Logo by lycium - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Check out the originating "3d Mandelbulb" thread here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 19, 2024, 06:14:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Looking for information  (Read 586 times)
Description: Question
Bryan
Forums Newbie

« on: October 14, 2013, 11:21:08 PM »

Relatively new to the idea of fractals. My knowledge is more philosophical than mathematical. I watched a program on PBS about how they used fractal math to describe the growth of forests and was hooked. However my search for information mostly results in 3D generators and sites selling the product of said generators. I'm looking for information regarding on how fractals underpin existence in the same way you can find the fibonacci sequence in plants and animals. I realize this is kind of vague but..ironically...the questions will get better with more information. Any help is welcome.
Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

nahee_enterprises Nahee.Enterprises NaheeEnterprise
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 11:34:17 PM »

Relatively new to the idea of fractals.   My knowledge is more philosophical than mathematical.   I watched a
    program on PBS about how they used fractal math to describe the growth of forests and was hooked.   However
    my search for information mostly results in 3D generators and sites selling the product of said generators.   I'm
    looking for information regarding on how fractals underpin existence in the same way you can find the fibonacci
    sequence in plants and animals.   I realize this is kind of vague but.. ironically... the questions will get better
    with more information. Any help is welcome.

Well, first off, there are well over 600 fractal rendering applications available, and most of them are FREE for downloading and using.   Only a small number of them are capable of _real_ 3-D images, since those programs will have the ability to export to one of the common 3-D file formats.   All of the others are just 2-D rendering applications.

But if you wish to discuss fractals and how they "underpin existence", then that sounds more like a philosophical discussion, and should be held in the appropriate Board within this forum.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 12:00:44 PM by Nahee_Enterprises » Logged

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 11:38:54 PM »

the book "chaos" by James Gleick is just an awesome introduction
30 years old, but very good written
http://www.amazon.de/Chaos-Making-Science-James-Gleick/dp/0143113453

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
hobold
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 01:22:51 AM »

There is also Benoit Mandelbrot's original "The Fractal Geometry of Nature". Not "original" in the sense that this wasn't his first publication of the subject, but straight from the source. It's a math book, but he keeps mentioning the various natural phenomena on which he bases a variety of mathematical constructions, all of which result in fractal objects. Very broad scope, with a much larger gamut of algorithms than what is usually being implemented in the available fractal software.

(Quite a few of his proposed algorithms are not very practical, admittedly, but he still had prototypes for many of them and could present striking example pictures.)
stereoman
Fractal Lover

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 03:33:54 PM »

I'm looking for information regarding on how fractals underpin existence .

Follow the spiral stair
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 09:15:45 PM by Nahee_Enterprises » Logged
Bryan
Forums Newbie

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 12:54:55 PM »

re cKleinhuis:
Thanks for the tip. Have not looked at the book yet but because you mention that its 30 years old its probably easier to read. I looked a some current stuff and its mixed with quantum theory which is a bit over 'me wee noggin' at this point.
chaos_crystal
Safarist

I Have No Limits.

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 06:52:52 PM »

grin So glad Mr. Lee is still on board here... Keep that reference list updated, I still like to poke around in there!

Bryan, welcome... Azn I am one of those who also has a spot of trouble with "me wee noggin" comprehending anything to do with the higher math... I leave that to you smarter folk! Girls aren't usually gifted with math skills anyway... But as long as a fractal piece, be it 3D or 2D or what have you, looks beautiful and makes me smile and say "That is Art!" it's all good...

I have watched the PBS program about fractals too, it was mesmerizing and now I'm ready to watch more!!

I conceived and developed a new geometry of nature and implemented its use in a number of diverse fields. It describes many of the irregular and fragmented patterns around us, and leads to full-fledged theories, by identifying a family of shapes I call fractals.

— Benoit Mandelbrot
Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

nahee_enterprises Nahee.Enterprises NaheeEnterprise
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2013, 04:25:08 AM »

grin   So glad Mr. Lee is still on board here...   Keep that reference list updated, I still like to poke around in there!

Thank you, "Wild Wandering Girl"!!!  cheesy   And yes, I do keep the list updated.   The only problem is, with that many which are available, I tend to only list the ones which have been used the most by people.   It is all based upon the "Fractal Census", which has thousands of fractal Users within it.   Everybody in the database has entries as to what they have tried and used, along with what they use the most.   From that I extract various statistics, one of which produces my web page of fractal related software.

Bryan, welcome... Azn   I am one of those who also has a spot of trouble with "me wee noggin" comprehending
    anything to do with the higher math...   I leave that to you smarter folk!   Girls aren't usually gifted with math
    skills anyway...   But as long as a fractal piece, be it 3D or 2D or what have you, looks beautiful and makes me
    smile and say "That is Art!"  it's all good...
    I have watched the PBS program about fractals too, it was mesmerizing and now I'm ready to watch more!!

I am always wondering as to what "PBS program" that an individual has watched.   Because there have been a few which have to do with fractals:
  • ¡COLORES!
  • NOVA | Hunting the Hidden Dimension
  • Fractals: The Colors of Infinity
  • etc...
I have purchased four different ones so far (my way of donating to the local Public Broadcasting Service).   Just wish they showed more of the ones which are available, and show them more often.    cheesy

Chillheimer
Global Moderator
Fractal Schemer

Just another fractal being floating by..

chilli.chillheimer chillheimer
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2013, 11:43:01 AM »

Hi Brian!

I'm on the same search and have spent quite some time gathering more information and trying to figure at least some philosophical stuff out myself..
I'm not a math-head either, my brain doesn't seem to work in that way wink
so I approach fractals from a different point of view than many.
for a start have a look at http://www.fractalforums.com/index.php?topic=17198.0 -  and also the whole section that this thread is in.

and please share your own insights!

regards,
Chilli

--- Fractals - add some Chaos to your life and put the world in order. ---
chaos_crystal
Safarist

I Have No Limits.

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2013, 06:47:28 PM »

ZowZah Oh My GAWD  embarrass

I agree, such incredible stuff everywhere and yet so few people care... I am an artist and yet, up until maybe 2 years ago I knew nothing of fractals but then got interested in maybe creating a few humble images of my own with the software. Of course now I'm addicted and I can see how Pinterest could become an obsession... No I won't use it, don't have the time, wish I had 48 hours in the day where I could have time. Your page is lovely, Chilli!! Had to try out the branching tree maker, heehee... At one time I had one of those color tree makers, I think it worked with Java...haven't had Java up and running for a while, though...

Damn but fractal making, and admiring, is addictive...!

I conceived and developed a new geometry of nature and implemented its use in a number of diverse fields. It describes many of the irregular and fragmented patterns around us, and leads to full-fledged theories, by identifying a family of shapes I call fractals.

— Benoit Mandelbrot
chaos_crystal
Safarist

I Have No Limits.

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2013, 06:53:14 PM »

Mr. Lee sez:
I am always wondering as to what "PBS program" that an individual has watched.   Because there have been a few which have to do with fractals

I have seen NOVA: Hunting the Hidden Dimension, but if there are more programs out there available, I shall certainly add them to my growing list of "free tv" programs to view. Lots of vids on Youtube can be seen as well wink Talk about addictive!  tease

— Benoit Mandelbrot
hsmyers
Navigator

Making Mandelbrots from Newtons for years

hugh.myers.75 hughsmyers
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2013, 07:47:32 PM »

A book note.  Please Read

• Fractals for the Classroom, Pietgen, Jurgens and Saupe. Springer-Verlag 1992 Vol 1: Introduction to Fractals and Chaos
  • Fractals for the Classroom, Pietgen, Jurgens and Saupe. Springer-Verlag 1992 Vol 2: Complex Systems and Mandelbrot Set

Both volumes come with workbooks. This is about the best introduction to fractals that I know of. The authors rank just below Mandelbrot himself in terms of knowledge (Disclaimer: I had both Pietgen and Saupe in a grad class at USCS so I admit to some bias smiley )

--hsm

Without tradition, art is a flock of sheep without a shepherd. Without innovation, it is a corpse. --- W. Churchill
hsmyers
Navigator

Making Mandelbrots from Newtons for years

hugh.myers.75 hughsmyers
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2013, 08:56:16 PM »

And a class note:  Order in the court !!  complexityexplorer.org offers good courses online. Next one is ' Introduction to Dynamical Systems and Chaos.' Starts in January

--hsm

Without tradition, art is a flock of sheep without a shepherd. Without innovation, it is a corpse. --- W. Churchill
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: