Logo by bib - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Follow us on Twitter

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 24, 2024, 05:28:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: The best way to explore a Fragmentarium hybrid...  (Read 3396 times)
Description: spline path, smoothed things out and squishing a few bugs
3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« on: August 13, 2013, 06:18:18 AM »

Spline paths over 28 Keyframes 1500 Frames 60 Seconds
Rendered with Fragmentarium 1.0b+

<a href="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=72241427" target="_blank">http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=72241427</a>

I think this "world" is going to be explored a few more times.

Source Code Modified from v0.9.51 "Amber"
 Windows Executable Compiled against Qt 5.1.1 with MinGW 4.8.1 on a Windows 7 box.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 05:32:24 AM by 3dickulus, Reason: url » Logged

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

#B^] https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Fractals/fragmentarium
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 07:48:25 AM »

awesome! the camera path is perfect!

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 11:43:30 AM »

Thanks  cheesy
starting from scratch was a good thing.

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

Syntopia
Fractal Molossus

syntopiadk
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 10:38:06 PM »

Looks great. Very smooth camera control.
3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 11:47:03 PM »

tnx  cheesy

I used a spline function from Inigo Quilez, I did have to modify it so that the start and end points landed on the first and last control points but that was just a little bit of logic and not my math skills that made it work. Have a look at the next animation, Liberta, there you can see where it breaks down at the end, not enough decimal places in a float me thinks.

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

Dinkydau
Fractal Senior

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 08:47:22 PM »

I love the atmosphere in this video.

3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 09:08:49 PM »

tnx  smiley

I like the "Alien Organic" sort of fractals but some of the intricate geometric stuff is very cool too.

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 09:16:14 PM »

that animation possibilities is just nice, until now it was so hard to make a decent
animation out of a fragmentarium script, just consider what is possible with keyframing
regarding that kalis winner image of this years axolotl section was a single fragmentarium script wink

---

3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 09:42:02 PM »

it's not enough to create keyframes, still need to implement a good management system, maybe the "Animation Controller" window will make a comeback as "Keyframe Editor" and save them as a separate file instead of wedging them into presets and settings.

I hope I've got this board off to a good start

maybe we'll see a deep exploration of kalis winner soon  wink

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

Syntopia
Fractal Molossus

syntopiadk
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2013, 10:02:15 PM »

I kind of like the idea of storing data in presets, though. I think it would work out alright with a few changes.

It would be possible to create animations without messing up the original fragment, just by including the file before starting making an animation, e.g.

Code:
#include "fractal.frag"

#preset Keyframe 0.1
pos= 23,45
#endpreset

#preset Keyframe 0.3
pos= 28,56
#endpreset

Especially, if the system automatically sorted the entries and removed any redundant parameters that didn't change between keyframes.

This way the UI could do with a simple 'Animation' toolbar, with buttons for [Add Keyframe] and [Write Keyframe Presets] and [Read Keyframe Presets].
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2013, 10:05:52 PM »

embarrass
isnt there a function for save a current param configuration as preset huh?
 embarrass

---

Syntopia
Fractal Molossus

syntopiadk
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2013, 10:16:12 PM »

embarrass
isnt there a function for save a current param configuration as preset huh?
 embarrass

Sure, but I imagined the button would write all the keyframes to the editor, sorted, and with the proper time stamps, and removed redundant settings.
3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2013, 11:12:10 PM »

@Syntopia: I kind of like the idea of storing data in presets, though. I think it would work out alright with a few changes.
It would be possible to create animations without messing up the original fragment, just by including the file before starting making an animation, e.g.

the way you layout the GLSL frag side of things lends itself well to that idea, I imagine the keyframes portion could be "#include"ed at the end of a fragment as well.

@Syntopia: Especially, if the system automatically sorted the entries and removed any redundant parameters that didn't change between keyframes.
This way the UI could do with a simple 'Animation' toolbar, with buttons for [Add Keyframe] and [Write Keyframe Presets] and [Read Keyframe Presets].

there's so much more to keyframing than add/read/write there's also twiddle, fiddle, adjust, compensate, rearrange, insert, remove etc.
I had an "entity" in mind that presents a list of current available parameters to add/remove, with each in the "added" list for this keyframe presenting options based on what kind of parameter it is when selected for editing.
Also using "default" preset for parameters that don't change and being able to drag flags along a timeline to position the in/out points for this keyframe.
There is also the idea of overlapping transitions, how does that fit into one keyframe? something else in my mind is per/parameter timeline that is to say: eye/target paths use keyframes to represent controlpoints but parameter transitions may not sync-up with what the camera is doing and so each one needs a timeline of their own.

@cKleinhuis: isnt there a function for save a current param configuration as preset huh?

F8 key (3dickulus version) grin saves to editor as preset or keyframe, for preset it jumps to the end of file, for keyframe inserts at cursor or overwrites marked block.

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

Syntopia
Fractal Molossus

syntopiadk
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2013, 11:53:04 PM »

the way you layout the GLSL frag side of things lends itself well to that idea, I imagine the keyframes portion could be "#include"ed at the end of a fragment as well.

there's so much more to keyframing than add/read/write there's also twiddle, fiddle, adjust, compensate, rearrange, insert, remove etc.
I had an "entity" in mind that presents a list of current available parameters to add/remove, with each in the "added" list for this keyframe presenting options based on what kind of parameter it is when selected for editing.
Also using "default" preset for parameters that don't change and being able to drag flags along a timeline to position the in/out points for this keyframe.

The idea was that you could create some keyframes, and then write them as a set of preset. Then if you needed to remove or adjust or fine tune some of them, you could just do it in the text file and press the 'Read Keyframe Presets' button to parse the changes.

There is also the idea of overlapping transitions, how does that fit into one keyframe? something else in my mind is per/parameter timeline that is to say: eye/target paths use keyframes to represent controlpoints but parameter transitions may not sync-up with what the camera is doing and so each one needs a timeline of their own.

I imagine that when you pressed the 'Add Keyframe' buton, it would create a keyframe but only with the changed information compared to previous keyframes. This would make overlapping transitions easy, e.g.

Code:
#preset Keyframe 0.2
Param1 = 1

#preset Keyframe 0.5
Param2 = 1

#preset Keyframe 0.7
Param1 = 5

#preset Keyframe 0.9
Param2 = 13
3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2013, 01:13:52 AM »

Then if you needed to remove or adjust or fine tune some of them, you could just do it in the text file

easy for coder, confusing for artist, but anyone working with Fragmentarium should have some idea of what the numbers are doing when they tweak them a little this way or a little that way

This would make overlapping transitions easy

yes, that works smiley I have kept the camera/path keyframes separate from the other parameter settings just so I can keep from getting confused and work on one thing at a time, my implementation of each works smoothly, now just need to refine and merge them.

saving fov,eye,target,up as path keys, (the absolute minimum for a valid preset,I think?) with parameter datas saved on one line as...
Code:
/// Power:SineCurve:43:1:6:20:220:0.3:1:1.7
representing...
|parseflag|varName|curveName|curveNumber|startVal|endVal|startFrame|endFrame|period|amplitude|overshoot

the last three are QPropertyAnimation settings only valid for some easing curve types but included with default values for all

edit: part of the reason I've kept them separate is that parameter easing curves are very different than eye/target paths, mathematically identical, sure a curve is a curve but completely different in what they represent.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 03:33:22 AM by 3dickulus, Reason: clarification » Logged

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: