Logo by DsyneGrafix - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Follow us on Twitter

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 25, 2024, 07:34:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: The best way to explore a Fragmentarium hybrid...  (Read 3402 times)
Description: spline path, smoothed things out and squishing a few bugs
3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2013, 04:02:53 AM »

How about a poll?

Should things that change the world be kept separate from things that change the object?
ie: camera path/settings vs object parameters/attributes

Harkening back to my early days with Turbo Silver (Amiga raytracer) the object edit mode and camera edit mode were in separate view ports, the camera had a single perspective view while the object had three X,Y&Z ortho views each using 1/4 of the screen, a pretty standard sort of thing now. The global editor handled things like camera, background, lighting, environment maps, while  the object editor handled points, lines, polygons and their colors, attributes and materials. It was comfortable and worked well. In this case we don't have an object with points and polys to edit just a formula with lots of parameters and in some cases the object is the world. What used to take hours on my 16Mhz 68000 cpu now gets rendered in milliseconds, oh how things have changed, maybe I'm just being nostalgic smiley

now back to animating....

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

#B^] https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Fractals/fragmentarium
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2013, 09:52:39 AM »

Soon ihope to begin a de based renderer haha if none other starts first
in fact the thinking is reasonable and the camera needs more sophisticated control  in such a de based environment an additional obstacle comes into play one has to deal with drasric scale changes so that when zoomed very deep the control has to reflect that and move slower

in my eyes fragmentarium should not aim for a full set of threed controls, it is a convenient gpu editor which can be used for other things than threed scenes but nevertheless the animation tools need improvement editing pathes of parameters is just a pure joy especially sincr they adjust dynamically to new params

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2013, 10:02:43 PM »

Yes you're right, it's not a "3d scene modeler" it's a "fragment/vertex shader editor", the 3 things I've implemented, path, morph, and focal plane target, were just to see if I could and cuz I wanted them, really the first thing I said after playing with Fragmentarium for the first time was "how do I animate this, I want to fly around in there".
It's done to my satisfaction in that I can use it now to make some funky animations, I probably won't do much more coding unless something bugs me to the point where I just have to fix it but will always be available for input and Qt bug busting wink

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2013, 10:44:08 PM »

when zoomed very deep the control has to reflect that and move slower

shift+mousewheel adjusts the step size but automatic adjustment would be nice, the question will be:how to tell when zoomed in as opposed to just moving around. Leads me to think it will always be a manual thing.

currently in Fragmentarium the FOV is adjusted with the xyz eye position when zooming with left mouse + right mouse + move but the FOV is not adjusted when zooming with the mouse wheel. also the value is 0.0 - 2.0, needs to be in human terms like degrees.
So, real (photographic) zoom = FOV+/- while the eye xyz position remains the same, in 3D computer generated world FOV and xyz make zoom so to tell how zoomed you are you need to test FOV, xyz eye pos and distance to surface. A photographer would use Macro lens when close to subject and telephoto lens for far away, so really same thing in 3d world, the animator/artist has to setup for the type of scene, in the heart of a flower? or taking in a panoramic vista?.

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: