Logo by fractalwizz - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Did you know ? you can use LaTex inside Postings on fractalforums.com!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 26, 2024, 07:34:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Apophysis  (Read 416 times)
Description: 274 DPI
Daimon
Forums Newbie

« on: February 03, 2014, 11:56:33 PM »

Hi, I'm using Apophysis & would like to have some images printed.  The printing lab asks for 274 DPI.  Can anyone tell me how to render at 274 DPI?  I can't figure that out.  thankx, Daimon~
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 12:11:28 AM »

If you want to print a 1x1 inch picture (e.g. a post-stamp) then you choose 274x274 output resolution simply choose higher resolution for larger output formats, be sure to check if image quality satisfies yourself, b3cause larger resolutions need longer to get a decent quality

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
Daimon
Forums Newbie

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 10:39:56 PM »

Hi cKleinhuis,
Thank you for ur prompt reply.  But I can't find *output resolution* in Apophysis. I understand Quality, Filter Radius & Oversample.  I wish to print larger than 1" x 1".  More like 18" x 24" or larger.  I know it takes longer to render larger sizes. I looked in Apophysis *Render window* & in *Options*, but I couldn't find *output resolution*.  Can you tell me where to find that so I can plug in 274 DPI??  Thankx much. 
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 11:29:58 PM »

Hi cKleinhuis,
Thank you for ur prompt reply.  But I can't find *output resolution* in Apophysis. I understand Quality, Filter Radius & Oversample.  I wish to print larger than 1" x 1".  More like 18" x 24" or larger.  I know it takes longer to render larger sizes. I looked in Apophysis *Render window* & in *Options*, but I couldn't find *output resolution*.  Can you tell me where to find that so I can plug in 274 DPI??  Thankx much.  

I don't think the dpi setting is adjustable in any fractal generator.

That is usually done in an image editor like PhotoStudio, PaintShop, or whatever.  If you don't have an image editor, Infranview or Gimp are both free and professional quality.

Just be sure your image is in a lossless format from the fractal generator  (ie: png, bmp, tiff, etc).  Just NEVER use jpg or jpeg for print purposes!!!  It is a lossy format meant mostly for web use and in printing you may see artifacts which would not be the fault of the printer   afro

Hope that helps.

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
Dinkydau
Fractal Senior

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 01:16:17 AM »

Click on the technical radar wheel and there should be a window called "render flame" where you can make all the settings you need and render the flame. There's also a more efficient program called chaotica that you can use to render flames significantly faster, but it costs money. Large renders in apophysis can take an extremely long time if you want decent quality. Apophysis doesn't benefit from multi-core CPUs in an optimal way and in general it's just not as efficient as it could be.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 01:18:28 AM by Dinkydau » Logged

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 08:39:27 AM »

your resolution with 18x24 inch would then be:

18*274= 4932 pixel
                x
24*274= 6576 pixel

4932x6576 pixels

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
Daimon
Forums Newbie

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, 10:58:19 PM »

Thankx much you guys, you gave me food for thought & to experiment with.  I think cKleinhuis's way is my first approach & then Chaotica.  The render wheel in Apophysis doesn't offer any way to adjust DPI,  Thankx again you have helped me - Daimon~
lycium
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2014, 11:43:03 PM »

Hi, Chaotica also doesn't have an entry box for DPI or anything (I'm the author). What it will do is render much higher quality images, faster than other programs.

The point being made in this thread is that you don't need a little number box for the DPI, you just have to multiply the DPI ("dots" per inch) with the number of inches you want, to get the number of "dots" (pixels) in that dimension.

So if you want (hypothetically) a 100 DPI image at 13 by 14 inches, that works out to 1300 x 1400 resolution - you just have to do a single multiplication, it's not a feature that software is missing or anything, Photoshop and so on simply give you a little number entry box for it so you don't have to open your calculator. However, having such a DPI field invites people to make mistakes when editing images, like simply changing that number and thinking the image is now somehow more detailed (it just upsamples your image into a blurrier one, so you have more "dots" full of blur, not details).
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 11:48:50 PM by lycium » Logged

thargor6
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2014, 11:57:48 PM »

You could also try JWildfire, it is completely free and runs on any plattform, probably we also would accept a feature request regarding a DPI-box cheesy
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2014, 12:35:35 AM »

Pixels, dpi, and ppi tend to confuse a lot of people.

Here's one of the many, many explanations out there - but one I thought touched on most of the bits which get confused the most often : http://www.rideau-info.com/photos/mythdpi.html

Hope it helps.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
lycium
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2014, 01:55:04 AM »

It's a little like how having more Slices Per Pizza (SPP) doesn't increase your overall amount of pizza  afro

Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2014, 03:00:17 AM »

It's a little like how having more Slices Per Pizza (SPP) doesn't increase your overall amount of pizza  afro

rolling on floor laughing

And if you have more people to feed, more slices helps!   clown

One of my favorite fractal generators (which shall remain nameless) actually only puts out compressed jpg at 72 dpi, or a (lossless) bmp, but at ONE dpi!

Image quality is fine, but it's tough to make anything for print using it   sad

lycium
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2014, 03:05:11 AM »

... and the more you try to convert the Slices Per Pizza, the more actual pizza you lose in the process  grin

Daimon
Forums Newbie

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2014, 06:30:12 PM »

Hey, thankx guys, you've been great in helping me out.  I'm new here & your response has been quick & very helpful.  I now understand the math to use to get the DPI needed.   I have a question for Lycieum:   How do I get an unrendered Flame from Apophysis to Chaotica?  Do I move it with its parameters to Chaotica & render it there?  Thankx again - Daimon~
lycium
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2014, 01:44:51 AM »

Hi Daimon,

There are two ways to get Apo params into Chaotica; easiest is probably via the clipboard (i.e. just press Ctrl+C in Apo, then Ctrl+V in Chaotica), but you can also simply save a .flame file and load it in Chaotica via the file menu. For more info about using Apo params please check this page: http://www.chaoticafractals.com/manual/getting_started/apophysis_import There's also a section on plugin DLLs if you are using those with Apo: http://www.chaoticafractals.com/manual/getting_started/apophysis_plugins

Finally, I highly recommend the Aposhack chat channel on deviantArt, it's always really friendly and helpful: http://chat.deviantart.com/chat/Aposhack

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: