Logo by kr0mat1k - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Check out the originating "3d Mandelbulb" thread here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 26, 2024, 06:45:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Fragmentarium-Anti Aliasing  (Read 1809 times)
JosLeys
Strange Attractor

« on: June 14, 2013, 06:59:01 PM »

Anti-aliasing is basically averaging out the colors of adjacent pixels.

This normally requires to go through the whole distance finding and coloring process not just for the pixel in question, but also for at least 8 other pixels.
This obviously slows things down, so my question is, can this not be done using a screen buffer?

Calculate every pixel of the image and then do an averaging step on the all the pixels already calculated. I guess this should be much faster.

Has anyone tried to implement this, or am I talking nonsense?

I looked at the "Working with the back buffer.frag" file in Tutorials, but I'm not sure I understand how it works.

eiffie
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 08:00:48 PM »

The scripts that have anti-aliasing use sub-pixels to create an averaged pixel. There isn't any redundancy in the samples - they are all unique. Definitely you can use the backBuffer to average pixels but the result will looked blurred.
Syntopia
Fractal Molossus

syntopiadk
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 11:48:03 PM »

Anti-aliasing is basically averaging out the colors of adjacent pixels.

This normally requires to go through the whole distance finding and coloring process not just for the pixel in question, but also for at least 8 other pixels.

As Eiffie said, super sampling anti-aliasing works by choosing a number of samples inside the pixel area and averaging those. You do not need a specific number of samples (uniform grid sampling use a square number of samples, but it is no requirement), and you may assign different weights to them depending on the distance from the center. You may also sample outside the pixel area for a softer look.

There are other types of removing alias artifacts. For instance, computer games often use pure screen space based methods such as FXAA, because of the speed:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_approximate_anti-aliasing
but I doubt this method will work for fractals.
marius
Fractal Lover

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 12:20:34 AM »

There are other types of removing alias artifacts. For instance, computer games often use pure screen space based methods such as FXAA, because of the speed:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_approximate_anti-aliasing
but I doubt this method will work for fractals.

fwiw, I use a bastardized FXAA in boxplorer2 for real-time DoF effects. To some effect.
https://code.google.com/p/boxplorer2/source/browse/trunk/cfgs/rrrola/effects_fragment.glsl
Syntopia
Fractal Molossus

syntopiadk
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 12:45:36 AM »

fwiw, I use a bastardized FXAA in boxplorer2 for real-time DoF effects. To some effect.
https://code.google.com/p/boxplorer2/source/browse/trunk/cfgs/rrrola/effects_fragment.glsl

Looks interesting! What about without DOF? It is worth applying FXAA or does it just blur the boundaries a bit?
marius
Fractal Lover

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 01:17:46 AM »

Looks interesting! What about without DOF? It is worth applying FXAA or does it just blur the boundaries a bit?

yeah, adding a plain FXAA option is on the todo list.
Plain FXAA (edit the .glsl) does reduce flickering pixels a lot and detail a bit. Fairly pleasant looking.

But it sure is speedy which is pretty essential w/ devices like Oculus.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: