Logo by Fiery - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Did you know ? you can use LaTex inside Postings on fractalforums.com!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 28, 2024, 09:36:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Definition of 'Art'  (Read 28506 times)
youhn
Fractal Molossus

Shapes only exists in our heads.

« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2015, 07:47:54 AM »

Thou art trying to make art meaningless.

I see it the other way around. Art makes everything meaningfull.
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2015, 11:33:45 AM »

Thou art not quite so smart as thou thinkst

Thou art trying to make art meaningless.

Thou art?  What kind of art is that?

... when you define "art" a process or part of a process or criteria in a process (as I do), the definition becomes more limited and thus more clear.

^ That.

I believe Art is the Process, not the finished item.  My opinion and I don't expect others to accept it, just as I don't accept what other's believe Art to be.

We all have our own definitions for things like this.  No single one of them is right.

Or wrong.

Provided the definitions are real and believed rather than contrived.

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
Chillheimer
Global Moderator
Fractal Schemer

Just another fractal being floating by..

chilli.chillheimer chillheimer
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2015, 12:30:30 PM »

I believe Art is the Process, not the finished item.  ...

i agree that the process is the most important (p)art

saying fractal art is not art because you use a computer and a formula and in the end it is the computer who draws the image is like saying to paint is not art, because you use a brush and colours on a canvas, and in the end it is the brush that puts the colour on the canvas and makes distinct brush-patterns there.

and the best 'proof' can be found in the mset itself.
because it is every single decicion that you make that forms the elements that appear in the 'final' picture, as i tried to show here:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/JxkNEvcU8cY&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/v/JxkNEvcU8cY&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1</a>

of course you can zoom randomly, just as you could paint abstract and randomly, only driven by intuition or lust, deciding where to go on the base of how your unfinished picture looks at the moment.
but if you zoom totally randomly, let a computer do the decisions, you'll be landing in the black mset or infinity without any picture whatsoever.

a fractal images(or the process leading to it) isn't art per se, but can be if it was created with intention and skill.
else it's just another "my little child could have drawn that"
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 11:50:38 PM by Chillheimer » Logged

--- Fractals - add some Chaos to your life and put the world in order. ---
lkmitch
Fractal Lover

« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2015, 06:08:28 PM »

Sure!

I say Art is a Thing To Do, not a thing unto itself.

It's the process, not the final product.  Nothing you can point to is Art.  It's just, at best, the leftovers from Art.  Art Droppings, I like to call it. 

So if you want an example related to Fractal Art, Art is what happens during the time spent setting up something to render, and what happens during any post-work.  What you get in the end is a picture.  The picture is not the Art.  The Art is the process of making it.

Some people try to do a thing they call Performance Art, but that is just Art in my world.  They just do it for an audience.

I believe anytime somebody calls any thing Art, they are misusing the word.  The phrase "a work of Art" is quite common.  That implies that Art is Work.  Work is definitely a Verb and never confused with a noun!

Frankly, I'm surprised this is not the universal definition of Art, as it would quell thousands of debates over whether or not something is Art.  I see such questions as meaningless misuses of language. 

Here's a motto for us all - Ask not whether a thing is Art, ask instead if you like it!

Well, at least we agree on your last statement.  To my mind, defining "art" as "the process, not the final product" is just shifting the noun (from "product" to "process"--both of which are nouns).  To say that "art" is a verb means that it can be used as that part of speech--instead of, "I created that image," one could say, "I arted that image."  Doesn't make sense to me.

Here is part of the Google definition of art:  "creative activity resulting in the production of paintings, drawings, or sculpture."  This defines art is the activity, which seems to be what you're getting at.  Still, "activity" is a noun--the activity (or the process) is still a thing, albeit not necessarily a tangible thing, like a painting.

Thanks for proferring an interesting concept.
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2015, 11:25:37 PM »

Well, at least we agree on your last statement.  To my mind, defining "art" as "the process, not the final product" is just shifting the noun (from "product" to "process"--both of which are nouns).  To say that "art" is a verb means that it can be used as that part of speech--instead of, "I created that image," one could say, "I arted that image."  Doesn't make sense to me...

Well, I still maintain that there is no Art at all on this site, or any other!

Just what I call "Art Droppings" - Art is an activity - not a thing - which is why I say that Art is a verb.  An irregularly conjugated verb, but a verb nonetheless!

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
Ryche
Explorer

His Royal Pixellency

OnSeedArtistCollective @onseedonline
« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2015, 01:20:48 AM »

Dont think I can define art. As a designer i normally go by "serves a function = design. purely for expression = art."

I follow this philosophy on what to do when im creating art, that i read in an essay by an artist i used to like called Laurent Lemoigne on the old Raster art group - Take something that's impossible and make it look natural. Or take something that is completely ordinary & normal and give it a touch of the unreal. Seems to work great smiley

ThomasPigeon
Forums Newbie

« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2017, 01:21:17 PM »

Art might be everything creative and estethic (it's subjective of course) with a think after it. Fractals needs creativity, you can't just "sit, write some math and then come up with a piece of art.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: