Logo by AGUS - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit us on facebook

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 25, 2024, 12:20:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Best video-compression for 2d-mandelbrot zooms?  (Read 357 times)
Chillheimer
Global Moderator
Fractal Schemer

Just another fractal being floating by..

chilli.chillheimer chillheimer
« on: December 23, 2013, 11:59:14 PM »

Hi!

So, I've finished a 12 minute movie in full hd with colour-cycling in kalles fraktaler.
the result is 60 gb in 40 avis. It plays well and looks great. smiley
But: What compression is best for this stuff?
I'd love to keep a balance between quality and size. <1gb would be nice..
I use virtual dub and have tried h264 but for some unknown reason the generated files wont play with my standard vlc-player, just in media player classic (and there they tend to become very slow when there's lots of detail. no comparison to the original..)
does anyone have tips or tricks for me?

regards,
chilli

--- Fractals - add some Chaos to your life and put the world in order. ---
David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 12:39:34 AM »

Xvid codec - try progressively higher compression until you find the best compression vs. loss of quality.

The meaning and purpose of life is to give life purpose and meaning.

http://www.fractalgallery.co.uk/
"Makin' Magic Music" on Jango
Chillheimer
Global Moderator
Fractal Schemer

Just another fractal being floating by..

chilli.chillheimer chillheimer
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 12:25:23 PM »

Xvid codec - try progressively higher compression until you find the best compression vs. loss of quality.

Great, thank you David!
The first tests look very promising.. smiley

--- Fractals - add some Chaos to your life and put the world in order. ---
panzerboy
Fractal Lover

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2013, 06:09:20 AM »

I use virtualdub and x264 codec and the videos play in VLC just fine, better than Media player.
Media player stutters a LOT with 10000kpbs x264, VLC rarely.
x264 is an implementation using 'public domain' sources, so no licensing issues.

Sometimes XVID just wont give a goodresult even with ridiculously high bitrates,
Using x264 I was able to get a decent encode of this ...
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DAyOAzWGHH8&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/DAyOAzWGHH8&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1</a>
IIRC at 30,000kpbs XVID just wasn't coping well, and it was stuttering in Media player.

I've been able to play my x264 videos on my dad's 60 inch plasma direct from a USB stick drive.
Doing the same with XVID has has varying success, possibly because h.263 isnt defined for HD resolutions?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: