Logo by wmauzey - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit the official fractalforums.com Youtube Channel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 28, 2024, 09:43:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Summer Improv  (Read 1183 times)
Description: A collaboration project.
eiffie
« on: August 05, 2013, 06:26:52 PM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/04cRjOTl_Qk&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/04cRjOTl_Qk&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1</a>

The forum user degobi and I collaborated on this video and we would love to get some input. I was testing out some changes to a GI script with volume lighting and Andy had an improvisational piano piece that fit nicely to it. Any suggestions for improvement?
knighty
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 07:06:50 PM »

nicely done! I like it.

why improve? anyway, you get what you deserve  evil  fiery tongue stuck out :
- there is no story. it's just a fly through a static object. needs more variation(?) or may be it's too long.
- the thing that we are following actually distracts from seeing anything else.
- I find the mood too dark (and maybe a little bit pessimistic). GI looks better when there is lot of light smiley.
- At some point I had to turn the music off.

... Or maybe I'm just jealous. lol!

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 07:41:17 PM »

it is nice, music is nice, for me the background is too empty...

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
VanlindtMarc
Conqueror

vanlindt.marc
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 10:21:42 PM »

Very impressive!  Congratulations!

eiffie
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 11:14:47 PM »

Good feedback thanks - yes the background is too empty and its just a fly thru, but stories are HARD! Maybe I can find someone to write a storyline?!?! I always wanted to make a video of one of Weaver's tales.
mclarekin
Fractal Senior

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 02:20:28 AM »

nice reflective surfaces. The bit at about 2.00 then repeated darker about 2.20 is a great image

BUT except for the more distant shots, the overall fly thru speed was a bit too fast for my eyesight brain connection to fully appreciate the fractal formations on display IMHO  smiley  Still gets a five star rating from me.
taurus
Fractal Supremo

profile.php?id=1339106810 @taurus_arts_66
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 12:08:12 PM »

I always wanted to make a video of one of Weaver's tales.
That's a great idea! O K !!

From the spontanous first glance, I like the backwards-flight most, that starts around 0:56. Dunno really why, maybe 'cos of the depth relation with fog in this sequence.

when life offers you a lemon, get yourself some salt and tequila!
DaveH
Explorer

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 04:52:04 PM »

The actual fractal shape and reflections look great. The thing I noticed the most was the orange sky though.
Why does the fractal appear lacking in detail and mostly dark? Perhaps turn down the occlusion a bit, and add some gamma correction to the fractal lighting model. Remember that the whole area will be lit by that bright sky, so perhaps have another light opposite the current one with an orange tint?
eiffie
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 06:12:44 PM »

Dave there are NO lights. lol What I mean is the background is the only lighting so it is ALL ambient (why there are no distinct shadows). I should have played with the material of the box a bit more to make it lighter. The lack of detail is a low iteration count so I could fire a bunch of rays per pixel. But your right my lighting model is WHACK. I love it for its simplicity.
vec3 LER=vec3(1.0);//light energy remaining
//...march loop
//...hit a surface so bounce the ray probabilistically
//the farther a ray bounces from a perfect reflection/refraction the more energy it loses
LER*=mix(material.diffuseColor,vec3(1.0),pow(abs(dot(rayDirection,perfectReflectionDir)),material.specularExponent)*material.specularity);
//...end of march loop
color=LER*BackgroundColor(rayDirection);//the final color is just the remaining energy of light * the background source light

...and gamma correction would help too smiley

Anybody have any ideas on the lighting model? Is it too simplistic?
Pauldelbrot
Fractal Senior

pderbyshire2
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2013, 02:02:09 AM »

This is beautiful. smiley

Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

nahee_enterprises Nahee.Enterprises NaheeEnterprise
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2013, 01:36:49 PM »

youtube.com/watch?v=04cRjOTl_Qk
    The forum user degobi and I collaborated on this video and we would love to get some input.
    I was testing out some changes to a GI script with volume lighting and Andy had an improvisational
    piano piece that fit nicely to it.   Any suggestions for improvement?

I understand this was just a collection of flybys that were put together in a single video, and each one had its unique qualities, but personally I prefer a continuous non-ending stream without "breaks" in the flow.  A couple of times it appeared to be repeating the same areas again.  But it was interesting watching the "box" fly around and even project light from itself.     cheesy

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: