Logo by mauxuam - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit the official fractalforums.com Youtube Channel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 29, 2024, 02:56:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Newbie question about Julia  (Read 2913 times)
rurik2000
Forums Freshman

« on: December 14, 2013, 04:30:59 AM »

Hello

I'm trying to understand what exactly Julia does when you enable it?  It seems like it somehow contains the fractal more?
I noticed when I turn it on and zoom closer to a Fractal I tend to "cut" through it instead of being able to go inside of it...

Thanks for any tips and apologies if that has been covered elsewhere

Alex
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 01:35:36 PM »

so, i hope i finish my mandelbrot four part youtube show early in the next year,
for now let me put in in these words:

the julia method is historically older than the mandelbrot method, it puzzled gaston maurice julia when his julia sets where connected or not, by connected is meant that the black areas are forming one large structure rather than disconnected islands

one seed is used to describe a julia set

what mandelbrot then did was to paint a map of all julias that where connected, it was enought to just check the zero location of the complex
plane if it does not diverge, the resulting set was then called the mandelbrot set

so, the mandelbrot set uses the zero coordinate as starting point, and the location in the complex plane as constant addition in the loop
and the julia method uses a coordinate of the complex plane to initialise the iteration and adds another location as constant in the addition

i have beautiful renderings that make clear what is meant by that, for now you can remember that the julia method practically
just switches the initial conditions for the iteration loop

cheesy

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
rurik2000
Forums Freshman

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 04:55:57 PM »

Thanks for your answer!

So the Julia method is not related to my camera "cutting" through" the fractal?  Maybe it is my near clipping plane that is causing that?

Thanks again, look forward to your tutorials!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: