Logo by blob - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Did you know ? you can use LaTex inside Postings on fractalforums.com!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 28, 2024, 05:46:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: FRGMENTARIUM 3DICKULUS - Catmull-Rom spline paths ! camera/parameter keyframes !  (Read 33141 times)
Description: adding spline paths for smooth transitions between key frames
_revers_
Conqueror

« Reply #165 on: November 04, 2016, 02:01:16 PM »

If you really want cube map textures out of the box you could try Synthclipse. It's basically Fragmentarium based on Eclipse IDE, with some extensions.
How to use cube map texture you can see here.
And a live example you can find in the main menu -> Synthclipse -> Fragx Examples -> Synthclipse -> test-cube-map-texture.fragx

You can import your existing work using Framgentarium Importer

(I hope that this post doesn't sound like a dirty advertisement [since I'm the author of Synthclipse]. I've just wanted to point out that the cube map textures are already available in similar to Fragmentarium software)
3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #166 on: November 05, 2016, 03:31:06 AM »

SPAM !!! @_revers_  tease

lol no, I recommend synthclipse to others too, if it does what you want and Fragmentarium doesn't then logic dictates that it is the one to use wink

...but to explain a bit, the framework for applying texture options is in place and working, Syntopia put it there, I just added a few things like mipmap and anisotropy options, if you have a look at the sources you will see this incomplete list of other texture options that I just didn't feel were practical to add given that they have nothing to do with exploring fractals...

GL_TEXTURE_ENV
GL_TEXTURE_ENV_MODE
GL_TEXTURE_1D
GL_TEXTURE_2D
GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_S
GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_T
GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER
GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER
GL_TEXTURE_ENV_COLOR
GL_TEXTURE_GEN_S
GL_TEXTURE_GEN_T
GL_TEXTURE_GEN_R
GL_TEXTURE_GEN_Q
GL_TEXTURE_GEN_MODE
GL_TEXTURE_BORDER_COLOR
GL_TEXTURE_WIDTH
GL_TEXTURE_HEIGHT
GL_TEXTURE_BORDER
GL_TEXTURE_COMPONENTS
GL_TEXTURE_RED_SIZE
GL_TEXTURE_GREEN_SIZE
GL_TEXTURE_BLUE_SIZE
GL_TEXTURE_ALPHA_SIZE
GL_TEXTURE_LUMINANCE_SIZE
GL_TEXTURE_INTENSITY_SIZE
GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_NEAREST
GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_LINEAR
GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_NEAREST
GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR
GL_OBJECT_LINEAR
GL_OBJECT_PLANE
GL_EYE_LINEAR
GL_EYE_PLANE
GL_SPHERE_MAP
GL_DECAL
GL_MODULATE
GL_NEAREST
GL_REPEAT
GL_CLAMP
GL_S
GL_T
GL_R
GL_Q

...some are already there just behind the scenes where they are needed to get the job done and implementing more or exposing all to user control would only serve to confuse most users and raise a lot of questions. In order to make effective use of these things one needs a good understanding of GL programming and operation, and then there's the debugging  shocked so I re-iterate, if anyone wants to do it I would be more than happy to offer some input because I have come to know my way around the source very well.

edit: there is also, in the source code, some experimental GL_TEXTURE_3D code, this code loads and displays a multipart EXR file as a 3D texture volume but that's as far as I got with it, I never took it all the way to a working version in a frag with a sampler3D, just loads and displays it. The code has been commented out but not deleted just in case me or someone wants to learn from it or implement it fully. As discussed here http://www.fractalforums.com/fragmentarium/generating-wave-front-obj-files-from-exr-voxel-cube/
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 05:53:54 AM by 3dickulus, Reason: GL_TEXTURE_3D » Logged

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

#B^] https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Fractals/fragmentarium
Crist-JRoger
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #167 on: November 05, 2016, 10:50:22 AM »

the short answer is no
Thank you.

"How does this relate to exploring fractals and math?"
You always ask this question. But I asked about renderer, not about math or fractals.

3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #168 on: November 05, 2016, 05:33:42 PM »

yes, I always ask that question because that is "the" question.

Does Frag support textureCube function?
what kind of texture cube? sky-box? (inside looking out) 3D volume? (outside looking in)
If yes, please show basic example.
render to 3D texture? generate cube faces instead of single equirectangular view? sample from 3D texture? sample cube faces?

FragM can render a cube with a texture on the surface...

or do you means like this ?

https://graphics.ethz.ch/teaching/former/imagesynthesis_06/miniprojects/p3/

this is the "Catmull-Rom spline paths ! camera/parameter keyframes !" thread, I think your question might need to be it's own thread to generate discussion on that topic, if there are many people interested in this I'm sure it will come to be.

in a round-about way FRagM does support sky-box texture cubes, but, you have to setup 6 sampler2d textures and then do the math to sample them for reflections and background, basically build a cube and put the camera at the center... but it's not already done for you, and it's something that can be done with fragment code and the tools already provided by the GUI.

Maybe a math brain larger than mine will contribute a sky-box fragment huh? but imho the IBL-Raytracer does a great job of this already

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

Crist-JRoger
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #169 on: November 05, 2016, 06:16:24 PM »

no no no  grin easy way )
I mean textureCube (samplerCube sampler, coord) how early say. Just it, no more. Yes, skybox

Why here - i thought it's topic about new Frag versions and no need create new topic.

3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #170 on: November 06, 2016, 12:12:22 AM »

so might need a new sampler named samplerCube and support code

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

swingsoneto
Forums Newbie

« Reply #171 on: April 05, 2017, 08:10:16 PM »

My apologies if I'm derailing this thread from its intended direction. I'm using the patched build and enjoying the EXR support, but I'm getting some unpredictable crashes when trying to render to EXR. If I try to render above 1600x900, I have to set the tiles to 5x5. Even then, I've found only a few settings that will render without crashing (2000x1125 resolution works, for example). I'd like to be able to drop the number of tiles for faster rendering. Is there a setting that will render greater-than-HD resolution at 2x2 tiles?
3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #172 on: April 06, 2017, 03:30:36 AM »

@swingsoneto dropping the number of tiles does not equate to faster rendering, the optimum tile size depends on your gfx card

I just rendered a few test EXR images @ 3840x2160 with various tile sizes and they look as expected, ideally, the tile size should be a multiple of the number of threads/warps that your card can manage, for instance on this card...
Code:
deviceQueryDrv Starting...

CUDA Device Query (Driver API) statically linked version
Detected 1 CUDA Capable device(s)

Device 0: "GeForce GTX 760"
  CUDA Driver Version:                           8.0
  CUDA Capability Major/Minor version number:    3.0
  Total amount of global memory:                 1994 MBytes (2090991616 bytes)
  ( 6) Multiprocessors x (192) CUDA Cores/MP:    1152 CUDA Cores
  GPU Clock rate:                                1058 MHz (1.06 GHz)
  Memory Clock rate:                             3004 Mhz
  Memory Bus Width:                              256-bit
  L2 Cache Size:                                 524288 bytes
  Max Texture Dimension Sizes                    1D=(65536) 2D=(65536,65536) 3D=(4096,4096,4096)
  Max Layered Texture Size (dim) x layers        1D=(16384) x 2048, 2D=(16384,16384) x 2048
  Total amount of constant memory:               65536 bytes
  Total amount of shared memory per block:       49152 bytes
  Total number of registers available per block: 65536
  Warp size:                                     32
  Maximum number of threads per multiprocessor:  2048
  Maximum number of threads per block:           1024
  Maximum sizes of each dimension of a block:    1024 x 1024 x 64
  Maximum sizes of each dimension of a grid:     2147483647 x 65535 x 65535
  Texture alignment:                             512 bytes
  Maximum memory pitch:                          2147483647 bytes
  Concurrent copy and kernel execution:          Yes with 1 copy engine(s)
  Run time limit on kernels:                     Yes
  Integrated GPU sharing Host Memory:            No
  Support host page-locked memory mapping:       Yes
  Concurrent kernel execution:                   Yes
  Alignment requirement for Surfaces:            Yes
  Device has ECC support:                        Disabled
  Device supports Unified Addressing (UVA):      Yes
  Device PCI Bus ID / PCI location ID:           1 / 0
  Compute Mode:
     < Default (multiple host threads can use ::cudaSetDevice() with device simultaneously) >

...there is virtually no difference in render speed, regardless of tile size but I use 128x72 (30x30) tiles because they render fast enough to make the desktop useable, too big and the desktop lag starts to get annoying. If I want to see what's rendering I choose something like 384x216 (10x10) tiles for a 3840x2160 image.

Using Qt for the other image formats (jpg png bmp etc...) allows a max of 16384x16384, this is an internal Qt limitation, but with EXR format the data gets saved directly to a file so there is no limit on the image size when using EXR format, this format will also save the depth buffer as the alpha channel if you want.

maybe one of the mods can move this to one of the EXR topic threads. wink

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

swingsoneto
Forums Newbie

« Reply #173 on: April 06, 2017, 11:17:37 PM »

To keep the conversation in one place, I'll continue the discussion in the other thread - http://www.fractalforums.com/general-discussion/fragmentarium-exr-crashes/  smiley
swingsoneto
Forums Newbie

« Reply #174 on: April 07, 2017, 04:37:44 PM »

Since this is where a discussion about keyframe and easing curve settings is happening, I thought it'd be appropriate to post this here. How would I go about animating a single parameter using multiple keyframes?  For instance, to animate a rotation parameter with multiple keyframes over the course of an animation? I've figured out the usage of the Range-nnn-nnn presets already, I just haven't figured out how to use them for multiple keyframes on the same parameter.
3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #175 on: April 08, 2017, 03:19:34 AM »

Range-nnn-nnn presets are a way to save easing curve settings with a name that is a reminder for the human, these nnn-nnn numbers are not interpreted and applied automatically by FragM, just a way to keep them organized and nnn-nnn doesn't have to be numbers.
So to animate anything complex for a single parameter you have to apply some standard video editing techniques ie:render segments and edit them together, the rendered frames will all be numbered consecutively and you should be able to use the "Video Encoding" dialog to create mp4 mpeg avi mkv etc. if you have ffmpeg or mencoder installed, have not tested this on windows but works perfectly on linux.

Keyframes = camera/target paths
Range-nnn-nnn = easing curves for parameters
These are independent of each other, example proofs of concept really, but very useful.

it might go like this...

create a number of keyframes to get the flight you want
create a number of ranges to morph the scene/landscape in some way
then...
apply range 1
render range 1
apply range 2
render range 2
apply range 3
render range 3
then...
make a video from the rendered images

The "apply/render" process can be automated via script control so you don't have to do it entirely manually but you will have to look at the example scripts and play with it until you get the results you want. Under the "Help" menu there should be info on the commands available in a control script.

Please bear in mind that this program was created by Syntopia as an environment for exploring math and fractals on the GPU via fragment code, a GLSL development environment, it is not intended to be a video editing suite but does have a high degree of control that makes exploring fractals and sharing them a lot of fun.

oh, and if you have applied easing curves to many parameters you can click with the right mouse button on the "Time" slider in the main window and you will get a dialog that shows the ranges and parameter names in a time line, here you can drag a range to change its position and the change will be applied.

...going to start looking for the EXR bug tonight wink

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

swingsoneto
Forums Newbie

« Reply #176 on: April 08, 2017, 05:22:27 PM »

Ah, okay, that's what I'd been doing, rendering out each segment with a preset applied.  Glad to know that's how it's done then.  I'm bringing my segments together in BMD Fusion and NLEs for further editing.

Also, I didn't even realize that Fragmentarium worked on Linux. Is the EXR bug nonexistent on Linux? I'm dual-booting Ubuntu and Windows 10, so that would be interesting to me.
3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #177 on: April 08, 2017, 08:20:40 PM »

Also, I didn't even realize that Fragmentarium worked on Linux. Is the EXR bug nonexistent on Linux? I'm dual-booting Ubuntu and Windows 10, so that would be interesting to me.

I use SuSE 13.2 on my dev box with the nVidia proprietary drivers, I'm not sure if there are any issues with the nouveau opensource driver.
You will have to compile it yourself from source for a linux version but this will give you an executable that is optimized for your machine.
The EXR bug exists with both OSs but seems to be more tolerant under linux. Just looking at it now...

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

swingsoneto
Forums Newbie

« Reply #178 on: April 10, 2017, 02:12:58 PM »

Is there source available for 1.0.28? I'd like to compile it on Ubuntu. I realize I'm probably overlooking an obvious link, but I didn't see it here: http://www.digilanti.org/fragmentarium/  Of course, now that I scrutinize that page more closely, I realize all the instructions on setting eases are spelled out very clearly there. smiley  My bad.
3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #179 on: April 11, 2017, 05:28:35 AM »

ask and ye shall receive...

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: