Logo by mclarekin - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit us on facebook

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 19, 2024, 10:14:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Rotation  (Read 3464 times)
metalion
Forums Freshman

« on: January 29, 2014, 05:05:03 AM »

trying to understand how to rotate an object, i dont want to fly around it I want it to spin.
kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 05:38:06 PM »

basically in the same way as you rotate your camera. However, if you rotate the camera one way, that's equivalent to rotating your object the other way.
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 06:17:45 PM »

basically in the same way as you rotate your camera. However, if you rotate the camera one way, that's equivalent to rotating your object the other way.
trying to understand how to rotate an object, i dont want to fly around it I want it to spin.

Or you could use the _Rotate thingy under one of the "Ads" drop down menus.  That will rotate the object without effecting the backdrop or any positional lights    educated

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
metalion
Forums Freshman

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 09:57:11 PM »

I tried the _rotate formula, and every other rotate but they all morphed my object.
kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 09:59:28 PM »

Oh, I didn't realize that this was program specific.
I meant you'd do the very same transformations mathematically to the object that you would do to the camera to rotate the view angle, except you'd change the sign of the rotation.
metalion
Forums Freshman

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 02:35:02 AM »

I did find a way, I didn't notice there's a rotation tab in the main window, I reset the coordinates the added increments of 60 to either x,y, or z then applied the results to a key frame , and so on, for some reason the values change in the boxes as I do this so I have to remember what value I was at and reset and enter the value as I was doing. the resulting animation is a 360 degree rotation. If anyone know better ways let me know. Im sure there are many.
JodyVL
Safarist

Everybody's a fool but whose fool are you?

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2015, 06:06:08 PM »

I did find a way, I didn't notice there's a rotation tab in the main window, I reset the coordinates the added increments of 60 to either x,y, or z then applied the results to a key frame , and so on, for some reason the values change in the boxes as I do this so I have to remember what value I was at and reset and enter the value as I was doing. the resulting animation is a 360 degree rotation. If anyone know better ways let me know. Im sure there are many.

Hi Metalion (and everyone) ... So I'm trying to do the same thing as you... Rotate something 360 degrees, and I used the Rotation tab in the main window to get this result:

http://imgur.com/ctAQZl7

But as you can see, upon reaching the end, it doesn't continue rotating round smoothly, but "jumps" .. Try as I might, I can't seem to get the last frame the same as the first frame, to make it look like a smooth rotation. Help, please  Azn
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 06:17:44 PM by JodyVL » Logged

My Fractals and Fractal Art for Beginners blog! : http://mandelubber.blogspot.com/
Soltec
Forums Newbie

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 07:02:46 PM »

I'm dealing with the same jumpiness issue. Is it better to do the rotation post production? It appears the 3D Rotation in MD3D is flawed. I'm currently on v1.9
JodyVL
Safarist

Everybody's a fool but whose fool are you?

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2016, 07:36:04 PM »

I'm dealing with the same jumpiness issue. Is it better to do the rotation post production? It appears the 3D Rotation in MD3D is flawed. I'm currently on v1.9

Hi Soltec... I figured this out... In the animation window, under "Subframe interpolation", the default is "quadratic bezier" (which is what you would usually want to get the smooth camera movement from one point to another) but for rotation of the whole fractal, use "linear" wink

My Fractals and Fractal Art for Beginners blog! : http://mandelubber.blogspot.com/
Soltec
Forums Newbie

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2016, 04:54:23 PM »

Thank you @JodyVL - great info. That makes perfect sense, and I agree.

But in my latest tests, it appears that the streaming performance of the codec (HAP is really great for large files) is a big factor as well. At least for the purposes of confirming whether the jumpiness was a result of the render.
agirl_yo
Forums Newbie

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2017, 05:08:47 PM »

Hello, I'm dumb

Can someone please explain how to do this exact rotation, by using rotation tab? Or is there tutorial anywhere?

thanks
1Bryan1
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2017, 12:06:41 AM »

Put _Transform as the first formula (you can add it to your current one at the end then use the red arrow in the formula dialog to move it to the first slot).
Then on the second formula - set 'repeat from here'.
In the Navigation window - you can use the 'Formula values" drop down panel to do rotation / move / sizing without the object morphing.

Note: you could also use _Rotate instead of _Transform.

Find 340+ more of my fractal art at http://1bryan1.deviantart.com/gallery/
agirl_yo
Forums Newbie

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2017, 09:52:56 PM »

thanks a lot smiley

also, what this "repeat from here" exactly does? Not in this example, but generally?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: