Logo by DarkBeam - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit the official fractalforums.com Youtube Channel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 28, 2024, 11:59:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Just can't seem to get started  (Read 4080 times)
Sarcophyton
Forums Freshman

« on: March 18, 2014, 03:57:28 AM »

So, I downloaded Apo 7x 64 from sourceforge. I have found tons of tutorials which seem great, but they all seem to be for a version, different enough to make it not work. Important things... Like the tutorial asks for Linear 3D and all I have is linear. My screen always seems almost completely blank (black.) Even the manual linked to right out of the program is for a different version. I've probably gotten 3/4 of the way through 10 different tutorials before giving up.

Can someone point me do a decent set of tutorials for this 7x version, or alternately suggest which version I would be better switching to?

youhn
Fractal Molossus

Shapes only exists in our heads.

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 02:39:39 PM »

Like the tutorial asks for Linear 3D

Could you point us to that specific tutorial in order to help you?

Did you download Apophysis.7X16.x86_amd64.zip? When I download that file and run the program using the executable Apophysis7X64.exe, it loads a default flame at random. This takes about 10 to 20 seconds. During that time, it displays an hourglass. The menu item "Apophysis Manual" links to http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20949676/ApophysisUserManual/index.html, which indeed seems a little out of date. The old Windows XP style was the first thing I noticed. Some icons also have been changed. But the program in general still feels and works the same. I followed the Editor part and found that the manual is still useable.
Sarcophyton
Forums Freshman

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 06:21:26 PM »

Well, the users manual for one. I was doing fine with Chapter 2, making the Grand Julia, until it asked for a variation of Julia. I don't have that! Can it be added in from somewhere?

I just have Julian, juliascope, Julia3D, Julia3Dz, julian2, and juliaq.

Thanks!
Sarcophyton
Forums Freshman

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 06:48:00 PM »

Actually, I downloaded the aposhack plugins pack which appears to have Julia. But it still doesn't show up in the program. Somewhere I read that the plugins folder is supposed to be called Plugins3D, but mine is just called plugins. If I change it to Plugins3D even fewer of the Julia variations show up...
youhn
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 07:25:00 PM »

I think you put too much focus on the wrong (missing, broken, faulty, etc) things. You named six julia-like things and instead of trying to use those and perhapds find something totaly new and cool .. you complain about the missing lonely one. You are not a computer so read between the lines. You will find that it is more pleasing to follow the global direction (of tutorials, manuals, etc) than the whole thing word-by-word.

To quote the manual itself: "The point is, play with them until you get a feel for how they act in certain situations!"

So if you don't find or understand something, DON'T PANIC!, just walk around it and continue (scroll down, read on, play some more). That way I just losely followed the manual/tutorial to create :

Sarcophyton
Forums Freshman

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 07:37:34 PM »

Yeah, I get that. I don't understand the program well enough for that to be profitable... yet. I tried some of the others and didn't really know what the heck I was doing. Linear3D is missing too and a lot of tutorials call for that. I don't think its too much to want the program set up so it works the same way that it did for the tutorial writer. Particularly since I seem to have them and they just don't work...
youhn
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 08:46:30 PM »

It takes a lot of time. Probably years before anyone fully understand the inner workings. I even dare to say about 99% of the users just "play around" with little variations around a small number of steady workflows they have developed (or copied). To understand how these IFS fractals are made, I recommend the Android app "Fractal Designer". It's simplicity is the strength. You would be amazed of the number of types of shapes you can create with it (using only the linear transform):

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.resonos.apps.fractal.ifs

Julian is just Julia-n. I think the n refers to the power in the formula. If the power is 2, then it probably is the default julia.
Sarcophyton
Forums Freshman

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 09:20:39 PM »

Thanks. I had brightness somehow turned all the way down on the rendering tab, somehow.

I was getting nothing but a black screen before that.  embarrass
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: