Logo by bib - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit us on facebook

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 25, 2024, 04:13:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Introducing Frax!  (Read 3501 times)
subblue
Conqueror

« on: October 02, 2013, 02:43:25 PM »

I've been a bit quiet around here recently, but for good reason! I've been hard at work on a new app with two other guys some long-time fractal explorers might have heard of, Kai Krause and Ben Weiss (from MetaCreations who created the KPT series of Photoshop plugins, Bryce, Painter, Poser, Soap, Goo among others).

We've finally launched our new realtime interactive fractal app for iPhone and iPad.
Here's a little promo video:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/0QsNk6HVt5k&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/0QsNk6HVt5k&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1</a>

There's loads more info on our website (make sure you check out the Showcase section!)
www.fract.al

...and before anyone asks the obvious question - we would love to be able to support Android eventually.
Hopefully the iOS version will do well enough to make that happen smiley
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 02:23:56 PM by Nahee_Enterprises » Logged

www.subblue.com - a blog exploring mathematical and generative graphics
Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

nahee_enterprises Nahee.Enterprises NaheeEnterprise
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 03:00:18 PM »

I've been a bit quiet around here recently, but for good reason!   I've been hard at work on a new app with two
    other guys some long-time fractal explorers might have heard of, Kai Krause and Ben Weiss (from
    MetaCreations who created the KPT series of Photoshop plugins, Bryce, Painter, Poser, Soap, Goo among others).
    We've finally launched our new realtime interactive fractal app for iPhone and iPad.
    Here's a little promo video:    youtube.com/watch?v=0QsNk6HVt5k
    There's loads more info on our website (make sure you check out the Showcase section!)
            www.fract.al
    ...and before anyone asks the obvious question - we would love to be able to support Android eventually.
    Hopefully the iOS version will do well enough to make that happen  smiley

Well, this will be something else I will not be able to make use of, seeing how I do not have any "i" device for it to run on.     sad

I noticed that some of the more 3-D looking fractal images appear as if they were rendered with Duncan Champney's application:  FractalWorks

« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 07:54:54 PM by Nahee_Enterprises » Logged

thargor6
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 02:59:13 AM »

Nice work, I will definitively give it a try! :-)
panzerboy
Fractal Lover

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 05:27:05 AM »

"more than a trillion-to-one depth range of depth range of the classic Mandelbrot set"

I guessing the depth of zoom is dependent on the floating point precision of the GPU's native types?
ie No attempt is made for deep +256 bit precision zooms or arbitrary precision, the focus is on real-time, immediate feedback.
aleph0
Alien

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 10:36:16 AM »

Zoom restriction is a result of use of double precision float, so looks like it's not a GPU restriction in this case:

http://www.fract.al/help#faq_zoom
http://www.fract.al/help/more#q_limit

Impressive images in the gallery. Some effects I've not seen before.
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 10:50:15 AM »

this looks like a neat app, nice hearing that those "dinosaurs" are still productive!

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
lycium
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 03:54:22 PM »

lol @ "dinosaurs", harsh one!

as i mentioned on twitter, great work subblue & co. smiley i'd check it out but i don't know anyone who has an iThingy...

Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 05:25:03 PM »

this looks like a neat app, nice hearing that those "dinosaurs" are still productive!

Not a very nice thing to say about those that are more closely related to "masters", even though they may be older than you!!!   They have a lot of practical experience, and have made a lot of money with their ideas and abilities.

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2013, 07:54:13 PM »

right when one thinks a dinosaur needs to be non existant, i had not heard from them a long time, since they made their experiences in the nineties,

it was in no way meant to harm anyone ... sad

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
thargor6
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2013, 08:37:22 PM »

Just tested it out! This app is really awesome, unfortunately I currently have not much time to play around with such stuff.
The generated images are of excellent quality and the exploring in realtime works like a charm. Whoever has little interest in fractals and has an "IThingy" should give it a try
hsmyers
Navigator

Making Mandelbrots from Newtons for years

hugh.myers.75 hughsmyers
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2013, 04:24:20 AM »

What do you mean nineties? Try eighties  hurt A Beer Cup

--ham

Without tradition, art is a flock of sheep without a shepherd. Without innovation, it is a corpse. --- W. Churchill
Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2013, 07:09:57 AM »

What do you mean nineties?  Try eighties  hurt A Beer Cup

You have to forgive Christian Kleinhuis (Trifox), he is one of the young people.  After all, he was only born sometime around 1977, which is 20 years after Kai Krause's birth, and after Kai had already moved to California from Germany.

The company which Kai co-founded, HSC Software (later called MetaCreations Corp.), released the first version of Kai's Power Tools (KPT) in 1992.

hsmyers
Navigator

Making Mandelbrots from Newtons for years

hugh.myers.75 hughsmyers
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2013, 02:34:41 PM »

Of course forgiveness is unnecessary  wink Afterall the fractal bandwagon is infinitely large, the more folks who jump on the merrier  A Beer Cup  A Beer Cup

--hsm
p.s. I wonder if the '--ham' typo was freudian?

Without tradition, art is a flock of sheep without a shepherd. Without innovation, it is a corpse. --- W. Churchill
LMarkoya
Strange Attractor

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2013, 07:46:55 PM »

OK....just learned of FRAX yesterday...and have DL'd it and played just a little....I have to say it is really amazing.....beautiful things come effortlessly....anyone can create georgeous things without committing a lifetime to try parameters....
I love the approach, which allows artists to go back to creating, instead of spending thousands of man hours to try and understand something more complex than they really need to know
Hats of to the new Power Tool team
I can hardly wait for the 3d version.....

Its great to have these creative genius's back in the game
 Repeating Zooming Self-Silimilar Thumb Up, by Craig
Stonevoice
Forums Freshman

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2013, 09:19:45 AM »

Seems I'm late to the party, but oh well, here goes:
Just wanted to give everyone a heads up about a new a newer fractal app for Iphone and Ipad.
It is called FRAX, and was made by three developers, Ben Weiss , Kai Krause  and Tom Beddard.
You might know Tom Beddard from his subblue blog, where he writes about generative art, including fractals.
Here is the link for frax :   http://fract.al/

and here is the link for subblue, which has some great fractals and fractal animations that will blow you away!

subblue     http://www.subblue.com/

« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 10:35:37 AM by Stonevoice, Reason: I didn\'t get the email about frax until tonight. » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: