Logo by jwm-art - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Did you know ? you can use LaTex inside Postings on fractalforums.com!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 28, 2024, 11:20:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: next will be Mandelbulber 2.0 with Qt interface  (Read 17937 times)
lukesleftleg
Navigator

« Reply #60 on: June 16, 2014, 08:57:42 PM »

Oh that is really nice.
Quite a few times I've wished I had a target camera to work with.

You're spoiling us, Buddhi.  cheesy
Mihaly
Forums Newbie

Rose Red and Leafy Green - go figure

« Reply #61 on: July 10, 2014, 09:12:27 PM »

Wow! This is great news. I haven't been keeping on the forums much for awhile, but I do use several fractal generating programs and have been using mandelbulber and enjoying it very much - thank you very much - and would be happy to do a little trialling even of beta software, I am familiar with the 1.21 interface using GTK but I run it on a much newer machine (recent purchase a nice core i7 2GHz, 4Gb Ram and Nvidia GT720 graphics card) so I have been really putting it through it's paces (sadly I do still use Windows 8, but I can test the software on an older XP laptop as well as an AMD machine I have on the kitchen table - I know - I have no life!)

But if I may be able to provide some feedback, and try out the software on various systems it could be some small return for the wonderful you and others have done making this great stuff, and it has been simply amazing to go from a pentium M to a full-on core i7 and test graphics cards really putting them to some use (rather than just gaming, though nothing against gaming either).

I don't know how the Qt interface change will affect how it renders the UI under Win 8, but I'd be happy to poke around a bit with testing if it can be of any help.

I'm not really great artistically, I'm usually more interested in exploration of 3D slices of Quaternions, so I usually am interested in developing fly-throughs of interesting features. Also I don't really understand about getting GPU performance settings right, nor what is OpenCL (vs OpenGL?) so I hope to learn something along the way. I do have some background in computing but it has been a long while since I actually wrote any code, and that was mainly for analysis, not graphics as such.

Anyway, I am sure there are probably already heaps of people happy to help, but I will definitely be interested to follow how the project goes!

Once again many thanks for the software, it is greatly appreciated.
 cheesy

Mihaly K.

the things we can't give away
but have no use for
hold every man back
for what they die for
Buddhi
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #62 on: July 31, 2014, 10:02:12 PM »

Development progress update:
- applied all fractal formulas from old Mandelbulber (a lot of work with UI for each formula, especially Mandelbox and IFS)
- implemented hybrid fractals (now each formula has own tab for settings)
- added load/save settings functions (introduced new file structure)
- added save image functions (jpeg - used QImageWriter, png - still used libpng because of 16-bit image formats)
- added progressive rendering (much optimized in compare with old Mandelbulber)
- added error messages
- added loading and previews for textures (background, environment mapping, light map for ambient occlusion)
- project fully migrated to Qt5

lxegs
Forums Newbie

« Reply #63 on: August 03, 2014, 03:20:51 PM »

Hi

I' ve tried this version and it works well (still some bugs but usuable)

I ve also tried to pass some arguments to g++ @ compilation and my conclusions are :

- gcc versions 4.9 makes more optimized code
- compiling using flags like "march=core-avx-i" & "-O3" for i3/i5/i7 2nd/3rd generation make rendering 2 or 3x faster than without !

there is also a flag for 4th generation using AVX2 instructions but I haven't this sort of CPU for testing ...

quaz0r
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #64 on: August 08, 2014, 12:25:54 PM »

i just built from svn to take a look and it looks very nice, its even somewhat functional already. very nice  smiley  A Beer Cup
zebastian
Conqueror

« Reply #65 on: August 10, 2014, 09:28:24 PM »

Hi

I' ve tried this version and it works well (still some bugs but usuable)

I ve also tried to pass some arguments to g++ @ compilation and my conclusions are :

- gcc versions 4.9 makes more optimized code
- compiling using flags like "march=core-avx-i" & "-O3" for i3/i5/i7 2nd/3rd generation make rendering 2 or 3x faster than without !

there is also a flag for 4th generation using AVX2 instructions but I haven't this sort of CPU for testing ...

Hello,

I got best results with this CXXFLAGS:

QMAKE_CXXFLAGS += -march=native -Ofast
#              |            |
#              |            ------ Optimization for fast executing code (includes -O3 and -ffast-math)
#              |
#              -------------------- turns on system-dependent optimization

I am using an Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz.

The default image (Mandelbulb 800 * 600) renders in 3,72
Compared to 4,63s with the current settings. (~20% saving)

Here is more info about optimizing compiler flags in the gcc doc:

https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4.9.1/gcc/Optimize-Options.html#Optimize-Options

That's probably still suboptimal and compiling takes forever (even with make -j).
Buddhi
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #66 on: August 10, 2014, 09:55:33 PM »

About march=core-avx-i and QMAKE_CXXFLAGS += -march=native -Ofast I have to consider that the program has to run on different machines. That's why I not use those flags. If I use -march-native it will be optimized only for my machine, and the program can crash on other CPU. core-avx-i flag makes program running only on newest Intel CPUs (on my computer doesn't run at all). The program will be distributed with standard flags. But source code will be still available if anybody will want to use all CPU features.
By the way, thank you for testing the program, even when is not finished.

P.S. you have very fast machines. On my PC it takes 10s to render default settings (Intel Core 2 Quad 2.2GHz).

quaz0r
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #67 on: August 11, 2014, 11:33:38 AM »

would it make sense to distribute source code with something like march=native since people building from source will be doing it for their own computers and anyone making builds to distribute will know not to use march?  also i wonder if it might be worth making available different windows builds for different cpus if the performance difference is noticeable enough?  another thing i have wondered is if supporting something like intel's math kernel library would make any noticeable performance difference?  the intel math kernel library is supposed to have some specially optimized cvector routines and trig routines and stuff. after a quick search it looks like amd has their own thing called the amd core math library.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 11:44:08 AM by quaz0r » Logged
Buddhi
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #68 on: August 17, 2014, 09:53:02 PM »

I don't like doing anything under Windows, but today I have decided to look how new Mandelbulber works. First I tried to establish QT Creator with Visual Studio C++ 2010 Express, but I was not able to create appropriate libraries for libpng and zlib. I got many strange errors (libraries were successfully compiled, but Qt Creator couldn't link them), and after many hours of fighting I decided to switch to mingw. Then everything went smooth and I got exe file for Mandelbulber v2 without any significant changes in code (only small change in file dialogs, because they made crashes).
Finally I have created package with testing version of the program (without any installer, just zip file). It's here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/mandelbulber/files/mandelbulber%20v2%20-%20alpha%20001.zip/download

By the way, has anybody tried to compile Qt application for win64 target? If yes, what is needed to do this?

lxegs
Forums Newbie

« Reply #69 on: August 17, 2014, 11:04:40 PM »

Hello

I 'm using a 64 bit windows version for weeks without problems (32 bits version is limited to 3 Go of RAM and it crash (seems it doesn't use swap) , only the 64 bits version can make very large size of fractals)

I have downlaoded a precompiled version of QT5 64 bits and recompiled libpng & libz under 64 bits, the whole thing with mingw 64bits.

i m using qtcreator (the "official" version, and add external compiler and the previous downloaded qt path)

links :

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw-w64/
http://www.winkde.org/pub/kde/ports/win32/emerge/  --> the are many ways to compile libpng, i use it becuse i think it's very easy
http://sourceforge.net/projects/qtx64/files/qt-x64/5.3.1/mingw-4.8/seh/ --> for x64, prefer a "seh" version, not sjlj

the only problem that i have, is that i need to declare all the environnement of QT (not compiled in static mode ??) to work each time (bat file), like this :

Code:
cd /d D:\mandelbulber2\mandelbulber2\build-mandelbulber-Desktop_Qt_5_3_1_x64_MinGW_x86_64_4_9_1_posix_seh_rt_v3_rev0-Release\release
set PATH=%PATH%;D:\dev\qt-5.3.1-x64-mingw490r2-seh\bin
mandelbulber2.exe

lukesleftleg
Navigator

« Reply #70 on: August 18, 2014, 01:45:52 PM »

Hi Buddhi, and thanks very much for the alpha.

Unfortunately, I couldn't get it to run (Win 7 64bit). All I got was an error window with the following message:

Quote from: Windows
This application failed to start because it could not find or load the Qt platform plugin "windows".

Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.
lxegs
Forums Newbie

« Reply #71 on: August 18, 2014, 02:55:56 PM »

Hi  lukesleftleg

it seems you have to install QT framework for now :

http://download.qt-project.org/official_releases/qt/5.3/5.3.1/qt-opensource-windows-x86-mingw482_opengl-5.3.1.exe

relaunch mandelbulber.exe and it should work

lukesleftleg
Navigator

« Reply #72 on: August 18, 2014, 08:21:42 PM »

Hi lxegs, and thanks very much for the pointer.

I've downloaded and installed from the link you gave me, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to have made any difference.

It's cool. I can wait for full release. smiley
knighty
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #73 on: August 19, 2014, 10:23:18 PM »

me 2!
lxegs
Forums Newbie

« Reply #74 on: August 20, 2014, 03:43:49 PM »

Hi

Just compiled a static version, just unzip it and launch

you need to have a x64 version of windows, tested on 8.1 only, but should work on 7 & vista too

i have seen it can't load parameters files without crashing ....

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4iVMoUTj0zccFF1ZXhtQXd4VUE/edit?usp=sharing
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: