Logo by Pauldelbrot - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit the official fractalforums.com Youtube Channel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 28, 2024, 04:53:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Finding Adam and Eve in a 3D Fractal, Amazing True Story  (Read 1398 times)
LarryMurk
Forums Newbie

GIMP wizard

« on: February 18, 2014, 08:44:07 PM »

Adam and Eve Fractal

Video on Youtube
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/WZyEeo14MKU&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/WZyEeo14MKU&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1</a>
Story:
I’m Larry Murk, the GIMP wizard and I have a bizarre, amazing true story to tell you about how I discovered Adam and Eve in a 3D fractal.

First I’ll quickly give you a little background info. I graduated Stanford University in 1987 with a computer science degree. In 2000, at age 35, I sustained a spinal cord injury that left me paralyzed. Luckily I’m able to move my arms just enough to operate a computer reasonably well.

It’s now 2014 and I recently started a Youtube channel named the GIMP wizard. I make videos that show me creating amazing pictures step by step so that viewers can learn digital painting techniques and hopefully get inspired to create their own original works just as “The Joy of Painting” show  with legendary Bob Ross inspired me when I was younger. I use a free image editor similar to Photoshop named GIMP to draw my pictures, but I’m very open to any methods available to help create striking pictures.

Here’s where the bizarre story starts.

Just a couple weeks ago, I was browsing through the artwork on deviantART where I post my completed pictures and I was astounded by the awesome 3D fractal images produced using a free program named Mandelbulb 3d. I immediately read every tutorial on it I could find. In Mandelbulb 3d you define a fractal by choosing some formulas and then parameters for each formula. There is a special 3d navigation window that allows you to move around your fractal in 3d space to see if you can find any interesting views.

A couple days ago I was playing around swapping in formulas and changing parameters when I saw something that looked interesting. I zoomed in until I saw what looked like the torso of a woman’s body complete with thighs, pelvis, and breasts. I was astounded by this find, but I was a little bummed that there was no head and arms. I saved the image of the female torso and then figured I might as well play around with some parameters to see if maybe a head or arms might form. I changed one parameter and to my shock the female torso morphed into a male torso complete with a penis and a sculpted, muscular chest. If this all wasn’t amazing enough, I tilted my view up a little more than I had before and what do I spy but a head and arms.

I saved the pictures of the two torsos and the head with arms. Using GIMP, I merged the images together to get a final picture with a male next to a female holding hands.

So you might be asking what’s so amazing about that? You just pieced together a bunch of fractals and manipulated them to look like a male and female.

I’ll tell you what is so incredible.

All the changes to the fractal’s shape were caused by changing one number. I did change the coloring and view. And to create my final image I simply merged the torsos over the head with arms. No crazy manipulating was done. So what do you think, AMAZING find or not so amazing?

I’ll put the details for the 3 fractals under this text on deviantART so anyone who wants can easily recreate the images in Mandelbulb 3d and verify that only one parameter was altered.

If anyone has an amazing image (fractal) of something or someone, please share it with me.

Larry Murk
GIMP wizard
http://LarryMurk.deviantART.com
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: