Logo by Fiery - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit us on facebook

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 28, 2024, 09:35:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Video compression problem  (Read 1920 times)
Mikelo
Forums Freshman

« on: June 25, 2013, 03:41:45 PM »

I recently tried to make an animation using the image files output by Fragmentarium. I use an AVISynth script to import the files into VirtualDub. The animation is fine with no compression, but if I apply XVid MPEG4 compression I get an error code 100 (could be corrupted data). I'm using exactly the same procedure I've used dozens of times to stitch together files from Mandelbulb 3D. I've compared the files output by Fragmentarium with those of M3D and I can't see any difference other than the image size (which seems to be a problem in Fragmentarium).
Has anyone come across this problem? 
eiffie
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 04:25:19 PM »

I am guessing the image size needs to be some standard - a quick search for xvid error 100 says something about a size divisible by 4. Try batch resizing your images before compressing. (and keep bugging Syntopia to set a fixed output size). smiley
Mikelo
Forums Freshman

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 05:10:13 PM »

Thanks very much! I just assumed that Error 100 was a VirtualDub error, so I wouldn't have looked up XVid (other than seeing 'No known restrictions' in VirtualDub.)
That makes perfect sense. Now the only problem (as you point out) is how to get the size right without having to batch resize, which must introduce degradation to the image.
I had intended to post this message in the Fragmentarium image size thread originally as I suspected it was related.
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 05:37:54 PM »

virtualdub contains a nice cropping filter, use it like this:

apply "null filter"
this enables the "crop" button in the filter window

and then adjust it to your desired size, with that you can encode just any image format, usually you have to bring it to some standard aspect ratio like 4:3, 4:5 o16:9 16:10 or something

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
Mikelo
Forums Freshman

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 06:14:08 PM »

Thanks very much, Mr Kleinhuis. I works perfectly!
I can see now that the render size in Fragmentarium is based on the size of the viewport. If you want to render at 1920x1080 and you don't have a screen that big, re-adjust the size of the viewport to a fraction of that size, e.g. half (960x540) or very slightly larger if you can't get it just right. Then in the render dialog set render quality to 2x2 tiles, do the render, then if necessary the images can be cropped using the filter in VirtualDub.
 cheesy
Syntopia
Fractal Molossus

syntopiadk
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 05:05:57 PM »

Thanks very much, Mr Kleinhuis. I works perfectly!
I can see now that the render size in Fragmentarium is based on the size of the viewport. If you want to render at 1920x1080 and you don't have a screen that big, re-adjust the size of the viewport to a fraction of that size, e.g. half (960x540) or very slightly larger if you can't get it just right. Then in the render dialog set render quality to 2x2 tiles, do the render, then if necessary the images can be cropped using the filter in VirtualDub.
 cheesy

Unfortunately you can't render tilebased animations yet.
Mikelo
Forums Freshman

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 10:44:09 AM »

Do you mean that you can only render up to the size you can display on screen?
Syntopia
Fractal Molossus

syntopiadk
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 04:14:01 PM »

Do you mean that you can only render up to the size you can display on screen?

Yes - animations must follow viewport size.
Feline
Alien

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 06:07:01 AM »

... however if you hit "escape" (and close the uniforms-window) you can use the whole screen as your viewport...  grin
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: