Logo by CorneliaYoder - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Check out the originating "3d Mandelbulb" thread here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 27, 2024, 07:16:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Disallow all "active content" now!  (Read 1467 times)
matsoljare
Fractal Lover

« on: October 04, 2013, 08:54:06 PM »

The current thread named "Ancient Temple" is not just unviewable, it caused my entire system to crash numerous times, it wasn't easy to even know what thread caused it. There is NO REASON WHATSOEVER to allow this so called "active content" to be posted IN THREADS the way they are now, when you can just as well post a link to the material for those who want to see it. The threads themselves should contain text and pictures, only!

I would have replied in the actual thread, but it's not even possible because even the reply page contains the faulty "app" as well! There's one more recent thread that contains some weird non-Youtube player that freezes up a lot of systems as well.
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 09:02:16 PM »

i see, that thing needs some activation! will disable it for now!

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

nahee_enterprises Nahee.Enterprises NaheeEnterprise
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 09:10:19 PM »

The current thread named "Ancient Temple" is not just unviewable, it caused my entire system to crash numerous times,
    it wasn't easy to even know what thread caused it.   There is NO REASON WHATSOEVER to allow this so called "active content" to
    be posted IN THREADS the way they are now, when you can just as well post a link to the material for those who want to see it.
    The threads themselves should contain text and pictures, only!
    I would have replied in the actual thread, but it's not even possible because even the reply page contains the faulty "app" as well!
    There's one more recent thread that contains some weird non-Youtube player that freezes up a lot of systems as well.

I agree that it will cause problems for some systems, especially older ones that are unable to handle more current and up-to-date software.   In fact, every time that I go to a Topic which has a ShaderToy link to that particular video, my browser "hangs" for a brief amount of time until (I presume) whatever scripting and code is downloaded.  But so far, have not hit anything that causes a "crash", thank goodness!!!

But at what point does this forum need to shy away from new and trendy functionality, so that those with systems unable to cope with such things may work correctly??   Where is the line to be drawn??

I am sure that somewhere there are people still running very old machines with Windows-98, old graphic cards, and browsers that have not been updated since Netscape Navigator was popular.   Granted that may be on the extreme side of things, but you probably get what I am referring to.   What systems and software are the turning-point that this forum should try to cater to??   And when could they be allowed to move to the next more current level, such as "active content"??

« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 10:05:02 PM by Nahee_Enterprises » Logged

matsoljare
Fractal Lover

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 09:12:54 PM »

Just disallow all embedding of Flash, Shockwave, Java or whatever it is. It's a huge security risk too. There's really no reason to allow them other than the standard Youtube etc. links.
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 09:52:13 PM »

especially the shadertoy is not a big company, it is just run by a decent guy (inigo quilez) and it is not optimized for usability, on the homepage
all the shaders load and run actively - at least for rendering the first frame - which is even on a faster computer quite a blast, and thus the embeding
code they provide is in autorun mode as well, a simple PLAY button to initialise the whole thing would be nice

nevertheless, i disabled it, embeding of youtube/other video sites stays intact, occasional flash as well, and java is not supported right now...
  evil

---

matsoljare
Fractal Lover

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 09:57:11 PM »

What exactly is "occasional" Flash?
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 10:07:51 PM »

it is generally allowed, but no one (except of me, 3 times i think ) uses it wink

---

Kali
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2013, 03:10:17 AM »

@matsoljare: Ok, sorry, I didn't mean to upset you, I knew it didn't work well in Firefox because I saw some artifacts in the rendering, but I didn't know it will crash any system.
I thought it was cool to have a shader running inside the thread, but I shouldn't post embedded webgl because the technology is new and sometimes buggy, and requires certain hardware to work properly.

My fault. I'll post just the links.

Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

nahee_enterprises Nahee.Enterprises NaheeEnterprise
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2013, 04:17:38 AM »

@matsoljare: Ok, sorry, I didn't mean to upset you, I knew it didn't work well in Firefox because I saw some
    artifacts in the rendering, but I didn't know it will crash any system.   I thought it was cool to have a shader
    running inside the thread, but I shouldn't post embedded webgl because the technology is new and sometimes
    buggy, and requires certain hardware to work properly.        My fault.  I'll post just the links.

I do not think it is really that much of a problem with Firefox, since I have tried it under three different versions of Firefox.  It may take a short bit of time before it starts functioning, but it does work eventually.   I believe it has more to do with the hardware, and/or some other software on the machine.   That is what is probably crashing the computer.

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2013, 12:14:09 PM »

@kali, it was not your fault, i implemented an automatic embedder for shadertoy links, and webgl works in a way that if implemented in a browser, like all current browser now have, it attempts to emulate it in software, which basically is taking up so much cpu time that no time is left over for other things, this could be solved on the software side, but it would need some work by iq, it would be nice having an automatically created thumbnail while editing a shader, this thumbnail should be used to tease a shadertoy, with a big play button or something, the actual compilation of the shader should then just be done when clicking on that, you can see what i mean when you load directly the homepage of
http://shadertoy.com it takes very long to initialise all those shaders... chrome browser deals a little better with it, but it is a general problem

---

eiffie
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2013, 05:31:07 PM »

I had always wanted to ask for a separate WebGL topic but matsoljare is right you still wouldn't always know where a link is leading and folks would unknowingly run into it. If we post links to WebGL content we should specify it, at least until it becomes a standard. (...and reiterating the embedding was automatic so don't blame the posters.)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: