Logo by bib - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit the official fractalforums.com Youtube Channel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 29, 2024, 12:05:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: opencl/compilation problems with mandelbulber  (Read 3073 times)
d13b
Forums Newbie

« on: June 06, 2013, 04:08:37 PM »

hello!

i would like to use mandelbulber with opencl support.
opencl works with my ati radeon 5850 card (catalyst 13.4)
i'm using debian (unstable, /mandelbulber_1%3a1.15-1_i386.deb) and the debian version comes without opencl-support, so i tried to compile mandelbulber from svn (rev 348) but failed:

Invoking: GCC C++ Linker
g++ -o"mandelbulber" -L/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/  ./src/Render3D.o ./src/algebra.o ./src/callbacks.o ./src/cimage.o ./src/cl_support.o ./src/common_math.o ./src/database.o ./src/files.o ./src/fractal.o ./src/image.o ./src/interface.o ./src/morph.o ./src/primitives.o ./src/settings.o ./src/shaders.o ./src/texture.o ./src/timeline.o ./src/undo.o   -lpng -ljpeg  `pkg-config --libs gtk+-2.0 gthread-2.0`
./src/Render3D.o: In function `Render(sParamRender, cImage*, _GtkWidget*)':
Render3D.cpp:(.text+0x3389): undefined reference to `netRender'
Render3D.cpp:(.text+0x34a5): undefined reference to `CNetRender::sendDataToClient(void*, unsigned int, char*, int, int)'

any suggestions, what i am doing wrong?
and: is the svn-version of mandelbulber the correct one for opencl-support?

thanks for tips & hints
d13b
d13b
Forums Newbie

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 07:05:52 PM »

hello again!

after some fiddling with the sources, i got mandelbulber compiled and installed with opencl support.
it runs, but i'm havnig a hard time getting meaningful results. except for "tglad's formula" i get mostly plain colored images, no fractals.
is there any fundamentally difference in the settings, when using opencl or is it just not yet implemented for most formulas?

and: my openCL information shows
GPU memory: 0MB
is that normal?

clinfo shows:
Max memory allocation:                         134217728
Global memory size:                            536870912
Local memory type:                             Scratchpad
Local memory size:                             32768

thanks in advance for helping
d13b
hobold
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 08:55:42 PM »

and: my openCL information shows
GPU memory: 0MB
is that normal?

clinfo shows:
Max memory allocation:                         134217728
Global memory size:                            536870912
Local memory type:                             Scratchpad
Local memory size:                             32768

Zero megabytes seems a bit odd, but further down it's 512 MB of "global" memory on the graphics card. A limit of 128MB for an individual allocation is normal for this generation of AMD GPU, too, as far as I know.

And while I don't know mandelbulber specifically, I think you are guessing right that each individual formula needs to be prepared for OpenCL by a programmer. It's not as simple as flicking a switch.
taurus
Fractal Supremo

profile.php?id=1339106810 @taurus_arts_66
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 10:18:36 PM »

buddhi implemented only a few formulas
http://www.fractalforums.com/releases-b233/mandelbulber-1-09-experimental-opencl-support/msg38745/#msg38745
donno which ones besides the mandelbox.

I'd be thankful if you could give some hints, how you managed to install on an ati/amd gpu. As linux noob I failed on ubuntu 12.04 lts

when life offers you a lemon, get yourself some salt and tequila!
d13b
Forums Newbie

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 12:25:57 AM »

to get opencl working in debian linux, i installed the debian amd-opencl-dev package amd's proprietary drivers (amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13-4-linux-x86.x86_64.zip and AMD-APP-SDK-v2.8-RC-lnx32.tgz from amd.com), then configured X to use the fglrx drivers. (aticonfig worked).

the bigger task was to compile mandelbulber, since make didn't work out and i had to rewrite some make helperfiles and enable the opencl support in the sources (#define CLSUPPORT was commented in cl_support.hpp and cl_support.cpp)

seems i will have to wait until opencl-support is more complete in mandelbulber, but it's indeed much faster than cpu-rendering from what i can tell now.

best
d13b

Buddhi
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 01:43:24 PM »

OpenCl feature was postponed by me for a some time (I had many problems with ATI Catalyst drivers on my desktop). It's possible, that is not possible to compile actual version with OpenCL enabled. However this month I have returned to this topic with very good results. Release 1.17 will have a lot of new features in OpenCl. I hope to publish something until the end of June. If somebody is curious about the progress please observe https://code.google.com/p/mandelbulber/source/list

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: