Logo by mrob - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Check out the originating "3d Mandelbulb" thread here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 20, 2024, 01:59:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Switching from Mac to PC  (Read 6770 times)
KRAFTWERK
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Virtual Surreality

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2013, 10:38:54 AM »

I followed some discussions about this topic and the main critics about the new machine is the hardwired ati graphics.
While in games graphics ati and nVidia are coequal, it is well known, that nVidia's Quadro Cards are up to double quick than amd's fire pro with professional CAD programs like Catia.
Many people are complaning abot that - and I can understand. As long as amd's fire pro drivers are as they are, they are not competitive. But maybe Apple can work a wonder here too.

Mhm.. but I also heard you can run any Graphics card external via Thunderbolt...

taurus
Fractal Supremo

profile.php?id=1339106810 @taurus_arts_66
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2013, 10:43:19 PM »

Mhm.. but I also heard you can run any Graphics card external via Thunderbolt...

Even if, you need to pay two professional graphics devices to get the opportunity... what is this?

I see within the net, that this discussion is still led like discussing a religious belief. I once saw this when changing from atari to mac (with the brilliant help of MagicMac). Back then, I needed this change, to lead my professional layout-software (calamus sl) to the new century. I once laughed about beeing named as a snitch and I will theese days as well.
I use a 'puter as a toolkit and not as a paradigm. As long as noone can disprove the benchmarks, they are fact for me... (sorry I chose an independent source)
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/firepro-w8000-w9000-benchmark,3265.html

To integrate the results. The firepro cards were close winners in a few, rare events, but beaten by a factor of up to 1:30 in many other competitions. Just some embarrassing ones for fractalers:

I really hope Apple can prove me wrong by dedicated benches...

when life offers you a lemon, get yourself some salt and tequila!
KRAFTWERK
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Virtual Surreality

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2013, 01:11:37 PM »

On this matter I think the Swedes have been eating too much fish Johan...the current model is way more expensive than that, and I think they will have mo problem in asking a premium on this model.....If the base system is $5k I'd be surprised, again, I'd love Apple to prove me wrong

Well... we will probably know the price in about 7 hours... Apple is having a press conference today!

KRAFTWERK
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Virtual Surreality

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2013, 08:27:22 AM »

I was just checking the discussions on a (very reliable) Swedish Mac Forum.
They were discussing the same thing about the price, if you were to buy the individual components it would end up above 10000 $ But usually Apple has deals with the graphic card/processor- etc- industry which (if the deals are like they used to be in earlier releases) their guess is that the price would end up around 2500 $ for the basic model and 5000$ "For the machine you want to have" wink

On this matter I think the Swedes have been eating too much fish Johan...the current model is way more expensive than that, and I think they will have mo problem in asking a premium on this model.....If the base system is $5k I'd be surprised, again, I'd love Apple to prove me wrong

The Mac Pro will start at $2,999... smiley The Swedish Fish isn't too bad to eat I guess...  afro

http://www.macrumors.com/roundup/mac-pro/

taurus
Fractal Supremo

profile.php?id=1339106810 @taurus_arts_66
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2013, 10:16:33 AM »

Just read abot the top model:

• Xeon E5 with 12 physical and 24 logical cores
  • 64 GByte DDR3-1866-ECC-RAM
  • 2 x FirePro D700 with 12GB graphics memory and 7 TFLOPS theoretical float performance
  • PCIe SSD with up to 1 TB capacity (read: 1,2 GB/s; write: 1 GB/s)
  • six Thunderbolt-2-Ports with 20 GB/s throughput each
  • can drive up to three 4K displays

For sure this machine won't be available for $3K, but dreaming is still allowed...

when life offers you a lemon, get yourself some salt and tequila!
LMarkoya
Strange Attractor

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2013, 08:21:04 PM »

Yopu got me there, but I too am happy at the $3k starting point for this machine....its still a tough sell to a wife though...and I think it will be a while before I own one....even if I drool as much as you for one smiley
KRAFTWERK
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Virtual Surreality

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2013, 08:32:45 PM »

Yopu got me there, but I too am happy at the $3k starting point for this machine....its still a tough sell to a wife though...and I think it will be a while before I own one....even if I drool as much as you for one smiley

smiley I know... I have been saving for a long time now... Have had the same computer for years.... so I guess this will be the only christmas gift I get this year, but that is OK wink

KRAFTWERK
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Virtual Surreality

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2013, 11:18:31 AM »

It was released today!

http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/mac-pro

This is going to hurt!!!  hurt

LMarkoya
Strange Attractor

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2013, 04:47:42 PM »

Yes....bt this is the good type of hurt....and we'll all be envious....keep us updated
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: