Logo by Fiery - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Support us via Flattr FLATTR Link

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 18, 2024, 02:56:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Where's a good place to upload free software you've written?  (Read 1869 times)
frostfern
Forums Newbie

« on: January 28, 2014, 01:59:20 AM »

Just for fun I've written my own Mandelbrot/Julia set explorer in Java.    I've added a variety of features so far, both for making nice images and for exploring the mathematics.   It has a two main panels so you can view both Mandelbrot and Julia sets simultaneously and explore the relationship between the two.  So far I've implemented 5 main coloring method types, 4 gradient types, and 15 different preset schemes.  There's several anti-alias modes to make the fractals look nice and pretty (with longer computation time).  You can also render to an external PNG file of any size and aspect ratio.  I've also added the ability view / step through a sample orbit for any pixel on any Julia set and continuously "morph" the Julia set view as you move the mouse pointer around within the Mandelbrot set view.

I'm trying to keep the program small and manageable, more of an educational tool than anything.  So far the source code is 600 kb and the JAR file is 500 kb.  I'd love to share and get some constructive feedback and ideas from others interested in fractals. 

Regards,

Marshall
Roquen
Iterator

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 09:04:04 PM »

You could do github or sourceforge

All code submitted by me is in the public domain. (http://unlicense.org/)
kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 09:23:56 PM »

the current trend seems to go towards github as the default for this kind of stuff.
I'm not sure precisely why, but sourceforge is falling out of favor. Though I think it's because of more attractive features behind github.
panzerboy
Fractal Lover

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 09:52:43 PM »

I was going to make an uninformed comment about how Git was better at open-source fork/merge operations then found this...
http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/336/forking-and-merging-over-at-sourceforge

The GIMP team stopped using sourceforge because they didn't like the misleading advertising that showed on sourceforge.
For me, I see these 'DOWNLOAD NOW' iLvid badvertisements over lots of the sites I visit.
Learning to ignore the clickbait is just part of using the internet so I don't have an issue with sourceforge.
kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 10:00:07 PM »

Those ads really aren't so much clickbait as they are eyesore. And in some instances, though that seems to have become rare again, also ear-sore.
JohnVV
Conqueror

having fun

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 10:19:54 PM »

look at using Git

it was not so much the advertising
but a big issue with a MS Windows "installer" being used that ALSO installed unknown and unwanted third party CRAPWARE
with the program from sourceforge

over the last 13 years i have watched SF go from small to big
to flushing it's self down the toilet .

i started using SF back in 2001
now , not so much -- it is dieing the death of a thousand cuts

Running OpenSUSE 42.1-64bit & ScientificLinux-6.7-64bit
I don't pitch Linux to my friends,I let Microsoft do it for me!"
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: