Logo by Maya - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Did you know ? you can use LaTex inside Postings on fractalforums.com!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 19, 2024, 11:02:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Anyone Know What Happened To Chaoscope?  (Read 8578 times)
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2013, 12:08:24 AM »

It's a plain Quaternion Julia, power 2, with only the first two parameters non-zero, so it is approximately possible in XD, Incendia and others. However, Chaoscope does the Julia differently, with depth limiting, which you have set to 8, which is why it's smooth and rounded. Incendia and XD don't do that so they could only give a more detailed object. It should be possible to get that by using one of the raymarching programs with depth limiting, and voxel stacks for export.

Thanks!  I knew there was something different about the way Chaoscope was rendering Julias because I could never reproduce that  (or even get a good approximation in other software.  I actually never heard it called "Depth Limiting" before and that may have been causing me to miss some options - I'll have to re-check and try again.

And I only mentioned Incendia because of my budget  sad  It's free version makes better obj files than the free version of Xenodream  (which I still can't fit into the overly tight budget around here).  But if you can approximate that in Xenodream, feel free to post the xep file and I'll be sure to post something made from it using those fancy 3D programs I love so much   afro

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
xenodreambuie
Conqueror

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2013, 04:14:45 AM »

Thanks!  I knew there was something different about the way Chaoscope was rendering Julias because I could never reproduce that  (or even get a good approximation in other software.  I actually never heard it called "Depth Limiting" before and that may have been causing me to miss some options - I'll have to re-check and try again.

And I only mentioned Incendia because of my budget  sad  It's free version makes better obj files than the free version of Xenodream  (which I still can't fit into the overly tight budget around here).  But if you can approximate that in Xenodream, feel free to post the xep file and I'll be sure to post something made from it using those fancy 3D programs I love so much   afro

The Level control sets the iteration level for depth first ray casting, according to the manual.
In Chaoscope, just set the Level control to 15 (press Enter after editing numbers) to see roughly what it would look like in XD. There seems to be a bug with level 16 or higher, as it changes scale. Also, the sign of Ci seems to be reversed. It doesn't look nearly as good for exporting as the smoother version.

Regards, Garth
http://xenodream.com
mclarekin
Fractal Senior

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2013, 01:42:02 AM »

This post takes me down memory lane and it was cool to revisit my forgotten chaoscope images ( Chaoscope being my first fractal experience).
Now for my first experiment of using "Attach".

* Duck Season.jpg (23.2 KB, 640x480 - viewed 292 times.)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: