp.20170508.zip that included the source and had similar problems with it.

That is to be expected - this version uses a Makefile-based build system (with mingw to compile) rather than a VisualStudio project - the old project files are still there but most likely broken by my changes etc, and I don't have a Windows to develop with so that is unlikely to change unless someone contributes the code (I test in WINE on Linux and very occasionally on friends' machines...).

Instructions for compiling this version on Windows with MSYS2 are here: https://mathr.co.uk/kf/kf.html#windows
Svarvsven
Forums Freshman

Mandelbrot mostly

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2017, 11:14:55 AM »

That is to be expected - this version uses a Makefile-based build system (with mingw to compile) rather than a VisualStudio project - the old project files are still there but most likely broken by my changes etc

How about the errors in the cpp files then, or did you place the common directory in another location than included in the zip file? I guess I could install it with mingw but seems to need a bit of more installation to have that, if possible to have the original files compile with just Visual Studio is something I would prefer at first (I do understand that the mingw compile makes it a lot faster, so eventually I would have to go down that path as well probably).
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 11:25:41 AM by Svarvsven » Logged
claude
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2017, 02:47:36 PM »

How about the errors in the cpp files then, or did you place the common directory in another location than included in the zip file? I guess I could install it with mingw but seems to need a bit of more installation to have that, if possible to have the original files compile with just Visual Studio is something I would prefer at first (I do understand that the mingw compile makes it a lot faster, so eventually I would have to go down that path as well probably).

I fixed the paths in one of the earliest commits in my 'claude' branch, along with a lot of C++ const stuff required by a more standards-strict compiler:

https://code.mathr.co.uk/kalles-fraktaler-2/commitdiff/a682fb83d678adc3397e34cfb8582bef015efcd1

(And now I wish I'd fixed the includes alone in a separate commit so I could show you a clean simple changelog...).

The 'claude-gmp' branch in my git repository is the one you really want to get working for the extra speed, but maybe the 'claude' branch is simpler to get started with in VisualStudio, and then when that is working add the extra GMP+Boost deps:
https://code.mathr.co.uk/kalles-fraktaler-2/heads
Svarvsven
Forums Freshman

Mandelbrot mostly

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2017, 03:55:55 PM »

Yes, I see. You did those changes early, that figures.

Well tried both Claude and Master branches with the most recent changes and none worked. Master branch still containing the include path problems I described above, so Claude would be most interesting for me to start looking at. Right now I can't, so I have to return to this and see if I can figure it out.

Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: